Forum Index > Trail Talk > Lifts for Nordic skiers?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 12:01 pm 
Four months from today, I'll be celebrating my birthday on a groomed trail in the Methow. (If I'm lucky, I'll be able to arrange a ride and do a Rendezvous traverse from Mazama to Winthrop.) I know there are plenty of folks here on nwhikers who love skiing as much as I do, and we all know the season is coming. I wonder if anybody else is doing things in the gym to have a better snow season? If so, what?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 12:04 pm 
I'll go first. Single leg Romanian deadlifts are probably the best thing I do. The carryover was obvious last year every time I turned with any speed. I'm doing cable kickbacks, but I'm not sure if they have much or any value. Seems like they should help with poling, but I'm uncertain. Renegade rows seem to help my shoulders be less sore after a long day on the trail.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 12:24 pm 
If you really want to get spicy, you can combine the SL RDL with a BSS. They are torture that is very very effective, lol. https://tonygentilcore.com/2015/06/exercises-you-should-be-doing-bulgarian-split-squat-to-rdl/ When I'm in the gym I'll also use a cable machine first set to the ground in a sumo squat-ish position and lift straight up to eye level with arms extended, simulating lifting the poles up. Then I'll get on a tall cable machine, put the pully all the way at the top, and use a couple long rope handles or straps to do a pull back/down into a sumo squat-ish position that simulates the push portion of the poling movement. Also do whatever you do for abs because they'll get hammered too.

~Mom jeans on wheels
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 12:40 pm 
Keep 'em off the lifts, I say! They always crash & burn when unloading and cause a cluster f for those on the chairs behind them.

Celticclimber

Celticclimber
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 1:30 pm 
I,too, can't wait for the flakes to fall. As for prepping: I stand with my back against the handles of the tread mill. And w/o turning it on, start pushing the belt away from me. That is the closest movement I can figure that mimics XC'ing.

Live every day like you will die to-marrow. For some day that will be true.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 3:24 pm 
Roller skis. Builds, fitness, balance and upper body/core strength. Double poling along the Samammish river river gets my heart rate higher than just about any other workout.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 4:54 pm 
Dave Mahre used to say that the way to get into shape for skiing was to ski. His kids did pretty well at it so there might be something to it.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 5:29 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Dave Mahre used to say that the way to get into shape for skiing was to ski. His kids did pretty well at it so there might be something to it.
It's great if you can afford to do that. Being tied to a desk all week waiting for snow to fill in so I can get bills paid plus a family wanting to see me every night is a deterrent. SO... I've been lifting to prep for ski season for well over a decade now, and it's effective. As soon as I can find snow I'm ready to rock n roll. The upside is that once the snow fills in down low I usually have 2-3 months of skiing on my lunch hour. up.gif This will sound dumb, but I also do a lot of step benching in the living room w the fam watching Netflix at night especially starting in the fall, short side towards me and almost entirely lateral moves. I've found it extremely helpful in getting knees and all those little pesky muscles in my ankles and feet ready to roll.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 6:31 pm 
Thanks everybody. smile.gif Digital Janitor, you're evil.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 9:20 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Digital Janitor, you're evil.
You're welcome! devilsmile.gif I have a goal of 400 hours of exercise this year. I'm at 280 today, so I think I'm on track.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 9:43 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
How much skiing did you do in July and August?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 11:42 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
How much skiing did you do in July and August?
The Palmer snowfield on Mt Hood there are lift served ski racing camps over the summer.
Quote:
11,235 foot Mt. Hood is the only 12 month ski area in North America.
http://www.mthood.com/race_camps.htm

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Aug 22, 2019 6:04 am 
If you work at a ski area and can ski every day, and are young, it doesn't take long. I remember him telling me that when I foolishly followed a friend, who was trying for a ski patrol position, and Spike (Dave). I hadn't skied for a couple of years and was taking a lot of tumbles I was wanting a lifty job, and got that. He was a character and a good guy.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Celticclimber

Celticclimber
PostThu Aug 22, 2019 6:18 am 
My hero was a guy who skied (back in the ol' Pack n Paddle mag. days ((anyone remember it?)) 101 consecutive months: Then he had to get his knees replaced frown.gif

Live every day like you will die to-marrow. For some day that will be true.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Aug 22, 2019 6:30 am 
Celticclimber wrote:
My hero was a guy who skied (back in the ol' Pack n Paddle mag. days ((anyone remember it?)) 101 consecutive months: Then he had to get his knees replaced frown.gif
Check these folks out: http://www.turns-all-year.com/indexyrs.html Some folks have over 200 consecutive months of year round skiing. Tom Szwedko's streak is 394 months, almost 33 years !