seattlenativemike
PostSat Jun 29, 2019 9:20 am 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jun 29, 2019 11:59 am 
It's always been an education issue. Enforcement is not the solution, in spite of a great number of comments below the Seattle Times article. Attempting to solve the problem with enforcement only opens up a whole new can of worms, and in the end simply isn't economically practical or effective. In their infinite wisdom, the US Congress pulled the plug on the funding appropriations for the "Don't be a litterbug" PSA announcements that we were continually bombarded with in the early 1960s on television. One Seattle Times commenter notes that the "Do Not Litter" signs which used to be posted all along Washington's highways were removed at some point. "Woodsy the Owl" and his "Give a hoot" message seem to have fallen on deaf ears, for whatever reason. This issue has been discussed ad nauseam on this website over the course of years. The problem is not solely attributable to social media. I recall mailing dozens and dozens of color photo prints to then US Senator Slade Gorton in the late 1980s and early 1990s - photos of broken bicycles and automobile fenders and other trash dumped in the waters of Skate Creek. That was long before there was any "social media" or "online". The problem is that there are a whole lot of people out there who simply do not have a clue.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
veronika

veronika
PostSat Jun 29, 2019 10:00 pm 
I remember Woodsy but in California when I was growing up. Along with Smokey the Bear. I read somewhere that some kid claimed he created Woodsy as a child in a coloring contest of some sort way back when. Not sure what ever became of that.

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
veronika

veronika
PostSat Jun 29, 2019 10:07 pm 
CRAZINESS

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Jun 30, 2019 7:07 am 
fun with math: 56.3 thousand "Instagram followers" / 327.2 million people in the US = .0172 % of the population Not that the effort may be in vain, but it's hardly reaching a broad enough audience. 1960's network television PSA broadcasts were seen on every television set in America. Until an effort is made on a larger scale, which reaches across a broader spectrum of the population, this problem will continue to exist.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Gil

Gil
PostSun Jun 30, 2019 1:10 pm 
publiclandshateyou is having an impact, especially in calling out bad behavior of would-be influencers. Outdoor and other companies are noticing and pulling tjeir sponsorships. Yesterday, someone had left a full garbage bag a mile along a lightly used trail in the Wild Sky Wilderness. I mean, REALLY?

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jun 30, 2019 2:32 pm 
Out here they are pretty much all at the same places, Lake 22, Ice Caves, Monte Cristo, Pilchuck and Dickerman. I try to limit my hikes to weekdays to avoid the thundering horde.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Jun 30, 2019 5:26 pm 
Here's a related article from a while back in Crosscut. Our favorite mountains are under siege. Blame your selfie.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostSun Jun 30, 2019 6:09 pm 
I complained to my county executive about the fact that I was picking up loads of garbage and taking it to the transfer station at my expense. The reply I got from the King County exec was that the funding set aside for litter patrol and enforcement was used elsewhere in the budget. confused.gif

kvpair

kvpair
PostSun Jun 30, 2019 7:25 pm 
OTOH most of the Pasayten and Boundary Trail has remained selfie free. Hopefully too far for the bewhiskered, flannel clad or micro-dog toting hordes.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Jul 01, 2019 5:50 am 
kvpair wrote:
OTOH most of the Pasayten and Boundary Trail has remained selfie free. Hopefully too far for the bewhiskered, flannel clad or micro-dog toting hordes.
Yea it appears from what I have witness these types of people are more into the leisure strolls like Hebrook, Beckler Peak, and Serene, where they can take a selfie and claim look where I went.

Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostMon Jul 01, 2019 6:55 am 
I believe that most of the "hikers" doing the damage are people who hike MAYBE once or twice per year. The attitude being, "Well I don't come up here that much and I'm just one person." Imagine if everyone in Washington state hiked just once per year (approx 7.5 million people as of 2018) and pooped in the forest, or dropped a poopy bag or littered other trash. eeewwwww eek.gif

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Jul 01, 2019 9:16 am 
Hesman wrote:
Quote Options Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:48 pm Hesman wrote:
Ski wrote:
"Woodsy the Owl" and his "Give a hoot" message seem to have fallen on deaf ears, for whatever reason
I guess I am getting old if I remember Woodsy The Owl.
Anyone remember Iron Eyes Cody from back in the 70s?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Jul 01, 2019 10:14 am 
There is the Mr.-Nice-Guy approach, and the Spoil-Their-Day approach. I am out of patience with the sh!tty people. If ever you hear people so barbarous as to play electronic music in the wilderness, I recommend screaming vituperous obscenity at them. If you catch them doing graffiti, just kill them. Our last night on the PCT last fall, we heard somebody walking past in the dark blaring music, about 10 PM. I couldn't even feed him to my dog, because Al had already eaten two miscreants that day, and even a corgi can eat only so much.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jul 01, 2019 11:37 am 
Ski wrote:
It's always been an education issue.
I disagree in part. Sometimes people are jerks, wanting to stick it to the land manager. I’ve seen it, talked to it, cleaned up after it. =========== And in general, I think that many partner organizations were a little late in understanding how social media would impact their initial well-intended messaging – get outdoors, get outdoors, hike, paddle, climb, run, bike, etc. have fun have fun have fun – as a way to gain donors and advocates – but the messaging ended there. It was successful - great, everyone was outdoors. Ooops - - - LNT was left out. For instance, the PCTA’s heavy messaging on the book, “Wild.” The PCTA had to do a lot of post-Wild messaging when Trail Angels went broke, the trail was trashed, and their annual send-off party to thru-hikers put too many boots on the trail at the same time. Since then, they've done a great job of messaging. Some of these organizations have just recently begun to include LNT messaging, workshops, and events. Too, - are organizations cool anymore? I see a lot of activity on Washington Hikers & Climbers from people who don't know the existence of WTA, The Mountaineers, etc. With no messaging from ad hoc Facebook groups and events, Meetup, other clubs - there's a lot of people who aren't getting it. And one other thing – totally not scientific – someone from Europe told me once that in other countries, littering is just what they do; because an employee of some sort is always there to clean up after them. So when they come here – it’s what they do. Has anyone heard that before? Or was this person full of baloney?

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert