Forum Index > Trail Talk > Your kit for grafitti removal in the backcounrty?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostSat Aug 24, 2019 12:16 pm 
It was a matter of time.....
City tags like endless corporate logos... Most tags I've encountered on trails I've scratched off with my fingernail or a rock. But I have found some paint on concrete and rock that I need something tougher.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Aug 24, 2019 12:26 pm 
I was looking thru some old posts not long ago re problems with trail graffiti and found Wolffie's great recommendation of a product called Elephant Snot. I haven't bought any yet but plan to, and have small quantities along on hikes.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Canyon1

Canyon1
PostSat Aug 24, 2019 5:57 pm 
I go after picking up the micro trash. I am glad to say I am not seeing much of it on heavy use trail systems. For example like Spider Meadows/Phelps Creek TH. Yahoo! Not to long ago I read a post were someone posted a dog memorial on federal land which is considered resource damage by the FS. I can see it now the public sees this as a green light and now pet cemeteries start popping up everywhere in the forests and wilderness.

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSat Aug 24, 2019 10:43 pm 
The whole fad of leaving painted rocks behind frosts my shorts

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Aug 24, 2019 10:53 pm 
Quote:
The whole fad of leaving painted rocks behind frosts my shorts
The painted rock found on an unnamed trail Thursday August 22, 2019 will not be posted on Facebook. It will go straight into the trash. It will not pass "GO", it will not collect $200.00. Thank you.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 10:20 am 
I found a BIRDHOUSE between White and Chinook, screwed to a tree right beside the trail. Had to come back later with a square head screwdriver to take it down - wtf is wrong with people??

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 10:56 am 
kbatku wrote:
I found a BIRDHOUSE between White and Chinook, screwed to a tree right beside the trail. Had to come back later with a square head screwdriver to take it down - wtf is wrong with people??
Sure that was what it was? There are some old bird house like structures out there that were used for phones or notepads for stuff or??? on trees in the middle of the wilderness. Or, maybe the wildlife folks didn't want to take a chance on getting lost so located the bird house/box along the trail? Just saying.... smile.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 11:01 am 
eh.... it was probably somebody from Canada wanting to drive you crazy with Robertson screws. it's a conspiracy, I'm tellin' ya! rant.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Brucester

Brucester
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 11:38 am 
Granite Lakes trail after Revolution climb, at cut-off to concrete bridge, I looked at a trail sign and was curious about this trail sign. Looked behind it, yup as I suspected, a sticker or a tag on the back side.... Some remove flagging tape. I used to think that was excessive. Nature is art in it's truest form. Do we have to ruin every single thing on this planet?

wolffie

wolffie
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 10:37 am 
In my city dogwalking fannypack: razor blade holder and steel wool for the stickers In the grafitti backpack: Motzenbocker's Lift-Off #3(markers) and #4(for paint) sometimes lacquer thinner (the new kind without toluene, doesn't work as well but toluene is neurotoxic) heavy wire brush green kitchen scrubber steel wool heavy nitrile gloves paper towels and rags plastic and metal putty knives my trusty Eternal Celibacy voodoo curse kit Swiss Army knife with virtual 30mm Vulcan cannon attachment ---------------------- editorial comment: I was once removing a tag in my neighborhood when I realized it was on the pedestal of a giant billboard. Who are the real graffiti vandals in our society? As usual, the scandal is not the illegal behavior. The pimply-faced little BLEEPheads can almost be forgiven for simply emulating the ethics of their society. Are we showing any more respect for our world than they are (I noticed that the bare glacier bed and glacial lake are all shown as solid glacier ice on my 1969 Green Trails map)? If you really want to leave a scar that will persist for 100 years, camp in a pristine spot, move some rocks to anchor your tent, build a windscreen and some rock or wood camp furniture, make a fire ring, leave some firewood stacked beside it. All of these will stand out like a sore thumb to the observant eye for decades. I had the satisfaction of obliterating some of these vandalisms on the otherwise pristine aeolian-sculpted landscape of a 7000' summit last week, including a recent-looking fire ring (at 7000'?). The rocks moved by humans are obvious.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.

Anne Elk
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 11:35 am 
Wolffie, how can Al get any decent exercise in the city if you go out with your kits in town? clown.gif The city is just too full of it. In re billboards - the ones that really frost me are the highway ones (and they're usually on I-5 or Aurora) that are like LED quasi-videos. Gack.

wolffie

wolffie
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 4:39 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Wolffie, how can Al get any decent exercise in the city if you go out with your kits in town?
All the BLEEPheads in my neighborhood are too terrierfied of Al to even think about it. Re. LED TV billboards, you know that even as we speak, some evil genius is devising something even worser. Perhaps Backpacker Joe is the person to consult about a backcountry grafitti-control kit. Why should I be satisfied with a virtual 30mm Vulcan?

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 12:19 am 
Wolffie wrote:
you know that even as we speak, some evil genius is devising something even worser.
Indeed. Astronomers are worried. And his name is Jeff. Not exactly graffiti, but definitely defacement. huh.gif

wolffie

wolffie
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 1:55 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Astronomers are worried. And his name is Jeff. Not exactly graffiti, but definitely defacement.
Satellites, light pollution, and radio pollution have been a huge problem for astronomers for decades. We've ruined everything else, and we have a good start on the sky. Ever seen an Iridium flare? Tip of the iceberg. Next: orbiting LED TV billboards. Soon to come: ads beamed directly into our minds, without TVs or radios, which can be turned off, except in North Korea and 1984 (this idea made a cameo appearence in 1960s sci-fi). This is precisely graffiti vandalism: one guy with way too much power doing whatever he wants because he can, and has no self-control over his own juvenile impulses -- tooting his own horn, public-be-damned. What's the difference between a personality that sprays its stupid tag on a rock, or owns billboards, or shoots its car into space? Scale. Our inability to restrain our use of power, individually and collectively, is surely a major prompt to our invention of The Devil. BTW, I just met the Devil, on the Devil's Dome Loop. Nice fellow actually -- good taste in real estate; he has a dome, a ridge, a creek, a trail, a junction, a park -- gets a bad rap because the real devils are all well-disguised as prominent benevolent figures, powerful strangers with candy.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 2:50 pm 
I could get on board with satellites as a cheaper (?) way to bring phone and internet service into rural areas, but is it just a form of "new" colonialism? The internet showcases the worst as well as best of western culture; not to mention enticing people to buy a lot of junk they don't need. The numbers involved seem like overkill. Talk about planetary domination. frown.gif This is a long way from graffiti talk. Maybe someone will start another thread someday of graffiti-busting pics. Hope you & Al have a pleasant holiday.