Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hollin Canyon (AZ), 05.17.19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSat Aug 24, 2019 3:05 pm 
This was hike #3 out of 3 for my Tucson trip in May. The trailhead is off of the Catalina/Mt. Lemmon Hwy. & unmarked & therefore sees fewer people, making this a nice little hike to a waterfall w/solitude. This was one of my family's go-to spots for years, so I figured it was worth paying another visit. cool.gif From near the TH:
There is no official trail, you just work your way up the canyon. @ that time of year there were still little pools to work around. up.gif
After just over a 1/2 mi., I reached the waterfall...which was just a trickle but better than nothin'! winksmile.gif up.gif
I enjoyed the peace & quiet, & thought back to the various times I was here as a kid w/my mom & siblings & friends. Even though I've done many solo hikes over the yrs., this was the 1st time I was HERE alone. It felt kind of strange. frown.gif
After a brief break I headed back down, as I had other things to do in town that day. @ one point I took a step up on a rock & to steady myself was about to reach out & grab another rock, when I found a grey lump that was not part of the rock. wub.gif
I finished somewhat early in the day, so I skipped the obligatory margarita, sorry. wink.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bob2005

Bob2005
PostSat Aug 24, 2019 8:46 pm 
The Catalinas are so enchanting. I love the frog photos! From the north part of Tucson, I've looked up and thought how cool it would be to get to base of Finger Rock. And at the SW corner of the Catalinas is a cool ridge that looks doable (in terms of slope), but I don't know if there is a trail there. I just discovered this website: https://www.summitpost.org/santa-catalina-summits/195138 Cheers

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Aug 24, 2019 8:57 pm 
Bloated Chipmunk wrote:
@ one point I took a step up on a rock & to steady myself was about to reach out & grab another rock, when I found a grey lump that was not part of the rock.
I thought you were going to say that you almost grabbed a rattlesnake. I generally find them in places like this. Do you run into them often? Is this something that's on your mind when making your way through these water-filled canyons? Great trip report. It's really wonderful that you have these memory-filled places to associate with your own personal history. And these are wild, untrammeled places. Very nice. ~z