Forum Index > Trail Talk > One lane forest service roads
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 4:51 pm 
I’m curious if there are others out here who find some forest service roads a bit intimidating? I just got back from the Darrington area having two failed attempts to get to two different THs on account of the roads being too narrow and “exposed” for my taste. I wondered as we drove higher and higher what we could do if another vehicle came the other direction. Driving forward was tense enough but I can’t image reversing down a steep narrow road on a steep slope. I was the passenger and saw the wheels go over a section that had collapsed and I was looking straight down a couple of hundred feet. I am definitely a weenie and was wondering if there are others out there that have ever balked on a forest service road. I am very disappointed we didn’t make the TH, especially the grade creek TH. The tenas creek road is the one with a collapsed piece. Would the thickness of the forest prevent a fatality if one were to off the edge?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kiliki

kiliki
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 5:00 pm 
I know people that have had full on panic attacks on some FS roads, and others that do research in advance to avoid driving on roads with exposed places, so you're definitely not alone. You always do have to hope that everyone is going slow enough and being respectful so that you can maneuver out of any tricky situation safely. One of the scariest moments of my life was years ago, driving to the French Cabin Creek trailhead and having a logging truck come screaming around the corner at me going... well I don't know how fast, but very fast. He managed to stop in time and then I inched around him in my old little pickup to safety. I sat at the trailhead just shaking for ages before getting out of the car. You had an experience trying to drive a collapsed road where some of your wheels were hanging off?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 5:24 pm 
Some roads are better than others. Some roads are just damn scary. Crowell Ridge Road. The road up to Mud Lake (Hamilton Butte trailhead.) They're all over. Slow down. Be ready to shift into reverse and back down the hill to safety when a big truck comes roaring down the hill in your direction. Going too fast + being stupid = off the road into the ditch a long ways from a tow truck.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 6:29 pm 
KIliki, thanks for sharing that. I felt like a real wuss but the moment when I looked at the missing vegetation as we were driving and realized that teeny bit of road that we had just driven over had collapsed, I did not want to go further. I definitely do not drive fast but honestly would be terrified to have to back down some of the stuff we went up today. Super bummed that we didn’t make either TH.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 6:39 pm 
Often it's the last couple miles to the trailhead where it gets progressively sketchier. Often it is possible to find a place to park and walk up the last couple miles of road. Practicing backing down a gravel road in a section where edging off the road wouldn't be lift threatening could boost your confidence. You mentioned that you were a passenger and not the driver? I've noticed that many people are more on edge when they aren't the one white knuckling the wheel. Gripping the wheel gives one a greater sense of control -- much as people have a fear of flying, even though statically flying is safer in terms of fatalities per mile travelled.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 6:54 pm 
Many times I think "I sure hope I don't meet a car going the other way here." Can't think of many times I had a problem. I did meet another car when I was going up toward Hidden Lake Peak TH in a narrow section. Scooted over as far as I could get, tires were a bit off the road bed at that point. Tight squeeze. I was worried I might be stuck but was able to get back on the road when I put it in reverse. To clarify this wasn't along a cliff, just a ditch. I try to approach every blind corner as if there will be another car there. Slow down and don't take your half out of the middle of the road is a good starting point. If someone else is driving recklessly, not much you can do about that. I think the road is wide enough for two cars, but going up to Harts Pass is probably the freakiest road I've driven on.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 6:57 pm 
Me (driving) to passenger: You're in charge of making sure we don't meet anyone coming down. Passenger: How do I do that? Me: Sure hope you figure it out quick.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 7:02 pm 
Roly Poly wrote:
I can’t image reversing down a steep narrow road on a steep slope.
Downhill driver is supposed to yield to the uphill driver, so you only ever have to reverse up those steep narrow spots. smile.gif

Waterman

Waterman
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 7:11 pm 
Logging trucks were part of driving on forest service roads in the 70s,they were usually driving too fast and i went for the ditch more than once. One guy folded his pick up radiator around our diamond plate bumper on Coulter creek one year. Driving too fast and snow covered road = bad outcome. Just drive slow take it easy watch out for morons.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 7:34 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I did meet another car when I was going up toward Hidden Lake Peak TH in a narrow section.
This road is definitely narrow and one-lane in spots and there are some exposed sections. I was just up there a couple of weeks ago. Be careful on this one. ~z

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 7:43 pm 
I've become wussified over the years. Being a passenger is a lot scarier than being the one behind the wheel; so your fear was heightened, no doubt. The edge of most unpaved forest logging roads is comprised of side-cast material - it's not likely stable to the edge, and when I'm passenger, I do freak when the driver gets within 2 feet of the edge (well sometimes even more than 2 feet). I will never again drive to North Lake, Salmo Lookout, Crowell Ridge (as Ski points out), or to the Tronsen Ridge trailhead, among others. So you are not a freak; it is scary. No advice.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 7:51 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
I will never again drive to North Lake
That road used to scare me, but the more I drive it, the less scared I have become. My biggest fear there is a sudden rock slide on the steep sections. It definitely is a scary road IF you look down, don't look down. A guy in a pickup truck went off there and perished a few years back, so care is definitely needed.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 8:10 pm 
Chief Joseph, I’m pretty sure you have been up the grade creek road? Can you remember that one? I saw a TR from Kitya and she mentioned the tenas creek road was narrow and brushy. I honestly don’t see how a big truck could get up that one? Especially since the edge is collapsed in that one small spot.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 8:22 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
I will never again drive to North Lake
That road used to scare me, but the more I drive it, the less scared I have become. My biggest fear there is a sudden rock slide on the steep sections. It definitely is a scary road IF you look down, don't look down. A guy in a pickup truck went off there and perished a few years back, so care is definitely needed.
You crack me up. embarassedlaugh.gif Sudden rock slide, a perished pickup.... this doesn't instill any confidence. tongue.gif I met an oncoming vehicle in the worst possible place on that road a couple years ago. Then on the way out- it happened again. (different oncoming vehicle; same location).

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 8:35 pm 
Roly Poly wrote:
Chief Joseph, I’m pretty sure you have been up the grade creek road? Can you remember that one? I saw a TR from Kitya and she mentioned the tenas creek road was narrow and brushy. I honestly don’t see how a big truck could get up that one? Especially since the edge is collapsed in that one small spot.
I haven't been up the grade creek road, but a few years ago I do go up the Tenas creek road before it was closed and now re-opened, I don't recall that collapsed spot. I am actually planning to go there aging next month, but now I am a bit scared, lol. Kim, meeting vehicles on roads such as North lake is one reason I avoid them on weekends, which is easy since I retired. Obviously it's getting worse with all the increased traffic out in the woods.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.