Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 12:15 pm 
Roly Poly wrote:
I’m curious if there are others out here who find some forest service roads a bit intimidating? I just got back from the Darrington area having two failed attempts to get to two different THs on account of the roads being too narrow and “exposed” for my taste. I wondered as we drove higher and higher what we could do if another vehicle came the other direction. Driving forward was tense enough but I can’t image reversing down a steep narrow road on a steep slope. I was the passenger and saw the wheels go over a section that had collapsed and I was looking straight down a couple of hundred feet. I am definitely a weenie and was wondering if there are others out there that have ever balked on a forest service road. I am very disappointed we didn’t make the TH, especially the grade creek TH. The tenas creek road is the one with a collapsed piece. Would the thickness of the forest prevent a fatality if one were to off the edge?
How about we get back on topic (see above)? Bicycle etiquette, unions, etc. isn't on topic not to mention politics is off limits which the usual suspects should know by now.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 12:39 pm 
R.Poly, I know what you mean. I was up at boulder lake a few weeks back and prayed that I would not encounter another car! My son and I were joking on the way down about not ever bringing a nice car up this road because of the constant scratching bushes.. I was worried about high centering in a few places...I must've missed the eroding spot.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 5:31 pm 
Speaking of badly maintained Forest Service roads, we can add FR 42 (Heather Lake/Mt. Pilchuck road) to the list. I was up at Mt. Pilchuck yesterday. I hadn't been there in years, but the potholes are large, numerous and jammed close together--particularly down low near the lake trail head. I was glad to be in a higher clearance truck. I am surprised that such a popular destination is in such a poor state. ~z

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 6:01 pm 
zephyr wrote:
I am surprised that such a popular destination is in such a poor state.
It's been bad for a couple years. I used to be surprised that some of the most popular trails in various areas had badly deteriorated road quality. Doesn't really surprise me anymore. New normal. No money for anything.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 6:14 pm 
A project that was done by Job Corps. Unfortunately, I think this center is one that will be shut down. If only they could practice on roads? Putting Youth to Work Naches area--In the past, forest visitors driving down Road No. 1902 on the Naches Ranger District would end up at the small Raven Roost Trailhead, so small that turn around space was very limited. This little trailhead, located 38 miles west of Naches, is a jump off point for people and stock users heading to the Norse Peak Wilderness. Access to this cramped site was greatly improved recently due to the efforts of Job Corps students and local volunteers. In July, Fort Simcoe Job Corps heavy equipment program students had a hands-on opportunity to practice their heavy equipment skills at this site. They improved the access road, expanded the size of the trailhead, leveled the ground, placed rock barriers to protect adjacent whitebark pine, and finished off by distributing gravel over the newly improved trailhead. All of this work provided them experience working with heavy equipment in the woods, something they don’t often get. “In addition to the on-the-ground experience with the heavy equipment, they learned how to work in an ever changing environment,” said Naches District Recreation Planner Sue Ranger. “There were days when it snowed, it rained, the bugs were out biting everyone; these are real life things they were able to experience on the job.” The work accomplished at this trailhead was the result of a large collaborative group effort and part of the Little Crow Restoration Project. A State Recreation Conservation Office grant paid for the gravel and the fuel for Job Corps crews to travel to the site, along with some administration time, and Job Corps donated their student’s time and equipment to the project effort. Also, the local Backcountry Horsemen chapter showed their appreciation by providing a picnic lunch for the hungry students. "The students did a fantastic job improving this access point to the wilderness,” Ranger said. “They enhanced their equipment skills, learned more about working in the forest and working with partners, and recognized that their conservation efforts have improved public access that will help connect more people to nature now and into the future.”

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 6:33 pm 
TW....I think the Job Corps situation isnt changing as tRump planned. Due to overwhelming public comment - this is a couple months old: https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/19/perdue-reverses-jobs-corps-closures-congress-backlash-3458109

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 7:18 pm 
Anyone been to Yankee Boy Basin in the San Juans of Colorado? Fun every time.

CarriesNineFires

CarriesNineFires
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 8:22 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
Learn to REALLY drive your vehicle. Yeah, I know how that sounds, but bear with me. If someone sets a soda can in the road can you flatten it with whichever of your front tires you want to as you drive along? Can you "thread the needle" - put your car through a gap with only a few inches to spare on each side? Can you change lanes on the freeway at speed without touching a lane stripe? Have you ever experienced your car in a slide or panic braking situation? Do you know how to control it? Do you know how your vehicle will react when pushed to its limits? If you can't, then you don't really know where the corners of your vehicle are, where the tires are at on the road surface, or how to react appropriately when things (literally) go sideways. This uncertainty leads to fear. You may think you are closer to the side of the road than you actually are, or you don't have a good way to judge just how close to the edge of the road your tires actually are and this makes you nervous. Take some performance driving classes. Attend some autocrosses. Drive up to the pass in the winter at night and do some donuts in the empty parking lot. Learn your vehicle's limits and how to accurately judge where in space it is and you should lose your fears. You'll KNOW if the road is actually too narrow and in the event you need to, you'll know how to back your car down it.
This is probably getting to the heart of the matter more than any other response. It's crazy to me that one may legally operate a motor vehicle on a public road without really demonstrating a certain level of skill. Cars are dangerous and a simple course would give drivers the know-how and the confidence to negotiate the road. I'm always seeing people stop in crosswalks, as though they either don't know what a crosswalk is or they don't know where the front of their car is. Since the bumper is usually pristine, I have to assume that they park in garages, lots, etc. with no problem but don't get the whole crosswalk thing. To really know your vehicle is not just to be a safer driver, but it's also a point of pride.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 9:27 pm 
Quote:
Can you change lanes on the freeway at speed without touching a lane stripe?
Can someone explain in what situations this would be important?

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 9:45 pm 
Tom wrote:
Quote:
Excellent point. Paying attention and not following too close are much more important.

When I grow up I wanna play.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 10:03 pm 
texasbb wrote:
Anyone been to Yankee Boy Basin in the San Juans of Colorado? Fun every time.
In a car that really had no business being there. Enjoyed a wonderful camp for a few nights. Wish I'd had a gravel bike.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 10:10 pm 
Brushwork wrote:
Tom wrote:
Quote:
Excellent point. Paying attention and not following too close are much more important.
Its about controlling your vehicle and knowing where your tires are. Sorta like learning to back a truck/trailer in a figure 8. When will you ever have to do that?!? Never, but it will make you real good at backing up. Paying attention and following distance arent so much teachable as they are about attitude.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 11:05 pm 
So it's about being able to swerve without losing control?

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 11:17 pm 
Tom wrote:
So it's about being able to swerve without losing control?
Apparently, but what if you crash while practicing? wheelchair.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 11:41 pm 
CarriesNineFires wrote:
It's crazy to me that one may legally operate a motor vehicle on a public road without really demonstrating a certain level of skill.
A guy drove through the windows and into the pool at the shoreline la fitness gym couple weeks back. No repurcussions!!! Guy didn't even get a fine!!! An outrage!! These days we're just lettin' it ALL slide, cause whatever. Just givin' up! SOFT!!! look, whether you're comin' at the issue as jeff gordon, a trucker 4 beers into a six pack n' gunnin' for time, or a spandex suited, quinoa chuggin' bicyclist, one thing holds true - a good driver doesn't hit anyone or have incidents. Figure it out.