Forum Index > Trail Talk > Missing Dog
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSun Sep 22, 2019 10:33 am 
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/she-quit-her-job-he-got-night-goggles-they-searched-57-days-for-their-dog/ar-AAHDJPP?ocid=spartandhp

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostSun Sep 22, 2019 11:32 am 
I trained my dog with an emergency recall. I used a whistle. I failed to remember that in our PNW mountains there are animals that whistle frequently - thus my dog would run to marmots as if her life depended on it. I suggest using something not found in nature!

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostMon Sep 23, 2019 5:50 pm 
Emergency recall ideas: A long time ago (four dogs ago), I was reading a book on dog training which suggested calling the dog with a hunting horn, when a program came on the radio discussing the High Holy Days, preceded by the sound of the shofar (ram's horn). All I could think was, what a way to annoy my neighbors! My 14-year-old grandson got to play hunting horn calls in a French horn ensemble in music camp last summer, but I suspect that instrument is far too bulky to take hiking! Seriously, Paulabeth, I hope Wilson gets found!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Mtngirl717
wanderwoman

Mtngirl717
wanderwoman
PostWed Sep 25, 2019 8:07 am 
This breaks my heart! I really hope you find your fur baby, if you haven't already tried it, you might post a pic on some of the hiking social media pages, such as WH&C.

What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver