Forum Index > Trail Talk > Has anyone hiked PCT to Alaska Lake?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostTue Aug 27, 2019 9:24 am 
We lost the trail on top of the ridge and ended up going down the large boulder field to the cliffs above the lake. It took a long time to find a way down safely. Has anyone hiked PCT to Alaska lake? We cannot figure out where the trail went. I am very curious where we missed it...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Aug 27, 2019 11:00 am 
I don't believe there is a trail. Looking at the topo the most feasible route appears to be counter clockwise down the ridge from the PCT in the vicinity of ridge lake.

DadFly

DadFly
PostTue Aug 27, 2019 1:00 pm 
I have come down from the north after climbing out of Joe lake. Don't go that way unless you like steep country. There was a trail out of the lake up the ridge to the south.

"May you live in interesting times"
Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostTue Aug 27, 2019 1:43 pm 
Alaska lake
Alaska lake
In your map photo, we turned at 47.4548, -121.3643 and headed ENE. Alaska lake as at the very top of my pic

MattP.

MattP.
PostTue Aug 27, 2019 2:09 pm 
Here is our Strava from when we went from Alaska Lake up to the PCT. https://www.strava.com/activities/1719095823 We basically took the route as described by Tom. If I recall, there was a very faint boot path down towards the lake but it eventually fades. Pretty straight forward getting up to the PCT.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Aug 27, 2019 2:11 pm 
I went down the obvious ridge S and E from Ridge Lake, it wasn't bad going but downhill in moderate brush is something I'm used to. Returned via the second rocky gully while following the north shore of the lake, straight up to the PCT. I like scrambles, it wasn't bad.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 11:59 pm 
Does the trail up to Joe Lake from Gold Creek actually exist? Errr, perhaps I should rephrase that: Is it maintained or has it fallen into disuse and is reverting back to a more natural state.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 3:50 am 
Bedivere wrote:
Does the trail up to Joe Lake from Gold Creek actually exist? Errr, perhaps I should rephrase that: Is it maintained or has it fallen into disuse and is reverting back to a more natural state.
I doubt it gets a lick of maintenance from the USFS and it was never a "constructed" trail in the first place, just a boot track that goes steeply straight up. The trail along Gold Creek was a brushy mess in the '70s when the USFS had more dough for trail maintenance. The USFS info page about the trail indicates the maintenance ends 5 miles from the trailhead, before the climb to Joe Lake. https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mbs/recarea/?recid=17984