Forum Index > Trail Talk > Post hike recovery
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
neek

neek
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 12:53 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
My guess is that a significant percentage of people experiencing discomfort following a demanding hike, a big chunk of the discomfort is due to simple dehydration
I try to weigh myself before and after to see how much water I've lost. Sometimes it's several pounds. When it comes to soreness, however, prevention is the most effective technique--get your body accustomed to regular hiking. Obviously not helpful after the fact, but to avoid getting discouraged it's good to remember that if you keep it up it won't be so intense in the future.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
robertjoy

robertjoy
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 2:34 pm 
I take Ibuprofen to eliminate the natural inflammation of muscle tissue during the activity. I recently discovered that for me, age 69, Ibuprofen (2 tabs) taken during (every 4 hours) during the hike or climb, along with some caffeine, eliminates 98% of the pain and stiffness that usually occurs after the long drive back to Portland from the North Cascades. The next morning I take 2 more tabs, and that usually keeps me feeling great!

Mosquitoes refuse to bite me, purely out of respect.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 3:27 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
But why chocolate milk instead of regular, isn't that just added sugar?
Right, the sugar is part of what your body needs to recover. And simple sugars become available almost immediately after taking them in.

Snowdog

Snowdog
PostMon Sep 02, 2019 10:35 am 
Thanks Tom for the tip on magnesium lotion! I just ordered some. I've been using Arnica cream for a long time. It helps sore feet, and joints, etc. One thing I've learned over the years is the benefits of electrolytes. Every day of a long trip I drink an Emergen-C type drink. Hydrates better than water.

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Sep 02, 2019 1:58 pm 
I have been using both the magnesium cream and arnica on my shoulders and neck all summer during multi-day backpacking trips and it has really helped, especially while sleeping. Thanks to Tom for the suggestion in an earlier thread. up.gif I always bring a powdered effervescent magnesium supplement called Natural Calm and take it at night with calcium, even at home. It is quickly absorbed and works amazingly well for leg cramps. My friends ask me for it when their muscles start to cramp during a strenuous hike and it always helps. I also find that using electrolytes can make a big diffference in how you feel the next day, and my current new favorite is green superfood tablets that dissolve in water. Kind of an acquired taste though. What neek said about keeping your fitness level up by hiking is so true. I always tell my out of shape friends that the best way to get in shape for hiking is to go hiking year ‘round.

Brucester

Brucester
PostTue Sep 03, 2019 4:42 am 
Magnesium, potassium and MSM Joint Complex daily. I'll have to try chocolate milk. up.gif I could have used it Saturday after a first hike in a month 6 miles with 3,000ft gain. Rough week days ahead filling '5x'5x'4 boxes with floor tile by grain shovel 10 hours a day... Usually it's overall fatigue. I feel it after my drive home. At 51, I'd imagine this is to be expected?

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostTue Sep 03, 2019 8:38 am 
A few hours after a long run, I go for a easy walk around the neighborhood. Getting the sore muscles moving a little seems to help recovery considerably. Chocolate milk is also good. My son's XC team uses it. Plus it tastes really good.

veronika

veronika
PostTue Sep 03, 2019 10:15 am 
These are all great. I usually do nothing and suffer through it. dizzy.gif hihi.gif Looks like chocolate milk will be in my future. agree.gif

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
ejain

ejain
PostTue Sep 03, 2019 11:52 am 
For muscle soreness and stiffness, seems like anything that keeps the blood flowing helps. Light exercise is the simplest option, plus it's free :-) For general energy levels: There appears to be a 1-2h window right after (intense) exercise where your body soaks up carbs (rather than turning your blood into syrup). My favorite post-hike "recovery" drink: Espresso milkshakes! Things to avoid: driving home without breaks, alcohol (interferes with sleep), NSAIDs (may interfere with the healing process).