Forum Index > Trail Talk > Two Missing Hikers - Downey Creek
Previous :: Next Topic  
kiliki

kiliki

PostSat Aug 31, 2019 1:59 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
I suppose Giardia is like a lot of ailments in that severity of symptoms may vary. It's sure a good weight-loss plan although I was already a petite person. And I suppose it's relative. In recent years I've had major surgery, and also three eye surgeries after my retina detached. For Giardia I just took a pill! It took a while to fully recover, but give me that over a detached retina, or something where you have to wear a catheter, or where you can't tie your own shoes for a month, any day. Though I know some people have lasting issues after having Giardia and I don't mean to make light of that.

The real point as many others have said is that you shouldn't be afraid to drink the water if the chips are down.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
joker
seeker

joker

seeker
PostSat Aug 31, 2019 2:40 pm 
Yes. There's almost always  something worse than something else  wink.gif

And getting  bad dehydration while  lost is worse than having  a risk of contracting giardia.  No question. I once talked with  the  folks  who  run SAR out of  Gunnison,  CO,  who see a LOT  of fascinating  year  round action. Sounds like, in their opinion, hypothermia and  dehydration were root causes of an awful lot of SAR issues regardless of what finally happened to the victims.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku

Questionable hiker
PostSat Aug 31, 2019 3:04 pm 
Plus giardia takes a long time to kick in, it's not really a concern in an emergency life or death situation
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk

BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Aug 31, 2019 3:20 pm 
kbatku wrote:
...giardia takes a long time to kick in...

I dunno - YRMV, perhaps; my 2nd bout of it kicked in within 4 days of my drinking the tainted water.

--------------
"There are yahoos out there.  Itís why we canít have nice things."  - Tom Mahood
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph

PostSat Aug 31, 2019 4:30 pm 
"Had to eat ants to stave off starvation"...what a rookie, one is not going to die without food for 2-3 days.

My Giardia took nearly two weeks to kick in, then it was flu like symptoms, throwing up, runs, could not hardly eat for a week, lost 10 pounds, that was maybe 5 years ago, no lasting effects.

--------------
Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb

Misplaced Texan
PostSat Aug 31, 2019 6:55 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
kbatku wrote:
...giardia takes a long time to kick in...

I dunno - YRMV, perhaps; my 2nd bout of it kicked in within 4 days of my drinking the tainted water.

I'd consider four days a long time, plenty long to be dead if you didn't drink any water.  This is one of those easy risk assessments.
Snuffy

Snuffy

PostSun Sep 01, 2019 7:55 am 
Itís interesting these days having family members on SAR, getting to hear more than what gets reported out to the public. All I can say is that our local SAR are very professional people and I would have left those two right where I found them.

--------------
You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
Doppelganger
Gorecrow

Doppelganger

Gorecrow
PostTue Sep 03, 2019 2:17 pm 
The stories belong to Harry Majors, but if more such stories find their way here none of us will complain!
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Two Missing Hikers - Downey Creek
  Happy Birthday Matt!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: