Forum Index > Trail Talk > Electric bikes soon to be humming along national park trails
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 9:56 am 
North Cascades is obviously spectacular enough to be a national park.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 1:07 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
a traffic problem when the highway is open
Traffic problems are all a matter of perspective and expectations.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 1:30 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Have you been to Winthrop on a summer weekend? Guess Leavenworth is OK also. But, if everybody was riding a bicycle, problem solved.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Brian R

Brian R
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 1:43 pm 
I grew up spending summers with relatives in Winthrop. I don't even recognize the place now--and they left several years ago. Leavenworth and Winthrop are now Seattle suburbs.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 2:06 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
Have you been to Winthrop on a summer weekend? Guess Leavenworth is OK also. But, if everybody was riding a bicycle, problem solved.
Yup -- I kind of reminds me of your comments about how noisy it can be in rural areas, what with people using chainsaws and other power tools to maintain their property during the day. That make me laugh -- I compare it to the noise levels at my son's apartment in Harlem. Which sits above a bus stop with a bus every 10 minutes, across the street from a bar with live music events 2-3 nights a week, a block and a half from a fire station that gets several calls every night with full sirens, several police calls per night with full sirens, numerous ambulance runs with sirens and drunken arguments on the street at 2AM after the bar closes. My friends in Spokane comment (with a laugh) about how bad the traffic in Spokane has become -- coming home from work during rush hour there are now times where -- they almost don't get through one of the busier traffic lights downtown in a single cycle -- in a while they might have to wait through two cycles to get through that busy intersection. Yep on a weekend in Winthrop there might be times where a trip to Twisp that would take 15 minutes on a Wednesday could take an hour. The horror.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 2:22 pm 
Yes. The horror. The dismissal of valid rural concerns because someone says its worse elsewhere, what's the problem no big deal its tougher at location X, doesn't exactly seem like a path to mutual respect.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 2:42 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Yes. The horror. The dismissal of valid rural concerns because someone says its worse elsewhere, what's the problem no big deal its tougher at location X, doesn't exactly seem like a path to mutual respect.
I don't dismiss the adjustment that is required when growth happens. Understanding what is happening elsewhere can enable one to appreciate what one has. Choosing to be pissed off and grumpy is always an option -- your choice. I'll bet the folks running various businesses in the Methow and all the people working constructing the various cabins and mega mansions for MSFT, EX-MSFT, Amazon Bros, etc are doing better financially because of the "crowding" -- even while they might grumble about "Wetsiders"

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 2:42 pm 
Fascinating debate. What other tangents can we discuss in this thread?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 3:03 pm 
Should e-cyclists use e-helmets or are old fashioned ones good enough? https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a20012482/a-bike-helmet-with-turn-signals-meet-the-lumos-smart-bike-helmet/

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 5:48 pm 
Actually, according to the Dutch, no cyclist should be forced to wear a helmet. If you live in an area where.....drivers are used to and respect bikes, there is proper infrastructure for bikes, and in their words, few idiots on bikes, you shouldn't need a helmet. In fact, they are concerned that if people are forced to wear helmets, it takes away the ability to just go out and hop on the bike and take off. Thus, less bike riding and fatter people. I'll post the video here eventually.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 6:26 pm 
Now we're getting this thread back on track! How should we pay for all the ebike charging stations we need to build in the Pasayten, from Horseshoe Basin to Cathedral and Amphitheatre, on down to Chewuch and Andrews Creek?

Brian R

Brian R
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 6:46 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Actually, according to the Dutch, no cyclist should be forced to wear a helmet. If you live in an area where.....drivers are used to and respect bikes, there is proper infrastructure for bikes, and in their words, few idiots on bikes, you shouldn't need a helmet. In fact, they are concerned that if people are forced to wear helmets, it takes away the ability to just go out and hop on the bike and take off. Thus, less bike riding and fatter people. I'll post the video here eventually.
Helmets, good. Helmet laws, BAD.

Brian R

Brian R
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 6:49 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Goat, never underestimate the white cosmopolitan liberal's sense of supremacy.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 7:01 pm 
E-bikes vs. "acoustic" bikes. Where'd this term, acoustic, come from? Guitars? I was at the dental hygienist today and she was showing me how to use a "manual" toothbrush correctly, and how to use an electric toothbrush. I told her that bikes are now termed electric and acoustic. She laughed. In the UK I think they call 'em "pushbikes". So are e-bikes twist bikes? Anyway, there needs to be a better term than acoustic bikes. We only have two pedals, even an acoustic piano has three. Sheesh. And are acoustic gravel bikes different from acoustic endurance (old man) bikes? What about an aggressive acoustic criterium vs. acoustic aero vs. acoustic climbing bike, not to mention the 17000 kinds of mountain bikes. Acoustic one by bike vs. electric 27 speed? Whatever happened to the 10 speed? Thems were the days, I tell ya.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 7:10 pm 
On that note, acoustic Di2 and eTap bikes would be an oxymoron, right? 🙂