Forum Index > Trail Talk > Electric bikes soon to be humming along national park trails
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brian R

Brian R
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 7:18 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
Anyway, there needs to be a better term than acoustic bikes.
We could call ebikes "free agent" or "contractor" bikes. Human-powered could be called "legacy" bikes, or "pensioners." eek.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 8:54 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
On that note, acoustic Di2 and eTap bikes would be an oxymoron, right? 🙂
That'd be like putting a mic on yer acoustic geeeeee-tar. It's still acoustic, just amplified a bit without grossly affecting the sound, I mean riding experience.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 9:24 pm 
I am a member of the Washington Acoustical Music Association WAMA. So there! You too can join and they have slow jams once a month in Winlock, usually have a room at Wintergrass and put on the Winlock Pickerfest. It's a fun group. Here is the video about helmets and the or should it be der? Dutch.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
mb

mb
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 10:36 pm 
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 10:44 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
That'd be like putting a mic on yer acoustic geeeeee-tar. It's still acoustic, just amplified a bit without grossly affecting the sound, I mean riding experience.
Personally I think Di2 is way more awesome than a motor to pedal the bike for you. But I like the way you put it. I avoided ever even touching a bike with electronic shifting for years because everyone said you'll never want to go back. When it was time to get my current bike the shop gave it to me for the price of the same groupset in mechanical. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 12:00 am 
I was riding down a logging road with someone who didn't think to bring a helmet. They bought a helmet as soon as they got home. Then again, some people you can't fix stupid.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 12:13 am 
Why are they calling it acoustic! It should be analog bikes! Kinda like how they call a Marlboro an "analog" these days, since it is an alternative to a vape.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 7:18 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
Why are they calling it acoustic! It should be analog bikes! Kinda like how they call a Marlboro an "analog" these days, since it is an alternative to a vape.
Because I can. biggrin.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 7:57 am 
Acoustic v electric is a good analogy. Digital v analog makes no sense. One could also call an ebike an electrified or augmented bike. An ebike can be either analog or digital.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 9:07 am 
Tom wrote:
I was riding down a logging road with someone who didn't think to bring a helmet. They bought a helmet as soon as they got home. Then again, some people you can't fix stupid.
That was me! LOL. Heck, I didnt even think about it while buying this bike, which I love, to make a point. After Tom suggested it, AND after going down hill on the trip back I realized how exposed I was to the danger of going over the handle bars at speeds reaching 25 miles per hour. When I got home I used the link Tom gave me and I bought a high quality Bell helmet, elbow pads and gloves. This summer I had an 8 hour surgery. I know about being injured and Im going to do everything I can to avoid it.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 10:10 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
That was me! LOL. Heck, I didnt even think about it while buying this bike, which I love, to make a point. After Tom suggested it, AND after going down hill on the trip back I realized how exposed I was to the danger of going over the handle bars at speeds reaching 25 miles per hour. When I got home I used the link Tom gave me and I bought a high quality Bell helmet, elbow pads and gloves. This summer I had an 8 hour surgery. I know about being injured and Im going to do everything I can to avoid it.
Use mostly the rear brake because it won't throw you over the bars like the front one can. When you have to brake, or even just going down a steep hill at all, stand up a little bit on the pedals and stick your butt as far behind you as you can get it, to move your center of gravity back, again it helps protect you from going over the bars. Wear a helmet too.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 11:35 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Acoustic v electric is a good analogy.
Except that "acoustic" is a word that is concerned with the properties of sound. Any rational person would call an e-bike an e-bike, and a bike a "BIKE". Maybe a road bike or mountain bike if you want to get specific but generally speaking they've been around for long enough to not require a prefix, especially just to appease the egos of big gutted yuppies e-biking to the brewpubs in spandex. And if it has a motor, it's a motorbike. Quite simple.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 12:21 pm 
I like acoustic hubs. The ones that sound like angry bees when you coast. They remind you not to be lazy, and if there are people walking in the road you can stop pedaling for a second to announce your presence.

Brian R

Brian R
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 12:28 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
wink.gif wink.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 2:13 pm 
I can always use clothespins and playing cards to make my bike noisy. Works on all bikes.