Forum Index > Trail Talk > Electric bikes soon to be humming along national park trails
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Dec 07, 2019 12:56 am 
Riverside Laker wrote:
Tom wrote:
You can ride a motorcycle at 35 mph up hill. But they are not e-bikes which are limited to 750 watt. You are not going to be riding uphill at 35 mph on an e-bike. Laws of physics.
Yer right according to this calculator: http://bikecalculator.com/
Just one example of what is on the market now.
Quote:
Optional Ludicrous upgrade gives you 2500 watts
https://lunacycle.com/luna-5500-wolf-full-suspension-electric-bike-xl/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostSat Dec 07, 2019 1:14 am 
Tom wrote:
Rumi, legally you are required to have a sticker on your bike clearly indicating the class.
And you can put any sticker on anything saying whatever you want it to. A sticker does nothing and means nothing.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Dec 07, 2019 1:30 am 
RumiDude wrote:
Here are some facts
Light on facts, heavy on opinion.
RumiDude wrote:
As I mentioned earlier, it is likely that e-bikes are going to advance technologically sooner or later, probably sooner. The industry is really in it's infantcy. The gap between standard bikes and e-bikes is going to grow huge. These advances are likely going to overwhelm the current e-bike regulations making them obsolete. That is one reason I think is is prudent to move slowly in these matters.
OK, sorry but this is just a boogeyman post. First off the industry is not in it's infancy. What do you see advancing? Batteries? Great, e-bikes get cheaper and can go farther and with less weight. More powerful motors? It's not as if the model e-bike regulation didn't contemplate motors more powerful than 750W and rejected them. 45mph ebike? Yawn, nothing new, also contemplated by the model e-bike regulation.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Dec 07, 2019 1:32 am 
Jesus Christ people, I give up, yes there are bikes that exceed the legal limits. They have existed for many years. You act like this is some ground breaking advancement. They are not e-bikes under the law.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Dec 07, 2019 6:57 am 
Golly gee, everything on the internet is true!! That kind of explains why we are in the mess we are in. Have fun being ascared!

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Dec 07, 2019 7:19 am 
Using the questionable logic of many on this topic, I now feel all cars should be banned from all roads. A couple drove the Cannonball Run averaging 103mph which is unsafe. Therefore all cars should be banned. The item is in today's Spokesman Review.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostSat Dec 07, 2019 8:03 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Using the questionable logic of many on this topic, I now feel all cars should be banned from all roads. A couple drove the Cannonball Run averaging 103mph which is unsafe. Therefore all cars should be banned. The item is in today's Spokesman Review.
Umm. Highways have highway patrol providing enforcement along with sherriff's and city police on roads and streets. People are required to get a drivers license to drive a car and they have to purchase insurance. There are consequences for breaking the law with a car. Ebike assholes think they can go where ever they want and there is absolutely no enforcement. Hell, they hit a child on the trail they can just keep going and nobody can catch up. And they call the person who politely points out that they are on private land that doesnt allow ebike use and they call that person a dick. Come on.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Dec 07, 2019 8:23 am 
Pahoho’s posts don’t seem to belong here. Maybe scrawled on the wall of a dirty bathroom in a run down bar. But by his/her “logic”, running should be banned, as there is no enforcement and no one can catch those speedy demons. And they are capable of trespassing.

neek

neek
PostSat Dec 07, 2019 9:00 am 
Slugman wrote:
But by his/her “logic”, running should be banned
You joke, but it's coming!

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostSat Dec 07, 2019 9:13 am 
Slugman wrote:
Pahoho’s posts don’t seem to belong here. Maybe scrawled on the wall of a dirty bathroom in a run down bar. But by his/her “logic”, running should be banned, as there is no enforcement and no one can catch those speedy demons. And they are capable of trespassing.
Are you really that stupid? Running doesnt have a motor. Come on.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Dec 07, 2019 10:34 am 
And not all motors emit exhaust or noise hearable from more than a few feet.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Dec 07, 2019 10:35 am 
Running is sometimes banned. I know it used to be at Dungeness Spit, last time I was there they took down the signs.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Dec 07, 2019 10:46 am 
Perhaps speaking should also be banned if too many people are calling Pahohoe a dick? There's no end of things that might could be banned using his reasoning. But I need to go buy more apples today.

wanderwild

wanderwild
PostSat Dec 07, 2019 12:08 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
wanderwild wrote:
MultiUser wrote:
ebike users argue they have no more impact than a regular bike, and are probably correct.
No, they are not correct. Perhaps one e bike and one "acoustic" bike on the same path will make the same impact. But, and big but - e bikes make riding easier. Now you have a whole lot more people able to go further distances, go uphill, and generally impact wilderness far in from trailheads. That is why when it comes to impact, e bikes are not just "more similar" to motorized transportation, they are motorized transportation.
What you and others seem to ignore is that a battery only has so much power. The more uphill you go, means you use up the battery quicker. At $800 a pop, one doesn't want to have too many, if any, spares. Plus the batteries are heavy to carry. You prove you don't know a whole lot about ebikes by making assumptions of going long distances at high speeds uphill. Hills really eat up the power. I should know. I have a nasty hill up to my house. I have my bike set on Turbo, gear set in 2 and huff and puff to get up that hill whilst the battery is losing power. Remember folks. E bikes run on BATTERIES and pedaling. It's a constant process of trying not to run the battery out before the trip is over.
I'm sorry, but one can go further WITH a battery (e bike) than without one (normal bike). You can quantify it however you want but that's the fact of the matter. Not really interested in hearing arguments to that point. Also not interested in engaging in the speed/interaction argument. Way too many assumptions being made. I am interested in trail impact and in that debate, my point stands.

"Whatever your mountain, climb on."
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Dec 07, 2019 12:19 pm 
wanderwild wrote:
I am interested in trail impact and in that debate, my point stands.
What evidence would cause you to change your mind on your point?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers