Forum Index > Trip Reports > White Chuck 8.18.19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
veronika

veronika
PostMon Aug 19, 2019 10:05 pm 
This mountain doesn't get many TR's on here so figured I would give it a go. As a few of you may know, I've been in Florida for the past 7 years so my last TR was in 2012! eek.gif Well, I'm back and back at it and I'm a little rusty. doh.gif I had the opportunity this weekend to tag White Chuck with Cyclopath and Neek. We weren't too sure of what the weather was going to do but the weather forecast predicted some possible views in the afternoon so we went for it. This is not the one to do in snow or rain. Optimal conditions would be dry because of the slabs on the upper part of the trail. As most are aware, this hike isn't a very long one at 4.2 miles RT (YMMV). However, it did not disappoint for one who has been waiting such a long time to get back out there. biggrin.gif The first mile or so is pretty even and steady through some nice forested areas. Then it starts to open up through a beautiful meadow and climb a bit. The next 1/2 mile of the ascent is pretty much a chossy, sketchy traverse along the ridge line. A few scramble areas along the way. Most of the Class II/III scrambling is below the summit. I was honestly expecting much worse due to some recent trip reports on WTA. I'm not going to say it was a simple walk up but I wouldn't quite classify it as too difficult either. Until on the way down... that's when the significant drop off is visible and it isn't behind you! eek.gif Let's say my butt doesn't thank me! shakehead.gif Being a little bit out of shape, it took a little longer than it should coming down. My legs felt like rubber and at times didn't seem like they were going to cooperate much longer. All in all though, this was a very fun scramble with amazing and not to mention... patient... Company! We enjoyed great conversation the entire trip and stopped at Nutty's Junkyard Grill for some post-hike grub! I was impressed. Photo dump:
Hopefully the guys will add some more beta from their perspective and some more eye candy! agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif Thanks again to both of you for spending the day with me and being a part in helping me get back out there! I thoroughly enjoyed this trip! up.gif

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostTue Aug 20, 2019 8:12 am 
Thank you for the report. I wanted to check out White Chuck for a few years now. Do you think the trail is doable to a dog?

neek

neek
PostTue Aug 20, 2019 8:27 am 
Great peak, great company!
kitya wrote:
Thank you for the report. I wanted to check out White Chuck for a few years now. Do you think the trail is doable to a dog?
Met a guy on the trail who said he previously took his 9 year old son and their dog (a beagle I think it was). Personally I wouldn't do either. The exposure is unforgiving.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Aug 20, 2019 9:09 am 

veronika

veronika
PostTue Aug 20, 2019 10:16 am 
I second Neek on the dog... I wouldn't take my pooch up there. The risk is too high. Literally...

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Aug 20, 2019 11:29 am 
HEEEEYYY! You animal! Written like a pro, I think. Cool report, and congrats!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostTue Aug 20, 2019 11:39 am 
Sad!

alpineaussie

alpineaussie
PostTue Aug 20, 2019 3:52 pm 
I was the one with my 13 year old nephew that you met on the ridge. We were coming down. Years ago I took my 1 year old beagle up to the top. He did great. Had to carry him just before the top to get down into the notch. Don’t think I would do it again. The scramble section before the top is looser then it was last year. Nice talking to you guys.

neek

neek
PostTue Aug 20, 2019 5:02 pm 
alpineaussie wrote:
I was the one with my 13 year old nephew that you met on the ridge. We were coming down. Years ago I took my 1 year old beagle up to the top. He did great. Had to carry him just before the top to get down into the notch. Don’t think I would do it again. The scramble section before the top is looser then it was last year. Nice talking to you guys.
Your nephew was great! Tell him thanks again for the beta. Nice running into you both.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 2:21 pm 
Go Veronika! Good to see you post again. up.gif Good job all of you.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 4:14 pm 
kitya wrote:
Sad!
Seeing the places you have taken your dog Cookie, she could ' probably ' do fine. But.....I certainly don't want to recommend an action that ends badly. I wouldn't do it. Why risk it?

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 8:46 pm 
Thank you everyone for the reports and for the suggestions about the dog! Her safety is my highest priority and I will certainly not risk it. While it is hard to judge the danger without seeing it, but thankfully there are many more other fun hikes we can go together! Cookie is very capable in scrambling, but mistakes can happen and safety takes precedence.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 9:49 pm 
I remember when we first climbed it comparing the ridge to a tilted billiard table covered in ball bearings.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
veronika

veronika
PostSat Aug 24, 2019 8:56 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
I remember when we first climbed it comparing the ridge to a tilted billiard table covered in ball bearings.
Pretty good description... clown.gif

Lakes&Summits

Lakes&Summits
PostSat Aug 24, 2019 10:07 pm 
Nikita - thanks for asking the question because I was thinking of the very same one about the dogs. Bummer. Hope Cookie is doing well.