Forum Index > Trail Talk > "Great Wall" closed? (Change Creek, aka Hall Point, Exit 38 off I-90)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostTue Sep 03, 2019 10:56 am 
We found the trail behind the climbing wall and hiked up that on Sunday. Upon reaching an intersection a sign showed "Great Wall Closed." We were not sure which way it was pointing, so we continued right and up. We traversed a very nicely made trail that appears to be abandon. It was not dangerous. Anybody know about this? (This logging road leads to Mt. Washington and is a great hike).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Sep 03, 2019 11:56 am 
Is the sign an official sign? I don’t think the trail is (not familiar with the area), so it could be another one of those “this is not a trail” sagas. It seems that the user-built trails back there seem pretty elaborate. I’ve only done the trail to the Mt. Wa summit once (the official one), the day it was completed & haven’t done anything else back there.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
whitebark

whitebark
PostTue Sep 03, 2019 12:06 pm 
Are you referring to the sign near Change Pond? The sign is outdated and should have been removed. The closure occurred when the part of the Olallie multi use trail in the Change Creek basin was being constructed. During that time, a lot of heavy equipment was being moved up and down the Great Wall road, so there was a safety issue that resulted in the closure. But that work is done for now, at least. Eventually a new section of the Ollalie Trail is going to be constructed into the Hall Creek area, and I suppose that could result in a new closure.

Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostTue Sep 03, 2019 12:36 pm 
Yep, right next to Change Pond...