Forum Index > Trip Reports > North and west sides of Mt Adams
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
drm

drm
PostWed Sep 04, 2019 4:25 pm 
I always go on Mt Adams on Labor Day weekend because everything else is so crowded and I know how to find uncrowded areas. I did a "T" route: up the Divide Camp trail, left to camp. Then back, past that trail and to the west side to Riley Creek.
First Adams view (Adams Glacier) in the big meadow near Divide Camp
First Adams view (Adams Glacier) in the big meadow near Divide Camp
Wimpy logs across Adams Creek - some people were wading higher up, but I crossed this
Wimpy logs across Adams Creek - some people were wading higher up, but I crossed this
This unnamed pond was full when I camped next to it a month ago
This unnamed pond was full when I camped next to it a month ago
Killen Creek and footbridge
Killen Creek and footbridge
I tried going up above Foggy Flats on an old trail to a pond up high, but the old trail was no more and so I gave up on that and went to my fav spot next to the Muddy Fork. Mt Adams had a messy hairdo that evening
I tried going up above Foggy Flats on an old trail to a pond up high, but the old trail was no more and so I gave up on that and went to my fav spot next to the Muddy Fork. Mt Adams had a messy hairdo that evening
But the next morning she was all cleaned up
But the next morning she was all cleaned up
Then I retraced my steps from the day before. This is the pond on the Highline Trail just above where it leaves the PCT.
Then I retraced my steps from the day before. This is the pond on the Highline Trail just above where it leaves the PCT.
The water was lower on Adams Creek - it was about two hours earlier in the day
The water was lower on Adams Creek - it was about two hours earlier in the day
Mutton Creek was quite silty. I finally figured out that the later in the year, they more silty because seasonal snow is gone and glaciers and permanent snowfields are melting
Mutton Creek was quite silty. I finally figured out that the later in the year, they more silty because seasonal snow is gone and glaciers and permanent snowfields are melting
I set up camp just above the PCT next to Riley Creek. This is maybe the only place where Mt Adams has anything like a pointed peak, with the Pinnacle dominating. The point of the Pinnacle is not the summit, but that is hidden from here.
I set up camp just above the PCT next to Riley Creek. This is maybe the only place where Mt Adams has anything like a pointed peak, with the Pinnacle dominating. The point of the Pinnacle is not the summit, but that is hidden from here.
It was early afternoon when I set up camp and my goal was to dayhike up the Riley Creek drainage, so that is the next series of shots, starting with the lower waterfall
It was early afternoon when I set up camp and my goal was to dayhike up the Riley Creek drainage, so that is the next series of shots, starting with the lower waterfall
Meandering
Meandering
rock outcrop
rock outcrop
part way up I was surprised to see some people, then I was more surprised to see a hammock camp
part way up I was surprised to see some people, then I was more surprised to see a hammock camp
More meandering
More meandering
More waterfalls (there were many)
More waterfalls (there were many)
My high point, probably only about 6400 feet, the Pinnacle still dominates
My high point, probably only about 6400 feet, the Pinnacle still dominates
And on the way home the next day, a nice view of Rainier
And on the way home the next day, a nice view of Rainier

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 7:50 am