Forum Index > Trail Talk > Have you ever camped on the shoulder of a logging road?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 9:15 pm 
Around 7pm tonight I was shocked to see a thruhiker camped on the shoulder of a gravel road next to Lizard Lake (Stampede Pass 18 mi east of Snoqualmie Pass via PCT) It's sometimes busy logging road off of FR 54.
I basically pleaded with the guy to move to several nice campsites on the other side of the tiny lake. I wasn't alone another motorist had mentioned the road as being busy.... He didn't seem phased and threw me the peace sign when I first stopped and when I left. Super sketchy place to spend the night! I hope he moved! On the drive home I tried to remember if I've ever camped beside a road, ever. I don't think I have. Motorists are scarier than bears!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 9:30 pm 
Yes. In my vans. Maybe once or twice next to a car in a tent under duress on road trips but that was long ago.

MultiUser

MultiUser
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 12:00 am 
Only if van camping counts as camping in this context. I hope he listened to you and others and eventually moved.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 4:00 am 
IDK, perhaps someone that's been hiking continously since April knows what works for them.

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 7:53 am 
Nice drawing. Stick people would be nice in there somewhere too...he he

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 8:03 am 
I guess I don't understand the issue here. Was he impeding traffic on the shoulder? I've spent a night many times in my truck on a pullout of a logging road to get an early start on a climb.

salish

salish
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 8:20 am 
I was at Lizard Lake a few weeks ago and my buddy's pooch rolled in human poo right off the road in an obvious camping spot. It took us forever to get him clean enough to get him in the car, and even then it was only possible with all the windows rolled down. It's nasty there. It's kind of sad because my family used to camp there in the late 50's and I don't recall so much trash. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
neek

neek
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 8:30 am 
Schroder wrote:
I guess I don't understand the issue here. Was he impeding traffic on the shoulder?
That's one way to put it! You really need high clearance if you're going to be driving over human bodies, which it seems is what a momentary lapse in attention could lead to here, especially on a curve like that.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 8:52 am 
Can I get that map at Metsker?

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 9:30 am 
I'm fascinated by the detail of your map. The culvert adds perspective and intrigue. up.gif I can't wait to ride the ferris wheels there!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 10:06 am 
I have camped on old landings or road ends many times but never on the side of an active road.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
RichP

RichP
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 11:43 am 
Dude, I didn't know you were so artistic. biggrin.gif

Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 12:22 pm 
two rings of fire in that map. Hell, I even camped in the middle of a logging road! Several times. When you are tired, nothing else matters!!!

Art is an adventure.
Windstorm

Windstorm
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 2:18 pm 
Yes, but it was a bit early for logging (still a decent amount of snow in places) and was behind a locked gate. We looked for a place off the road, but the road was traversing a hill, so it was basically the only flat place to set up camp.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 4:24 pm 
yeah... on East Eagle Creek Road in the Eagle Cap area. drove up there in the middle of the night, took a wrong turn, got onto the wrong road. there was water running over the roadway and it looked sketchy so I backed down the road about two hundred feet, pulled my sleeping bag off the bottom of my pack, walked down off the roadway a bit, and crashed. spent a night sleeping in the middle of the trail one night too - somewhere between Smith Place and Tshletshy - when the batteries in my flashlight went dead. sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."