Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bear Creek Mountain: 08/31/19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSat Aug 31, 2019 7:59 pm 
Made the long drive down to the Goat Rocks area to check this one out. Arrived at the Section 3 Lake TH just before 11am. The lot was full (it only holds ~10 cars) so I parked a short ways down the road. The first couple of miles are mostly flat and travel through forest and meadows. After crossing Bear Creek (which is just a trickle right now), the trail reaches a junction with trail #1130, which comes up from Conrad Meadows. Then it's up and up to the south shoulder of Bear Creek Mountain. From there, it's an easy stroll through lupine gardens up to the summit. Outstanding views all around. Pebbles and I napped, ate lunch, and gawked at the scenery before heading back down. Back at the car at 3:15pm. up.gif
P1270331-Pano
P1270331-Pano
P1270346-Pano
P1270346-Pano

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Sep 01, 2019 8:48 am 
up.gif I made it down there earlier in the year expansive views Adams to Rainier and early wildflowers. Very Nice !

Living in the Anthropocene
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Sep 02, 2019 4:16 pm 
up.gif what kind of shape is the road in to get there?

Eric Eames
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Sep 02, 2019 9:10 pm 
raising3hikers wrote:
up.gif what kind of shape is the road in to get there?
Very good condition.

Living in the Anthropocene
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 6:07 pm 
One of my favorite local hikes, great pics!! smile.gif

bk

bk
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 1:14 am 
raising3hikers wrote:
what kind of shape is the road in to get there?
For low-clearance vehicles: mostly very good. The last mile or two must be done with some care. About 1/3-mile before the trailhead, there is a show-stopper jaw-line of alternating embedded rocks and deep pits that spans the road . . . with a near promise to puncture something on the belly of the car. My Acura Integra could not figure out the puzzle and parked on a wide pull-off 50 feet before this point. (Not a big deal for the extra 1/3-mile walk.) (Vehicles with high clearance had no issue at this point . . . but another low-clearance pick-up also did a back-up-and-give-up at this point, too.)

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 9:06 pm 
Just an FYI for people who go there a lot: There is a set of "pinnacles" - tall straight skinny rocks, really impressive, right above the parking area off to the right 9as you approach). These rocks are visible as you approach the area. Take your bearings as you are driving up then set off uphill cross-country till you reach them, it's worth the trip. Takes about an hour in and out and the view is magnificent.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 11:01 am 
Nice. We were hiking in the upper Conrad meadows and camped at Cold Lake that night. I can't find myself in your photos though. Did you see a group of several Japanese (I think) hikers on your hike? They traversed toward Cold Lake and ended up camping about a quarter mile below the lake that night. They seemed spooked by the traverse. They thought there was supposed to be a trail the whole way (?) but they lost it. They were wondering if there was another way out. I told them about the S. Fork Tieton trail which we had taken. Wonder if they made it back out ok...

yukon222

yukon222
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 1:14 pm 
Thanks for the TR! Brings back a lot of memories as I enjoyed that Pinegrass Ridge, Section Three, Conrad etc for years - my late uncle used to have a cabin down along Rimrock Lake so we were there year round. FYI - about 1/2 mile before the Section Three trailhead, just before the road crosses the steep hillside, look off to your right for a narrow 4WD road # 699. It takes up onto the high plateau just to the North of the rock pinnacles Kbatku is mentioning. Great views in all directions from up here. https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=46.56255,-121.30702&z=15&b=f16a