Forum Index > Trail Talk > Extended Weather Models Indicate a quite cool and wet September.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Sep 27, 2019 6:08 pm 
Other than anyone that might be caught up there unprepared this weekend I'm not too worried about it. Kind of wished I had donned the raincoat for some blueberry hikes the last few days. The weather was pretty nice locally.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostFri Sep 27, 2019 6:21 pm 
Wonder if there will be enough to stick through midweek? Was hoping to get up to robin lake tue-Thur. Looks slim at this point if the snow keeps up.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Sep 27, 2019 11:09 pm 
This is crazy. I've swam in Lake Washington (without a wet suit) in September. Then again I've been in snow and hail storms in July and August in Horseshoe Basin and Harts Pass.

gb

gb
PostSat Sep 28, 2019 6:37 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
This is crazy. I've swam in Lake Washington (without a wet suit) in September. Then again I've been in snow and hail storms in July and August in Horseshoe Basin and Harts Pass.
For much of the Cascades what is impressive is how very cold it is and gets to be for this time of year. It is only along the east side that there is the forecast of a great deal of snow that begins about now. As this low drops further south, Howard Sheckter in Mammoth says the upper level temperatures are some 3.5 standard deviations below normal for this time of year. At 18,000' temperatures reach -30C or minus -31C at the core of the low. Perhaps it was this cold when I skied powder September 25th of 1971 near Mt. Baker. But, otherwise I don't ever recall it being this cold this time of year. Sure, I have slept in some high basin and seen upper teens especially around October 10th, but that is a localized inversion under clear skies, and that is October. It is about that cold now under mainly cloudy skies.....

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Sep 28, 2019 7:52 am 
It isn't just the snow. Here on the east side we are getting some pretty good winds. Yesterday it was howling and I see it is starting up again. I cannot see the mountains yet so don't know how low the snow is. It rained last night. Temps are in the 40s here in the valley this morning. I do not consider that to be cold. The Stormy Kromer hats are now in stock at the feed store. The Paschal Sherman school is asking for donations of winter clothing for kids. It is Fall.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSat Sep 28, 2019 8:04 am 
On the Washdot White Pass cam there is definitely some snow seen I'll try and post how low I find the snow levels are on HWY 12 east tonight

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
neek

neek
PostSat Sep 28, 2019 8:53 am 
gb wrote:
All of those blueberries going to waste.
At least they're being returned to the earth, but still I'm kicking myself for not going back for more. They were pretty incredible this (short) season. Over a foot possible at Blewett pass this weekend. Looks clear now though. Up to 3' on Mission Peak followed by at least a week of near-freezing temps and possibly more snow later in the week! Only a couple inches predicted for Lyman Lakes. I'm still hoping for some great conditions Tuesday as long as we don't head too far east. Wonder when Hwy 20 will close this year.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Sep 28, 2019 9:14 am 
I would say that the snow level is somewhere around 3000 feet this morning. It is where the trees start on the hillsides. Here is the Loup Cam. https://skitheloup.com/loup-loup-mountain-cams/ Are they starting to groom already?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostSat Sep 28, 2019 10:38 am 
neek wrote:
Only a couple inches predicted for Lyman Lakes. I'm still hoping for some great conditions Tuesday as long as we don't head too far east.
The gap could sure use some snow. Last week there was virtually none from above spider meadow half way to upper Lyman.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSat Sep 28, 2019 8:13 pm 
Lower Cascades were not hit too badly today snow was probably 3800-3900 ft where it was patchy on the ground and it was falling but not sticking at about 3200ft on hwy 12 and the 1000 white pass had snow on the ground and more falling but it was not really accumulating well.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Sep 29, 2019 7:24 am 
Drove to Wenatchee and back to Seattle yesterday via Snoqualmie & Blewett. Snow line just a couple hundred feet above Snoqualmie and a couple inches at most at Blewett on the way over. On the way back it was raining hard from the East side of Blewett to about Easton where it turned into a torrential downpour which lasted almost to North bend. It was rain-snow mix at Blewett and solid snow at Snoqualmie but too warm to stick. Given how hard it was raining in those areas I wouldn't be surprised if a foot or more piled up above 4500'.

gb

gb
PostSun Sep 29, 2019 7:48 am 
Bedivere wrote:
Drove to Wenatchee and back to Seattle yesterday via Snoqualmie & Blewett. Snow line just a couple hundred feet above Snoqualmie and a couple inches at most at Blewett on the way over. On the way back it was raining hard from the East side of Blewett to about Easton where it turned into a torrential downpour which lasted almost to North bend. It was rain-snow mix at Blewett and solid snow at Snoqualmie but too warm to stick. Given how hard it was raining in those areas I wouldn't be surprised if a foot or more piled up above 4500'.
Thanks for the observation, Bedivere. Since it won't get all that warm for at least awhile, it is good info to kind of know what to expect for hiking.

gb

gb
PostSun Sep 29, 2019 8:11 am 
If you want to look at the broader picture of what is happening as well as waves of moisture rotating around the low, the broadview water vapor loop provides a good depiction: 16km Western Water Vapor Loop

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSun Sep 29, 2019 8:26 am 
Looks like snow is fairly low in the us 12, 410 area maybe 2500 3000 ft before a dusting of snow is visible.

Toni

Toni
PostSun Sep 29, 2019 8:45 am 
Since I had planned to hike Maple Pass tomorrow w friends, some of which are still heading over, I've been looking at the hr by hr snow accumulation on Washington Pass. It is showing 9" now @ 8:00 a.m. ( it was 8" @ 4 a.m.) Washington Pass 5450'/ 23* Maple Pass, 6600' This is per Northwest Avalanche Center, if I understand their chart correctly... dizzy.gif .

There is no Planet B