Forum Index > Photography Talk > WTA Calendar Photo: Genuine or Fraud?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
garyw
Occasional Member

garyw
Occasional Member
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 9:50 am 
The WTA July 2019 calendar photo had the following picture. The sunglasses appear to be reflecting Mt. Adams and Mt. Hood. But, shouldn't those images be reversed? If the person is looking south towards Mt. Adams and Mt. Hood, I would expect Mt. Adams to be in the person's left lens and Mt. Hood in the right. Or, did WTA use a mirror image of the original photo?
Grand Prize
Grand Prize

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 11:38 am 
If that is Adams and Hood which it looks like it is then I agree that it would seem Adams should be in the left lens.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Aug 08, 2019 10:17 am 
Is there anywhere that view can be had by looking north?

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
ejain

ejain
PostFri Aug 09, 2019 12:34 pm 
Supposedly this picture was taken at Camp Muir. Perhaps it was flipped so the reflections show the view as seen? Someone needs to track down the model and check which way their hair parts :-)

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Aug 09, 2019 12:41 pm 
Adams looks correct for when you are standing at Muir and looking towards Adam's. But we are looking at a reflection, so the whole image must have been mirrored. Or it is a composition, which seems the most likely.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSun Aug 11, 2019 6:13 pm 
This looks VERY photoshopped! The mountains are indeed the wrong way around, I'm trying to think if you could even get a mountain reflection like that in a pair of sunglasses. I think you'd get a wide angle reflection of the view rather than close ups even if you used a telephoto lens. Edit: looking closely at the background and the angle of the sun behind him, I suspect that he was actually facing towards Rainier (if he was actually even at Rainier) - away from Adams/Hood.!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Aug 11, 2019 7:04 pm 
I think it's probably a legit photo. The image is flipped to get the correct perspective.

neek

neek
PostSun Aug 11, 2019 8:18 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Is there anywhere that view can be had by looking north?
Indeed, if you're looking at a mirror biggrin.gif I doubt it was anything more than a lucky coincidence that the lenses were angled such that Adams and Hood are both perfectly framed. The image is indeed flipped, but most people would forgive that. The afternoon light is coming from the right direction if you account for the flip. Glacier glasses make for pretty good mirrors.

garyw
Occasional Member

garyw
Occasional Member
PostSun Aug 11, 2019 9:46 pm 
The hiker was heading up to Camp Muir. Looking north, the view would be just Mt. Rainier.

garyw
Occasional Member

garyw
Occasional Member
PostSun Aug 11, 2019 9:54 pm 
Perhaps it is a mirror image of a legitimate photo. I don't think that should be allowed in a photo contest though. In the text on the calendar page was "Hope noticed the reflection of Rainier and the surrounding peaks in Sushank's glasses." That may be the case, but he must have turned around because the photo shows Mt. Adams, not Mt. Rainier.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Aug 11, 2019 10:51 pm 
ejain wrote:
Someone needs to track down the model and check which way their hair parts :-)
Good point. I'll go with fake after finding this photo on FB. Hair should part the other way if the WTA image was flipped. Also, the shadows on his face are almost identical to the WTA photo confirming NacMacFeegle's suspicion he was facing Rainier. I wonder if he was duped as well? The irony is the caption was correct in terms of Rainier being reflected. tongue.gif

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Aug 12, 2019 8:37 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Or it is a composition, which seems the most likely.
Composites these days can be so good that sometimes I can't tell them apart from a real photograph. They need to be identified as such. This particular photo, composite or not, isn't one I like anyway. It's so overly processed that the subject looks like a caricature of a human. Speaking for myself, I'm not a huge fan of doing a post-processing treatment like that with humans/portraits. I wouldn't have picked it as a winner.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
garyw
Occasional Member

garyw
Occasional Member
PostTue Aug 13, 2019 8:15 am 
The FB photo Tom found proves that the calendar photo of the hiker is not a mirror image. By comparing the two photos one can see that the Mt. Adams image in the hiker's sunglasses is not a reflection/mirror image. With a little more effort, Hope could have used mirror images of Mt. Adams and Mt. Hood, switched their locations in the sunglasses and ended up with a more plausible photo.

neek

neek
PostTue Aug 13, 2019 11:35 am 
Wow, good find, Tom. And garyw for noticing in the first place. I take back my earlier assessment. The inconsistency can only be explained by some sort of manipulation going on. So now I feel OK sharing my original reaction to this photo winning, which was: seriously? It would look good in an REI catalog, but in a contest like this I want to some nice mountain scenery, not a big picture of some dude's face, attractive though he may be.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Aug 13, 2019 6:00 pm 
If it was a legitimate photo I can see why it might win. It's got a good story to go along with it. Presumably the photographer and subject didn't know each other and met on the way up. But I don't think it would have won if the judges knew it was a composite of two photos.