Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hart's Pass road condition
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 10:52 am 
Just a heads up for anyone planning to drive up the Hart's Pass/Slate Peak road. I planned on driving to Slate Peak on Sunday. Made it to the narrowest/sketchiest part of the road (steep rock on one side, long drop on the other), where I ran into a mudslide that blocked the road. I was able to turn around, but it wasn't easy. On the drive back, I met a FS ranger headed up. He had obviously heard about the slide, as he flagged me down to ask for details. Not sure how long it will take to clear. But I wouldn't try to drive up there without calling the ranger district first.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sooperfly

sooperfly
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 11:49 am 
Thank you for the update! Unless there is serious damage, my guess it will be fixed soon as that's a popular place. And, the high hunt starts on the 15th.

kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 10:44 am 
Update Alert: Road damage and debris flows Recent heavy rains have caused a number of debris flows across roads in the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest: • Twisp River area in the Crescent Fire burn scar – Debris flows have occurred in three locations along Twisp River Road #4430, approx. 16 miles west of Twisp, WA. The slides are in the Slate Creek Trailhead vicinity. The road is not passable and is closed; barricades have been placed at both sides of the debris flows. Heavy equipment will be needed to remove the material that washed down the hill over the roadway; this work will probably occur some time next week. • Winthrop/Mazama area – There is a small debris slide on Hart’s Pass Road, crews were able to clear a bit of it but it is not recommended for use as the slide may still be active, especially with more rainfall. Road repair work is set for this week. • Four slides on the North Fork Tieton Road #1207 in the Miriam Creek and Crescent fires burn scars on the Naches Ranger District on Sept. 9 temporarily trapped some recreationists behind the slides. Forest Service crews were able to re-open the road enough for folks to leave that afternoon.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 8:27 pm 
Thanks MC. Nice to see you on here again Soops.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln