Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > North Cascades Grizzly Recovery
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostWed Jul 08, 2020 7:43 pm 
Carrying bear spray is a minor inconvenience. In September 2015 I revisited Assiniboine for the 4th time. My friend turned over operation of Assiniboine Lodge to his son about two years before that after having had the concession, booking all of the Naisett cabins, and booking the campsites in Assiniboine Provincial Park since 1982. I had a beer with him at the lodge and asked, "Have their been many incidents in the area since you have been there? His reply was no, and then he told me that the Grizzlies were not native to the Rockies but in the old days were down on the Prairies, and S.R. pointed to an area where you would be likely to see a Grizzly, as they eat Hedysarum. The Marmots have also adapted by digging under rock outcrops (which I saw above the lodge on a solo hike). I also rode and talked with Andy Mackinnon in April of 2019. When I asked, "Who did all the surveys of the plants in EFloraBC? He replied, "Me and Jim Pojar, over thirty years surveying all the plants in BC." I asked, Have you had any negative encounters with Grizzlies in that time." He replied, "Only good ones."

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jul 08, 2020 9:43 pm 
altasnob wrote:
"My point being, lack of money may be a good reason..."
Yes, it is a good reason, and the National Park Service's funding appropriations continue to dwindle every year. (One of the reasons they are going to demolish and remove at least one of the Ranger Stations at Olympic National Park.) FTR: I have not argued for or against grizzly bears on this website. I've been only an observer here where this discussion is concerned, and I remain somewhat ambivalent about reintroduction of any extirpated species. (Wolves were not reintroduced into Washington State.) In the meantime, watch out for those toasters.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
FiveNines

FiveNines
PostWed Jul 08, 2020 9:59 pm 
Kitya, Would you let your dog hike off leash in grizzly country? Why or why not? GB, That's a pretty cool anecdote about Andy Mackinnon. I bet it was a lot of fun riding and talking to him Hearing stories about his adventures and explorations. Here is a story about Mr Langley. TJ had a different experience than your friend Andy. I wonder what it would be like to ride talk with TJ's family and friends about girzzly bears? Is their experience more or less valid than Andy's? Are either/both of these stories good evidence or reason to make a wildlife reintroduction policy? Or are they just interesting and emotional anecdotes about people most of us don't know and have never met? Why or why not?

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostWed Jul 08, 2020 10:14 pm 
gb wrote:
...told me that the Grizzlies were not native to the Rockies but in the old days were down on the Prairies...
I’m pretty sure Griz were all over Rockies (not sure about Cascades) in the 1800’s. Read the accounts of the various ‘mountain men’ and other explorers. Yes, Griz were out on the prairies - as were Elk and other species. I’m ambivalent about re-introduction, too. But, let’s not pretend they weren’t in the mountains.

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostWed Jul 08, 2020 11:18 pm 
FiveNines wrote:
Would you let your dog hike off leash in grizzly country? Why or why not?
That is super easy for me to answer, because I would never let my dog (or any dog) hike off leash anywhere at all. This is always irresponsible, completely regardless of grizzly bear presence. I have personally met grizzly bears in the wild in BC. I have personally met even larger polar bears in MB. It was never scary or threatening in any way. It is not at all hard to co-exist with any bear.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Jul 08, 2020 11:32 pm 
kitya wrote:
That is super easy for me to answer, because I would never let my dog (or any dog) hike off leash anywhere at all. This is always irresponsible, completely regardless of grizzly bear presence.
Very true, but I've been told that every now and then you get a good dog that is an exception to the rule

altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Jul 08, 2020 11:42 pm 
Per Wikipedia, grizzlies were nearly everywhere in Western North America. Plains, mountains, chilling on the beaches of Santa Monica, down in Mexico.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jul 09, 2020 6:38 am 
Supposedly, there are bears already in the area. So, you'd best already be taking precautions. I'd say that yes, most people who live on the east side of the mountains do not want bears dumped. Wolves are bad enough and costing a heck of a lot of money to try to manage along with the usual lawsuits and bickering. If the orange one is deposed in January, there will be a heck of a lot of things to fix that are more important than dumping bears in an area that already has a few in it. I'd compare it to a train wreck.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
gb

gb
PostThu Jul 09, 2020 7:08 am 
I've seen tracks myself in the North Cascades in 2009 (front) that measured about 9-1/4" by 10-1/2" with a 2" claw overhang. About 30 fresh tracks on snow in late May. I've also talked with two folks that have seen them; one very near where I saw the tracks a couple of months later.

gb

gb
PostThu Jul 09, 2020 7:11 am 
FiveNines wrote:
GB, That's a pretty cool anecdote about Andy Mackinnon. I bet it was a lot of fun riding and talking to him Hearing stories about his adventures and explorations. Here is a story about Mr Langley. TJ had a different experience than your friend Andy. I wonder what it would be like to ride talk with TJ's family and friends about girzzly bears? Is their experience more or less valid than Andy's?
I do carry bear spray in hand when hiking solo with poor visibility. I do so in one area of the Purcells that I visit most falls for several days.

jackchinook

jackchinook
PostThu Jul 09, 2020 8:47 am 
altasnob wrote:
In a perfect world, we would reintroduce grizzlies and wolves to Washington and for the rural residents that are economically effected (wolves/grizzlies eat their cows) we would have social programs to help those move to the big cities and find employment. No one has a right to live in wildlife habitat.
This is certainly a vision of a "perfect world" that it's fair to say not everyone shares or sees as realistic. Where do you draw the line? My guess is that Grizzlies and wolves once thrived in many areas where a river hits the sea and where a city now exists.

jeannette

jeannette
PostThu Jul 09, 2020 10:25 am 
[Altasnob][/IMO, the fact that a few people may die due to a grizzly attack is not a sufficient reason to not reintroduce grizzlies to their native habitats, if it is realistically possible] I guess as long as you are OK with the fact that you might be one of those few people who die due to a grizzly attack

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jul 09, 2020 10:36 am 
Besides people dying, trails may be closed when griz is in the area. If the bears don't know that they are supposed to stay in the park, and settle down in the non wilderness, roads may be closed, gated, or decommissioned as the area is now grizzly habitat. There's more to it than people getting killed.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
FiveNines

FiveNines
PostThu Jul 09, 2020 12:56 pm 
kitya wrote:
I would never let my dog (or any dog) hike off leash anywhere at all. This is always irresponsible, completely regardless of grizzly bear presence.
I'd assumed, based on the terrain you routinely bushwack and scramble through, that you'd have to unleash your dog for safe and efficient travel. Props to you for doing things I could not comprehend. Boo to me for making assumptions.

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostThu Jul 09, 2020 3:37 pm 
Black bears too, apparently, love doing some road maintenance, here is an example from Beckler river road: https://www.facebook.com/groups/washingtonhikersandclimbers/permalink/3001872796705714/ FiveNines - it might not be as effective to scramble with the leash, but I feel it is safer. At least once I had a situation in winter, where Cookie slipped on ice into a waterfall. She would have been dragged away by water, if not me holding her leash and able to pull her back out quickly. Leash is safer for the dog, it is safer for wildlife too.