Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > North Cascades Grizzly Recovery
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri Jul 10, 2020 4:57 pm 
I don't understand the logic in this thread! reintroduce griz into washington state? then lets reintroduce bison to the plains since we have an over abundance of them in the natl parks. Let them roam neb, wy, kan,co, etc.......

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
altasnob

altasnob
PostFri Jul 10, 2020 10:57 pm 
There are efforts to reintroduce wild bison to the plains in N America. Here is one wild herd in Indiana. A lot of the plains are privately owned and you can't introduce a species onto private lands unless the private land holder wants that species (the Nature Conservancy owns the Indiana reserve). If the majority of the plains was federal wilderness areas like the potential grizzly habitat we are discussing, I think you would see more bison introduced. Having been around grizzlies in Denali NP, Assiniboine, BC, Waterton Park, AB, Glacier NP, Beartooths, and Wind Rivers, I don't understand why the N Cascades, Pasayton, and Salmo Priest Wilderness is any different. The places I've seen grizzlies are not exactly remote, and are filled with tourist, both along roads and deeper into the wilderness. The local economies benefit from the grizzlies as people travel to see the grizzlies. The Pasayton and Salmo Priest Wilderness are some of the more remote wilderness areas in the lower 48. These places should have a healthy grizzly population. You should not fear grizzlies, just like you should not fear driving to a trailhead to go hiking, even though the later is much more deadly.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jul 11, 2020 10:17 am 
altasnob wrote:
These places should have a healthy grizzly population.
The "should" part of that is the flaw in the argument: "should" by what metric? There are grizzly bears in British Columbia and Alberta. If they so chose to do so, they could easily amble down and occupy lands south of the 49th parallel. Border Patrol, ICE, the FBI, and the US Marine Corps wouldn't be able to stop them. Which begs the question: why have they not chosen to do so? The wolves found their own way here. Why not the bears? Nothing is stopping them. What is the argument justifying "tinkering with nature" and moving wild animals about? Odd that some of the same people who support reintroduction are often the same people who argue to "let nature take its course". Aside from that, of course, is the question about "balancing ecosystems", for which no credible argument has yet to be presented. By what metric is the ecosystem "out of balance" to the point where it becomes necessary to reintroduce an extirpated species? What about species which have become extinct? Is our ecosytem "out of balance" lacking Wooly Mammoths and Saber-Tooth Tigers? Is the ecosystem of eastern Europe "out of balance" lacking the Auroch?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSat Jul 11, 2020 10:20 am 
Ski wrote:
altasnob wrote:
These places should have a healthy grizzly population.
The "should" part of that is the flaw in the argument: "should" by what metric? There are grizzly bears in British Columbia and Alberta. If they so chose to do so, they could easily amble down and occupy lands south of the 49th parallel. Border Patrol, ICE, the FBI, and the US Marine Corps wouldn't be able to stop them. Which begs the question: why have they not chosen to do so? The wolves found their own way here. Why not the bears? Nothing is stopping them. What is the argument justifying "tinkering with nature" and moving wild animals about? Odd that some of the same people who support reintroduction are often the same people who argue to "let nature take its course".
^ This, well stated, Ski!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jul 11, 2020 10:37 am 
Well... perhaps... I think it's counterproductive in some cases to try to "fix" nature. On the flip side: the reintroduction of the Fisher into Olympic National Park has thus far been a success story: the animals are doing okay and not bothering anybody's livestock. But again, it begs the question: Was the ecosystem in Olympic National Park so "out of balance" that it needed the Fisher? How has the Fisher "rebalanced" the ecosystem? And to what degree? The argument for bringing the Gray Wolf back into the ecosystem is 100% supported by a few papers by professors Beschta and Ripple from Oregon State University, and 100% supported by the results seen on the Yellowstone River in Yellowsone National park. And while those same conditions (to a degree - the species of indigenous flora vary somewhat) may exist in riverine systems in Olympic National Park, credible sources argue that conditions other than the extirpation of the apex predator (in this case, the Gray Wolf) are the primary cause of existing conditions in those riparian environments. (see "Channel-planform evolution in four rivers of Olympic National Park, Washington, USA: the roles of physical drivers and trophic cascades" by East, Jenkins, Happe, et al, Olympic National Park 2016) So exactly where is the evidence that reintroduction of an extirpated species into this particular geographic area is going to cause some paradigm shift that will "rebalance" this putative "out of balance" ecosystem, which by all observations seems to be doing quite well on its own at present, notwithstanding the decimation of native runs of anadromous salmonids (upon which the reintroduction of the grizzly bear would have a significant detrimental effect?) Sorry.... honestly... I have refrained from commenting in this discussion either for or against, but the idea of reintroduction of the grizzly bear, when they could easily occupy those lands all on their own, sounds like a bit of a stretch.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Jul 11, 2020 12:53 pm 
I don't know a lot of the details of this organization, but have been aware for some time that it exists: Yellowstone to Yukon Conservation Initiative aka Y2Y. It's an umbrella organization coordinating many gov't agencies, NGOs, etc across various jurisdictions. Their biggest goal, and I think, the most worthy, is to create a habitat continuity corridor for the apex species therein. Pretty sure grizzly re-introduction is one of their projects too. But I wonder whether griz reintroduction advocates have considered whether the current state of habitat can even support reintroduced griz; not just in area, but habitat quality. A lot's changed since their regional extirpations: frequent, larger forest fires, food source degradation due to climate change, etc. including lower snowpack, earlier meltouts, water sources going completely dry inhot years that never did before. I've even stopped berry picking, thinking the cirtters need it more than I do. Let the animals do their thing naturally. They'll migrate as the terrain allows. We've seen how quickly they repopulated areas since Covid took humans out of their stomping grounds. And it's hypocrisy to reintroduce griz without making their hunting illegal. (That would probably go over like a lead balloon. ) Nature bounces back as soon as we step out of it. Imagine what we'd get if humans left all the NFs and NPs for 2 whole years ... besides humans going stir crazy. dizzy.gif doof.gif vent.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jul 11, 2020 1:24 pm 
This is only anecdotal, but an old timer, who built a lot of trails in the Pasayten and worked there when it was the Early Winters Ranger District and then the Winthrop, has the opinion that there just isn't enough food for anymore grizzlies than what may be there. He has no wildlife degree, but spent a lot of time in the area. I guess the bear experts disagree. Maybe if the sheep herds were brought back in, the grizzes would follow.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
altasnob

altasnob
PostSat Jul 11, 2020 3:17 pm 
So why does Glacier NP support a healthy grizzly bear population even with a logjam of tourists? What habitat and food supply exists there that a grizzly could not find in the N Cascades, Pasayton or Salmo Priest Wilderness? As I understand, they largely eat berries. Seems like no shortage of that in Washington. Grizzlies are the apex species and require a tremendous amount of terrain per bear compared to other species. Also, in a hypothetical healthy ecosystem without human interference, wouldn't there be many more wolves than grizzlies? So it's not surprising the wolves have found a way to south of boarder where as bears have not. And I think bears would be in WA already if not for the increasing population and development of the Canadian Okanogan valley, which had 362,258 people in 2016 and is quickly becoming a tech hub of BC without Vancouver's outrageous real estate prices. I don't think the fact the bears are not in WA necessarily proves that WA could not support a healthy grizzly population. They just haven't made it back here yet for a variety of human made reasons.

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSat Jul 11, 2020 3:57 pm 
Ski wrote:
There are grizzly bears in British Columbia and Alberta. If they so chose to do so, they could easily amble down and occupy lands south of the 49th parallel. Border Patrol, ICE, the FBI, and the US Marine Corps wouldn't be able to stop them. Which begs the question: why have they not chosen to do so? The wolves found their own way here. Why not the bears? Nothing is stopping them. What is the argument justifying "tinkering with nature" and moving wild animals about?
This is a reasonable question, but perhaps before asking it you should have looked up arguments that the proponents of restoration make, instead of dismissing it with jokes about border patrol. Read here: https://www.northcascadesgrizzly.org/faq/ "Why can’t grizzly bears recolonize the North Cascades on their own? Although there are grizzly bears in southwest British Columbia, their numbers are depressed because of habitat fragmentation, human development and associated effects on bear security (e.g. poaching, human conflict) and genetic diversity. Because of barriers such as the Fraser River Valley and TransCanada Highway, the North Cascades Ecosystem is not well-connected to grizzly bear populations in the B.C. Coast and Chilcotin Ranges so there are no readily available source bear populations to recolonize the North Cascades naturally. On top of the connectivity barriers, grizzly bears are slow to increase in numbers because of their reproductive biology – they are the second slowest reproducing land animal in North America, next to the musk ox. All of these factors combine to make natural recolonization of the North Cascades by grizzly bears traveling in from elsewhere nearly impossible." You can find reasonable answers to the questions you have right there in the FAQ. Grizzly restoration idea is not something like "lets just purchase some zoo bears and dump them in random spots near ranchers in eastern Washington". Proponents of grizzly restoration are not at all arguing for that. Restoration is a process and even just starting it takes many years and it starts with both public process (find out if the majority of people actually want this done) and research (preparing environmental impact statement). The goal of EIS is exactly to conduct proper research and evaluate options (including option of doing nothing) and to evaluate with hard data to the best of our scientific knowledge what will exactly be the impact on the ecosystem of re-introduction, of doing nothing, etc., compare all options. This process was already going on for almost 4 years and money was already spent on researching the options and completing the EIS. EIS was very closed to being done, in fact it was scheduled to be completed in 2020, this year. I don't know what the final outcome of EIS would have been. Maybe they would have found that grizzly bear restoration is not needed and the ecosystem is fine as it is or maybe it is already not healthy enough to support grizzly bears. Maybe they would have found that research data shows that grizzly bear restoration would likely be a success and will greatly and measurably improve the ecosystem. People supporting grizzly bear restoration hoped that EIS would have supported what a lot of environmental biologists are already saying and would have supported that grizzly bear restoration is a positive step for north cascades and is also supported by the majority of both eastern and western Washington residents, but if data would have shown otherwise, I'm sure we would have accepted that outcome too. Instead Trump administration decided to suddenly abort the research process just weeks before it would have completed. This is very disappointing to supporters of bear restoration, this is also against the will of many Washingtonians and wasteful to our public money.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jul 11, 2020 4:15 pm 
Bears are, unless I've been misinformed, omnivorous - they'll eat pretty much anything. The wolves came into Eastern Washington (according to wildlife managers) from the east and northeast - presumably Idaho and (possibly) southeastern British Columbia. Currently, according to the Provincial Government's own numbers, there are about 15,000 grizzly bears in British Columbia. According to "Conservation Northwest", there are approximately 50-60 grizzly bears in Washington State in the Selkirks, and about 10 grizzly bears in North Cascade National Park. Looking at the color-coded map on the BC government's page I cited just above, it would seem that translocation (the proper term in the parlance of wildlife management) of grizzly bears in to North Cascades National Park might well be dropping them onto an ecological "island", lacking any viable migratory corridors to other areas where grizzly bear populations of any significance exist. That in and of itself doesn't sound to me like sound wildlife management. It sounds more like a recipe for genetic disaster with a high potential (and most likely high likelihood) of inbreeding. Again, I would submit this is tinkering with the latches on Pandora's Box, failing to take into consideration the inevitable (and all too often) disastrous unforeseen consequences. As to your question regarding Glacier National Park: I suppose there could well be the possibility that there's a viable migratory corridor between Glacier National Park and the Provincial National Park just on the other side of the border. In the case of North Cascades National Park, it appears that the area immediately north (on the Canadian side) is area where the grizzly bear has either been extirpated (due, no doubt, to the massive agricultural, industrial, and residential development of the area) or the grizzly bear population is "threatened" (presumably for the same reasons.) You've repeatedly brought up British Columbia, Alberta, Banff, Assiniboine, Denali, and other destinations where "healthy" grizzly bear populations exist. While that's no doubt true, it is something of an apples-to-oranges comparison: British Columbia land mass area: 364764 square miles human population: 5.071 million grizzly bear population: 15000 (estimated) human population density: 13.0 / square mile Alberta: land mass area: 255541 square miles human population: 4.371 million grizzly bear population: 691 human population density: 16.4 / square mile Alaska: land mass area: 663268 square miles human population: 731545 grizzly bear population: 30000 (est.) human population density: 1.26 / square mile Washington State: land mass area: 71362 square miles human population: 7.615 million grizzly bear population: 55-60 (est.) human population density: 103 / square mile
altasnob wrote:
No one has a right to live in wildlife habitat.
Really? Well... the last time i checked, humans have been occupying the area we now call "Washington State" since the Cordilleran Ice Sheet receded about 12,500 years ago. (As I recall, the artifacts found at the mastadon kill site near Sequim were dated back to about 13000 years BP.) So where would you suggest people go? Everywhere humans live currently at some point in the distant past was "wildlife habitat".

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Jul 11, 2020 4:16 pm 
It actually started in the 1980s and kept getting shelved due to funds. Shelved again, and I think they'll have to start over with another costly EIS and public process

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jul 11, 2020 4:46 pm 
kitya wrote:
"...but perhaps before asking it you should have looked up arguments that the proponents of restoration make, instead of dismissing it with jokes about border patrol..."
I'm not the least bit interested in arguments - only verifiable fact. Speculative theories are not fact. But perhaps before arguing, you should have bothered to addressed the questions I've posed above, to which neither of you seem to have answers or are unwilling or unable to address, which I find telling.
Conservation Northwest wrote:
"Grizzly bears are culturally and spiritually significant to..."
I couldn't possibly care less about "culturally" or "spritually" when it comes to issues concerning management of public lands or wildlife. Perhaps in some fairy tale world where unicorns fart fairy dust this might work, but in the real world let's call it what it is: horseshit.
Grizzly bears provide a yardstick with which to gauge the health of our wild lands.
So do anadromous salmonids. Where was Mitch Friedman and Conservation Northwest when the opportunity existed to stop the decimation of the Lake Washington / Lake Sammmamish wild salmon runs at the Hiram M. Chittenden locks? Whose side was he on then?
They spread seeds from plants on which they feed, like huckleberries and in some areas distribute marine or aquatic nutrients from fish including cutthroat trout and salmon.
The huckleberry crops were doing quite well when the native American tribes were burning all up and down the Cascade Crest (between approximately Mount Lassen up in to central British Columbia) between about 3500 years BP up until the early 20th century. The crops were still fairly robust until regeneration harvesting ("clearcutting") was pretty much halted in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Other than huckleberries, birds do a fabulous job of scattering seeds all over the landscape. To wit: Himalaya Blackberry (Rubus discolor), Canada Thistle (Cirsium arvense), Foxglove Digitalis purpurea, and any number of other indigenous and/or non-indigenous species of flora. It is not necessary to have bears in order for plants to propagate.
Their prolific digging for bulbs and burrowing rodents help aerate soils and their defecations help fertilize those areas, particularly in mid and high elevation habitats.
I have no doubt that the incoming wolf populations will do a fine job of digging up burrowing rodents if they get hungry enough, just as coyotes do currently. Again, bears are not required for this objective to be achieved.
We have an ethical and legal obligation to restore this and other native species.
Per the Endangered Species Act, there may be some legal requirements, but that "ethical" part is just some nonsense one of Friedman's writers made up of whole cloth.
Restoring a viable grizzly population would contribute to the biodiversity in the ecosystem to the benefit of human beings and other species.
Where's the supporting evidence for this statement? Saying it's so doesn't necessarily make it true. Evidence = peer-reviewed papers.
"...all the carnivore species known to be native prior to European settlement."
Ahhh... and therein we get to the crux of it: the attempt to restore the entire North American continent to conditions existing in the pre-Columbian era, as though the native American tribes had no sort of significant impact on the landscape or environment. The presumptuousness of that statement is hilarious at best, and its hubris is viscerally offensive.
Although there are grizzly bears in southwest British Columbia, their numbers are depressed because of habitat fragmentation, human development and associated effects on bear security (e.g. poaching, human conflict) and genetic diversity. Because of barriers such as the Fraser River Valley and TransCanada Highway, the North Cascades Ecosystem is not well-connected to grizzly bear populations in the B.C. Coast and Chilcotin Ranges so there are no readily available source bear populations to recolonize the North Cascades naturally.
Well... perhaps Mitch and his compatriots should petition the Provincial Government of British Columbia and tell them to remove that Trans-Canada highway in order to provide a viable migratory corridor for bears. Sounds like a reasonable plan to me. Clearly the issue isn't one necessarily created on this side of the border. Why is it our responsibility to attempt to "fix" it? Feel free to let me know when you can provide some hard data - evidence in the form of peer-reviewed papers - that indicates that the potential benefits gained warrant the costs and consequences involved. Please don't waste my time with more propaganda from Conservation Northwest And do yourself a favor: don't embarrass yourself citing sources (like Conservation Northwest) who employ as part of their arguments for the reintroduction/translocation of grizzly bears (or wolves) nonsensical palaver about "spiritual" significance as though there was even an inkling of something genuine about the pseudo-religious nonsense they're trying to sell. No bears were required for the propagation of this non-indigenous invasive species:
Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea) near Salmon River Queets River Valley 062920 02
Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea) near Salmon River Queets River Valley 062920 02

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jul 11, 2020 6:09 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
It actually started in the 1980s and kept getting shelved due to funds. Shelved again, and I think they'll have to start over with another costly EIS and public process
I do know that it was in the 1990s that a requirement for food to be stored in bear proof containers was put in a few timber sale contracts on the Okanogan. This happened about the time that wildlife biologists were trying to gain support for the bear dumping. Dunno if they still have that in contracts. Nor have I ever seen any great amount of food left lying about on a logging job. Perhaps the bears would rip the doors off the log trucks and steal the Donettes and coffee? The revenge of Yogi? (or would the food be laying about?)

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jul 11, 2020 8:07 pm 
Let's put this one to bed once and for all, since it's a recurrent theme touted by various "environmental" groups concerning reintroduction/translocation of wolves and bears:
"Grizzly bears are culturally and spiritually significant to..."
There was a good reason that Benjamin Franklin replaced a line Thomas Jefferson had written in the Declaration of Independence which Jefferson had originally penned: "... We hold these truths to be sacred... " Franklin replaced it with: "... We hold these truths to be self-evident..." We are, always have been, and will remain, a secular nation (notwithstanding nonsensical gibberish about "under God" or "in God we trust" in the "Pledge of Allegiance" and on our coinage.) The First Amendment guarantees us "freedom of religion", as well as the implicit guarantee that we are free from religion, in all its forms. This includes, but is not limited to, pseudo-religious nonsense attempting to identify with native aboriginal peoples. There is nothing "spiritual" about bears or wolves or porcupines, any more than there's something "spiritual" about this computer I'm typing this message on. They are animals - no more, no less. Barry Goldwater warned us about religious zealots in 1965, and although he was referring to a completely different bunch of kooks, one religious kook isn't any different than another religious kook: they're all kooks. We have enough problems in this country, particularly concerning how our government manages our public lands, without tossing the "kook" element into the mix. Please keep your religion, your "spiritual", or whatever else you want to call it, in your church or synagogue or kiva or whatever sort of place of worship you choose. And yes, I will be wearing a colander on my head when they take my photo for my drivers license, being a card-carrying member of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSun Jul 12, 2020 6:43 am 
I am gonna say it one MORE time. I saw a young male grizzle a short ways downstream from chancellor campground where the tin roof cabin is. date was around 1985 give or take. it had been between the trail and the creek in the berry patch. had it been a more mature animal i think my chances of survival might have been less! fortunetly it left downstream and up the hill as I stood watching!