Forum Index > Trip Reports > Otay Mtn., 06.22.19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 8:18 pm 
This was a CNPS "hike", so it wasn't really a hike. Even less so than usual. Otay Mtn. straddles the border of CA & Mexico, tho for the most part is on the U.S. side. There's a road all the way to the top, & books describe hiking the long narrow dirt rd. all the way up alongside passing 4WDs but that never sounded appealing to me so I'd put off exploring the area. But then this CNPS event came up so I decided to join, as it would be driving up a bit, getting out & looking @ rare plants, driving up a little more & getting out...etc. We met @ Mtn. Hawk Park in Eastlake (strangely enough, this neighborhood is located WEST of Otay Lk. dizzy.gif ), & piled into high clearance vehicles & made our way to the start of the rd. As we crawled up the mtn., we made several stops. Many of my pics turned out crappy since I didn't bring my regular camera - only my phone - but I'll post a few of the ones that came out OK. embarassedlaugh.gif On the way up the mtn.:
At the top, where it was a terrible scene of loud chainsaws & drones flying around:
On the way down...some type of orchid, we were told:

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message