Not bored yet...
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 6:00 am 
Morning Ruth
Morning Ruth
Pano
Pano
View camp
View camp
I am forbidden to enter the North Cascades National Park, but it is only because I almost always travel with my 12 year old border collie/lab Bodhran. He is an old backpacking hand and capable partner; still strong and interested in fresh quiet places. Being a long-time Bellinghamster, the Northernmost Cascades are familiar to me, but this destination and vantage offered new perspective on the neighborhood. From Hannegan Peak, I could peep-in over the National Park fence to that wild and forbidden Range of Glaciers as Becky has called them.
Mt Shuksan
Mt Shuksan
Heather meadow
Heather meadow
Summit sprigs
Summit sprigs
Ruth Mtn
Ruth Mtn
Hike-in day was forecast to be a wet one so I easily dallied about the comforts of home, packing the last as the storms cleared the peaks. The drive east on 542 underscored the wisdom of patience; creeks and rivers that would normally be sleepy and cyan with rock flour were raging brown with the night’s downpour.
Trailside wonders
Trailside wonders
Lounging in the living room
Lounging in the living room
Camp
Camp
Stick hobby
Stick hobby
Time to get up
Time to get up
The evening hike was rain-free and thankfully cool, especially for the last mile that rears up like a wild bronco. A dry carry kept the pack a bit lighter; I drank directly from a few side streams on the way in. The crucial question of snow was answered as the summit came into view. Yes! There was a remnant of winter to sip off of during my stay. Camp was set during last light as clouds broke with promise. Stars dominated by midnight. I was in the right place at the right time.
Blue hour crescent
Blue hour crescent
Hannegan valley
Hannegan valley
Recliner
Recliner
Rear view
Rear view
Heather
Heather
Each day started with the faces of Ruth, Shuksan, and Kulshan shouting morning greetings just outside the tent door. Slopes beyond were plush with pink and white heather. Days were spent exploring the ridgeline in both directions, and mulling the maps of the North Cascades NP. There were plenty of day hikers, but only a couple of other resident groups. I spent time glassing the vast white flanks of Ruth watching climbers seeking the grand summit. Nearby, a pika scampered about gathering and tending to bails of fodder drying in the sun.
Awakening
Awakening
Summit lunch
Summit lunch
View property
View property
Rock hamster
Rock hamster
Ruth
Ruth
Mt Blum in background
Mt Blum in background
Departure day promised to be quite warm so I was on the trail by 8. The upper flanks of Hannegan were spectacular with flowers and views, but the heat soon gathered in the valley miles as predicted. The black flies relentlessly lashed dog and backpacker without pause for the remaining 4 miles back to the truck. A frosty rinse in the becalmed North Fork was precious to man and beast. The quick drive home reminded me of all the wild beauty just an hour away from home. A precious thought indeed.
Trailside beauties
Trailside beauties
Departure trail
Departure trail
Heather lounge
Heather lounge

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 6:03 am 
lyrical and lovely! cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
geyer

geyer
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 11:12 am 
D. Inscho wrote:
View property
View property
eek.gif Wow! I still haven't been up in this neck of the woods during summer but every time I see it, I'm amazed. What a place to stay for a few nights

RAW-dad

RAW-dad
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 6:05 pm 
up.gif up.gif It's been 30 years since camping atop Hannegan, but your beautiful photos bring it all back in spades! Gotta get back up to the N Cascades. Thanks!