Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rampart Lakes, Rampart Ridge, Alta Mountain, Lila Lake 9/12/19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 10:27 pm 
I woke up at 1:20am and left the warmth and comfort of my bed, wondering why I keep doing this to myself. I hit the road not knowing where I was even going yet. I knew the best weather was going to be Snoqualmie Pass and east so I headed that way. By the time I got to North Bend I had decided on Rampart Ridge, a nice easy day in favor of my tweaked ankle. By 4:45 I was hiking. I forgot how steep this trail is, but it felt good to be in shape and not have to suffer much on the way up. I got distracted by some night photography at Lake Lillian and had to quicken my step to make it to my planned destination for sunrise, Rampart Lakes.
Lake Lillian
Lake Lillian
Rocks in the lake
Rocks in the lake
Getting lighter
Getting lighter
First view of Rampart Lakes
First view of Rampart Lakes
I spotted some ledges overlooking the lakes and headed that way but sunrise was coming, and quick! I found a spot and set up my tripod. As I was doing so I noticed the reflection of a pink cloud in the lake which really got me excited. I don't think I've seen anything like that before, it was cool. I took a couple photos and then noticed my camera settings were a little messed up, but by the time I had it set the way I wanted the pink reflection was gone. Fortunately those first shots were good enough. I was hoping for a cool shot of the lakes and I'm pretty happy with this one.
Rampart Lakes just before sunrise
I hung around for half an hour or so taking pictures and soaking in the views. It was a beautiful sunrise! Eventually I packed up and turned to look up the mountain. I knew there was a trail pretty much to the summit, but looking up I spotted a line up through the cliffs and decided to give it a go. There was some fun class 3 and the route went well and soon I was on the summit.
Huckleberry
Huckleberry
Huck again
Huck again
Rampart Ridge
Rampart Ridge
Sunburst
Sunburst
More cloud reflections
More cloud reflections
Lakes
Lakes
Big sticks
Big sticks
Rampart Ridge panorama
Rampart Ridge panorama
My ankle was bothering me, but I still felt good enough I wanted to extend my day so I decided to repeat Alta Mountain. I dropped down in to Rampart Lakes and made my way up the long south ridge of Alta. The berry bushes were bursting with ripe berries and much time was spent picking and eating them, probably somewhere between one and two hours cumulative through the whole trip. They were SO GOOD! There were a couple of young ladies on the summit of Alta when I got there. I passed by and went down to the valley view point for lunch. I stayed maybe 45 minutes before heading back.
Looking out at Rampart Lakes
Looking out at Rampart Lakes
Alta Mountain and Rampart Lakes
Alta Mountain and Rampart Lakes
Satisfying views
Satisfying views
One of the lakes and Hibox
One of the lakes and Hibox
False summit
False summit
Summit
Summit
Alta panorama
Alta panorama
I decided to see if I could pick out a route from the summit down to the Lila Lake basin area since I had never been down there and had wanted to visit there ever since seeing it from Hibox five years ago. I found a route with some class 3/4, but it went. As I was descending I was surprised to run into a solo hiker on his way up. He asked if that was the way to the summit, admitting he was off route. Well, it's 'a way' to the summit I said and explained how I descended and that it involved class 3. He seemed content to give it a go. I hope he made it ok. Lila Lake basin was beautiful. I was glad I made the side trip.
tarn in Lila Lake area
tarn in Lila Lake area
My name is mud
My name is mud
?  dunno, but I like it
? dunno, but I like it
Lila Lake basin
Lila Lake basin
Last lake
Last lake
Trail out
Trail out
After that, it was back to the car back back home. Of course, many more berries found their way into my belly on the way back. Great day in the mountains!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 11:37 pm 
awilsondc wrote:
navy blue from head to toe and rather drab except those patent shoes Purdy sunrise

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed Sep 18, 2019 6:20 am 
awilsondc wrote:
Spectacular! up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
neek

neek
PostWed Sep 18, 2019 7:24 am 
Dude...primus sucks. Epic blueberries indeed. So you didn't see the goat that recently took up residence on Alta? Great sunrise photos...

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Sep 18, 2019 3:44 pm 
That's a really nice shot. Screensaver material for sure.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostWed Sep 18, 2019 8:05 pm 
neek wrote:
Dude...primus sucks.
agree.gif
neek wrote:
So you didn't see the goat that recently took up residence on Alta?
No goat. Too bad, I always like seeing mountain goats.

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostWed Sep 18, 2019 8:23 pm 
There's a foot at the end of each of my legs, is it luck? Thanks for the awesome sunrise photos up.gif

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed Sep 18, 2019 10:16 pm 
Great photos. Thanks for sharing I'll capture these also. Sometimes, only something I appreciate and that's okay
awilsondc wrote:
?  dunno, but I like it
? dunno, but I like it

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostThu Sep 19, 2019 5:34 am 
Who needs sleep when you can get photos like that.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Sep 19, 2019 9:53 am 
I wish I had known there was good weather on the 12th at Sno Pass. Nice work. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostThu Sep 19, 2019 11:04 pm 
Nice work I recently enjoyed 2 nights in that area at a much more leisurely pace.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
gb

gb
PostFri Sep 20, 2019 9:20 am 
Good eye for composition! The Cascades are pretty amazing. But, wow, what a tough summer/fall to find good days.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Sep 20, 2019 12:37 pm 
Hows the brush on the road way going in?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostFri Sep 20, 2019 9:03 pm 
gb wrote:
what a tough summer/fall to find good days
You got that right! I'll take this over forest fires and constantly smoky skies though. I'm grateful for the rain this year.
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Hows the brush on the road way going in?
It was a tight squeeze! Have you ever driven down a busy road lined with trees and there's a tree or trees that have look like a semi trailer has smashed into them enough that they look cut at a perfect right angle? It reminded me of that. Basically driving through a tunnel of brush, and I didn't remember it being that way even 3-4 years ago last time I was up that way. I was ultra careful on the way in and barely grazed any foliage in my Outback, but on the way back I wasn't as attentive and hit my passenger mirror enough to make it collapse partially in but no scratches thank goodness!