Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Sep 26, 2019 9:50 am 
SwitchbackFisher wrote:
The real issue is not the PLB, the issue is dumb people will get themselves in dumb situations. I am not saying that is always the case when help is needed, there are plenty of freak injuries that occur.
https://laughingsquid.com/an-incredible-video-of-a-helicopter-rescuing-a-hiker-stranded-on-a-cliff-above-melakwa-lake-in-washington/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu Sep 26, 2019 11:24 am 
eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif

neek

neek
PostThu Sep 26, 2019 11:49 am 
Yeah I think that one's shown up here before. I wonder if he ever went back for the pack smile.gif

Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostThu Sep 26, 2019 9:43 pm 
neek wrote:
Yeah I think that one's shown up here before. I wonder if he ever went back for the pack smile.gif
I’m baffled on how he got that far down? Or up? I’m still confused...

Windstorm

Windstorm
PostFri Sep 27, 2019 11:10 am 
Noheaperture wrote:
Most likely up because it's generally easier than down. One thing I've been thinking about with that video is perspective. There have been a couple of times recently where I looked at something from above and it looked way worse to go up or even down than it actually was. I'm hoping there's a bit of that going on in the video. It seems pretty clear that going down from that point was going to be a problem, but I'm hoping that getting up to that point was not as vertical as it looks.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostFri Sep 27, 2019 8:08 pm 
What would be going through that guys mind I wonder?

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostFri Sep 27, 2019 8:36 pm 
SwitchbackFisher wrote:
What would be going through that guys mind I wonder?
Him: “I could have swore this was the way to mt si...”

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Sep 27, 2019 11:51 pm 
Noheaperture wrote:
My interpretation from watching the "helmet cam" footage from the rescuer is that he must have been descending. I observed that just below him, there are overhanging sections of rock. Above him the rock is more gentle. I speculate that he was descending, got to that point and realized that he couldn't go any farther down and froze. Also I recall in the dialog the term "cliffed out" was used -- a term typically used for descending problems. Now how he ended up descending via a some route other than his ascent route is another issue. Another part of the story I don't understand is how a rescue was summoned. The guy had a death grip on the rock -- he clearly didn't activate an SOS on his PLB or InReach -- so somebody must have heard his screams or spotted him on the cliff or something else entirely.

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 4:09 pm 
NAS Whidbey SAR airlifts injured hiker in Cascades Friday, October 4, 2019 7:01pm A Search and Rescue team from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island rescued a female hiker in the Cascade Range this past Tuesday. The hiker, who is approximately 57 years old, was suffering from a lower leg injury. The SAR crew was notified at about 5:30 p.m. of a personal locator beacon going off near Mount Buckner in the Cascades at an elevation of approximately 6,500 feet. The SAR crew took off from NAS Whidbey by 6 p.m. and were on site half an hour later, according to a press release. After nearly an hour search, the SAR crew received an updated location, which allowed them to find the hiker quickly. Two SAR crewmembers rappelled down to prepare the patient for transport. At about 7:45 p.m. the patient and crewmembers were hoisted onboard the SAR helicopter, which transported the injured hiker to Skagit Valley Hospital. Naval Air Station Whidbey Island SAR has conducted 35 total missions throughout Washington state this year, including 10 searches, fifteen rescues and 10 medical evacuations.

Celticclimber

Celticclimber
PostTue Oct 08, 2019 6:54 am 
This whole issue of PLD's is such a personal choice thing. Personally. I don't even take my cell with me. I have seen and heard so many times when someone went well beyond what they were capable of because they had 'an out'. As for the fool on the cliff. I,too, wonder how he even thought he could manage that climb: Up or down. He clearly was in over his head from the start. I also feel that, if you can't find your way around in the wilderness. You shouldn't be there. Live every day like you will die to-marrow. For some day that will be true.

Live every day like you will die to-marrow. For some day that will be true.