Forum Index > Trail Talk > CalTopo offers new backroad motor vehicle layer
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Sep 18, 2019 10:49 am 
According to CalTopo:
Quote:
A brand new Motor Vehicle Use Map layer (MVUM) is now live on the site. This incorporates national BLM and USFS data sets to provide a single streamlined layer for offroad drivers and overlanders to utilize. This was a commonly requested layer and we're happy to have it live!
To access it from the Caltopo site, click the top right drop-down item for Base Layers, then select the MVUM layer. There's a little "MVUM info" button where the different road types (e.g., "4WD high clearance only") are defined.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostWed Sep 18, 2019 12:09 pm 
Navy salad wrote:
According to CalTopo:
Quote:
A brand new Motor Vehicle Use Map layer (MVUM) is now live on the site. This incorporates national BLM and USFS data sets to provide a single streamlined layer for offroad drivers and overlanders to utilize. This was a commonly requested layer and we're happy to have it live!
To access it from the Caltopo site, click the top right drop-down item for Base Layers, then select the MVUM layer. There's a little "MVUM info" button where the different road types (e.g., "4WD high clearance only") are defined.
I would be curious if they will eventually include other things like 54 inch minimum and singletrack roads. OHV users seam like they are most often clueless on what trails they can use with their toys.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Sep 18, 2019 12:57 pm 
I've never warmed up to cal topo. Their maps seem to load slower than the other site, including layer switching, and I find the controls kind of clunky. I'm never quite sure what selections I'm making perhaps due to the the lag. It seems to have a lot of features but I always wind up back at the other place. The new layer sounds interesting so I'll go give it another shot

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
ejain

ejain
PostWed Sep 18, 2019 3:11 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
slower than the other site
What other site(s)? In general, web-based services seem too slow for "exploring", but I do use CalTopo to view USFS maps, to print maps, plus there are some useful overlays (like the fire history).

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostWed Sep 18, 2019 4:07 pm 
The MVUM data, as well as related USFS road/trail data, is hosted on the USFS ArcGIS server. Any GIS savvy software can display that data. Here is the standard GISsurfer (I am developer) USFS map centered just south of Snoqualmie Pass. The USFS trail layer is displayed twice (wide yellow then narrower black) so it is easy to see on any basemap. https://mappingsupport.com/p2/gissurfer.php?center=47.379072,-121.429900&zoom=13&basemap=USA_basemap&overlay=Trail_yellow,Trail&txtfile=https://mappingsupport.com/p2/special_maps/recreation/USFS_recreation.txt To turn on the MVUM or any other layer, click the basemap button then look under the "Overlay" heading. (Mobile users scroll down). Click a layer to turn it on and again to turn it off. Remember, on any GISsurfer map the 'top' overlay is clickable and will display all the attribute data the GIS server has for the thing that you clicked. To display a scan of the paper USGS topo map, click the basemap button, select "ESRI scanned topo USA" and zoom in. Feeling lost? Need help? Looking for the legend? Please click "Map tips" in the upper left corner.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Sep 18, 2019 4:51 pm 
Hi Ejain, it's the mappingsupport site hosted by the awesome guy who posted above this^^^^

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Sep 19, 2019 11:03 am 
This is good news for gravel cyclists. I love the ability to see sun exposure and fire history, it helps with route planning.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Sep 19, 2019 11:43 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
I've never warmed up to cal topo. Their maps seem to load slower than the other site, including layer switching, and I find the controls kind of clunky.
I just clocked the time it takes me to open a map and it's actually pretty good (at least in my experience, using a not-particularly-fast PC). The controls are not as intuitive as I would like, but at least they have videos to help users navigate the site better. But I love the way you can build a trail profile (ie distance and elevation grids charted out) with just a few clicks; plus the "extras" mentioned by Cyclopath above.

geyer

geyer
PostThu Sep 19, 2019 12:03 pm 
I'm also a huge fan of the new wire-frame imagery you can get with right click > Point Info > View from here. It's basically like that app a lot of people seem to have. For example, here's the classic view from Picture Lake near artist point.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu Sep 19, 2019 2:30 pm 
geyer wrote:
I'm also a huge fan of the new wire-frame imagery you can get with right click > Point Info > View from here. It's basically like that app a lot of people seem to have. For example, here's the classic view from Picture Lake near artist point.
That is very cool. We were on Thorp earlier this year and wondering what we were looking at.