Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 8:39 am 
RIP Rick Ocasek 1949-2019
NYT Obituary

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 12:36 pm 
back in the dark ages ('78), during high school I went to a concert at the Oakland Colosseum arena, Styx was the headliner, there were 3 opening acts, I only remember one - The Cars. They were freakin great. Rocked the house in an era when opening acts generally got booed off the stage. This was when their first "album" got released, I went out the next day and bought it. I really liked it and Candy-O. I still clearly remember that '78 concert and I've been to 100's of rock shows...only this one time did I really enjoy the opening act - more than the headliner. Early "new wave" style rock and roll.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 1:06 pm 
I can't recall a song by The Cars I didn't like. They put out a lot of good music. Heard "Magic" the other day on a commercial and it struck me that it still sounded current. RIP.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 2:00 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
back in the dark ages ('78), during high school I went to a concert at the Oakland Colosseum arena, Styx was the headliner, there were 3 opening acts, I only remember one - The Cars.
It is amazing what you can find on the internet these days. It is even more amazing what some people might be inspired to google. I have lots to do today so I needed some distraction and I thought it might be fun to try and jog your memory. The Styx fan site that lists all of their gigs showed two openers. One was The Cars, of course, the other was the band that released this album that year:
From the looks of it, there is a good chance you may have blocked your memory of that gig as a defense response. I never got to see The Cars live. But we did think they were going to be the next Beetles as we listened to their first album over and over.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 3:52 pm 
Brian Curtis wrote:
blocked your memory of that gig as a defense response.
ouch! Now I remember, the keyboard player had a "guitar" keyboard so he could sling it over his shoulder and run back and forth across the stage like an idiot - why should guitarists have all the fun...I'm pretty sure we booed the crap out of them...not that Styx was any better. I think it was their "Great White Hope" album, Pieces of 8. A young lady I knew was very into Styx... I knew another young lady back then who was over the top obsessed with The Cars...she thought Candy-O was the sign of the second coming. I did spend an evening listening to that album over and over and over again - but no religious experience for me. I saw just about every and anyone in concert back then. Then I stumbled upon the greatest concert band of all time, and followed them around the country for a few years (15). Always a different show, night after night. And they never had an opening act.
I like musicians who pay attention to playing instead of hanging from the speaker stacks showing off their pocket pickles.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 3:58 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
in an era when opening acts generally got booed off the stage
I've definitely wanted to boo several opening acts I've heard in recent years. Didn't figure it was generally accepted etiquette. When I first started going to concerts regularly 20+ years ago the openers used to be legit. Now it's mostly absolute nobodies w/ questionable talent. I wish they would skip the opening act most of the time. What really kills me is when they pick up a good opener for a different part of the tour either before or after I see a show, but the opener I get stuck with is crap.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 5:19 pm 
SOMEHOW a guy that looked like that was able to marry the most beautiful woman on the planet! LOL..

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 5:23 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
SOMEHOW a guy that looked like that was able to marry the most beautiful woman on the planet! LOL..
That's why everybody wants to be a rock star.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 8:48 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Backpacker Joe wrote:
That's why everybody wants to be a rock star.
up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 10:11 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
coldrain108 wrote:
in an era when opening acts generally got booed off the stage
What really kills me is when they pick up a good opener for a different part of the tour either before or after I see a show, but the opener I get stuck with is crap.
Best opener I saw was Cracker, opening for The Cranberries in Hartford, CT in '95 or so: "Hi y'all, we're Cracker", and they just "hit it"! Much better than the Cranberries.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 7:59 am 
RIP Rick. Many great memories listening to the Cars when I was young, sitting over a heat vent in the living room drooling over ski area trail maps in anticipation of the pending season.
moonspots wrote:
Best opener I saw was
Saw Blind Mellon and Pearl Jam open for Neil Young. Not a bad set of opening acts.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 8:03 am 
coldrain108 wrote:
I knew another young lady back then who was over the top obsessed with The Cars...she thought Candy-O was the sign of the second coming. I did spend an evening listening to that album over and over and over again - but no religious experience for me.
That is funny. I thought Candy-O was weak and never listened to it much.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 8:33 am 
Tom wrote:
I can't recall a song by The Cars I didn't like.
I can't recall a song by The Cars. confused.gif They must have been in vogue during one of my overseas stints. There are lots of gaps like that in my awareness of popular culture.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
RichP

RichP
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 8:46 am 
Still miss Benjamin Orr. Ocasek said when he wrote something that required a real singer, Ben was put to the task. RIP to them both.

Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 8:56 am 
I saw The Cars at Fairfield University in the early 80's. Spectacular RIP Rick I was kinda spoiled living in NE Jersey where there were so many venues for rock shows. Madison Square Garden, Capitol Theater, Academy of Music, Filmore East, are just a few. Edgar Winter opening for J. Geils Band at the Capitol Theater. 5th row center $5. Those were the days. Probably the best 2 opening acts were: Fluorescent, Leech, and Eddy opening for Alice Cooper at MSG. (Flourescent, Leech and Eddy were The Turtles from the 60's) and Black Oak Arkansas opening for Mountain at the Academy of Music in NYC. We all wondered who the HELL are these guys. Unbelievable surprise!!!

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu