Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fallen hiker awakens from coma
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ravenridge22

Ravenridge22
PostWed Sep 25, 2019 5:13 pm 
QUILCENE — A hiker who fell near Lake Constance remains in critical condition in the intensive care unit at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, a hospital spokesperson said. Aaron Brengle, 33, of Bellevue was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center on Saturday night by a search and rescue team from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island. Brengle had fallen down a slope earlier in the afternoon near Lake Constance, southwest of Quilcene. https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/news/injured-hiker-remains-in-critical-condition-after-fall-near-quilcene/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Sep 25, 2019 6:40 pm 
Yep, that is an extremely steep slope. It's not even a real trail, just straight up the mountainside. Sending out good thoughts to Aaron Brengle! Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
pipedream

pipedream
PostThu Sep 26, 2019 4:54 pm 
The post about this on the not-to-be-named Facebook page is very intense but I definitely recommend giving it a read

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Sep 26, 2019 6:57 pm 
My understanding is he remains unconscious, though they plan to do extensive surgery on him. Sending more good thoughts Aaron's way. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Sep 26, 2019 7:11 pm 
Such a bizarre accident. I'm not sure why we can't name Washington Hikers & Climbers...? The description given there is that he leaned against a large tree which then suddenly slid down the slope, roots & all, and took him with it. 15' drop to rock face below, 10' slide down rock face. He's damned lucky to be alive. No mistakes made, just a random, totally unexpected occurrence. Really hoping he pulls through and is able to make a full recovery.

contour5

contour5
PostThu Sep 26, 2019 7:29 pm 
Sending healing vibes. Get well, hiker! There are 10,000 ways to die in the mountains. Watch. Every. Step.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Sep 28, 2019 8:50 am 
Being injured myself, but much less so, my heart goes out to the guy.
Bedivere wrote:
I'm not sure why we can't name Washington Hikers & Climbers...?
Just don't say it in front of the mirror three times in the dark! 👹

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Sep 28, 2019 9:12 pm 
Monday September 23, 2019 17:52 PDT Olympic National Park News Release Two Search and Rescue Incidents Over the Weekend Back-to-back search and rescue (SAR) incidents occurred in Olympic National Park over the weekend. Visitors are urged to plan ahead, hike smart, pack the Ten Essentials, and have an emergency plan even for a day hike. Hiking is a popular activity through the fall and visitors are reminded to be prepared for changing weather conditions that can also affect rescue efforts. Consider learning CPR and basic wilderness first aid, especially if you are planning to hike in the backcountry. Late on the evening of Thursday, September 19, Olympic National Park received information from Peninsula Communications (PenCom) regarding a missing 40-year-old male from Neah Bay. The missing person was reported as last seen five days prior after being dropped off at the Little River Trailhead on Little River Road in Port Angeles. Little River Trail is 8.0 miles one way and gains over 4,000 feet in elevation as it climbs to Hurricane Ridge. It was reported that the man had intended to take a day hike up Little River Trail and down the Hurricane Hill to Elwha Trail. Two hasty teams composed of park staff were sent to Hurricane Ridge early the next morning on September 20, one to search the Hurricane Hill Trail down to the Elwha and the other team to search down the Little River Trail. The missing hiker was located that morning down a ravine approximately 200 yards from the trail and was suffering from exposure-related medical issues. The hiker lacked the Ten Essentials and only had a pocket knife with him. A total of 25 people were involved in the entire search and rescue operation with a team of twenty people performing the litter carryout. The rescue team worked for six hours to conduct the 4.5 mile litter carryout due to the difficult terrain. The patient was transported to Olympic Medical Center for medical evaluation and treatment. Park staff coordinated with Port Angeles Police Department and were assisted by Clallam County Search and Rescue and Olympic Mountain Rescue, a volunteer search and rescue organization that frequently partners with the park and is dedicated to saving lives through rescue and mountain safety education. On Saturday evening, Jefferson County Communications Center (JeffCom) received a 911 call requesting medical aid for an injured hiker. The hiking partner reported an adult male from the Seattle area had sustained traumatic injuries after a fall while hiking near Lake Constance in the Daniel J. Evans Wilderness. A U.S. Navy helicopter team was requested to perform the rescue. Late Saturday evening the weather prevented the U.S. Navy helicopter from reaching the patient directly, but was able to put a crew member and a medic on the ground at Lake Constance to reach the patient on foot. Around 10:30 pm, the clouds broke and the helicopter rescue crew hoisted the patient. The patient was transported in critical condition to Harborview Medical Center at 11:30pm. Jefferson Search and Rescue and Olympic Mountain Rescue were involved in the operation on the ground. The hikers were both experienced and well-equipped for their excursion. The National Park Service partners and trains with the U.S. Navy and Coast Guard to perform helicopter rescues in Olympic. The total number of SAR incidents in Olympic National Park for 2019 is 77. For information about planning ahead and staying safe while visiting and hiking in national parks visit https://www.nps.gov/subjects/trails/hiking-safety.htm. For information on planning a backpacking trip in Olympic National Park check out the Wilderness Trip Planner guide at https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/wilderness-trip-planner.htm. --NPS--

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Sep 29, 2019 1:13 pm 
Best wishes to Mr. Brengle for a speedy recovery. What a bizarre accident...made me reflect on all the times I went up there alone when the route was much less traveled, and I'd deliberately go on weekdays to maximize solitude potential. I thought perhaps this hiker had leaned or pulled on a tree damaged in the fire, but looking at the last photo from his camera that his partner put up on the FB site, they were in the really steep area where you have to use your hands/tree roots, etc. I don't believe the fire got up that high. That photo, plus a few others I've seen online of the trail suggest that some of the route is slightly altered from what I recall from the late 80's & mid 90's. There was one spot where the trail meets the creek (past the level part of the trail) where you had to either go into the creek, or do what amounted to a scary traverse across a "bulge". Does anyone remember that? The last time I was up there (alone again, naturally), I biked to the TH and then started up just as it began raining. There was so much deadfall on the lower trail, and it was getting slick, and I thought, "Hmmm, more prudent to turn around." Definitely not the best solo hike any more. frown.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Ravenridge22

Ravenridge22
PostWed Oct 09, 2019 5:53 pm 
Fallen hiker awakens from coma Man has traumatic brain injury, fiancee says PORT TOWNSEND — A hiker who fell more than 15 feet off a trail near Lake Constance last month has regained consciousness following more than a week in a coma, but he’s suffering from a traumatic brain injury and has a long road to recovery, his fiancee said. Aaron Brengle, 33, of Bellevue remains at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, where doctors have performed two surgeries since Sept. 21 to address a broken wrist and a fractured orbital bone, his fiancee Caitlin Ford said Monday. Brengle also has a broken shoulder blade, four broken ribs and three fractured vertebrae, Ford said. https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/news/fallen-hiker-awakens-from-coma/

gb

gb
PostWed Oct 09, 2019 6:00 pm 
Well, I wish him good luck and hope is recovery is relatively quick and complete in time.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostWed Oct 09, 2019 6:35 pm 
Hopefully his recovery is quicker from now on. Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Oct 09, 2019 6:46 pm 
Great news. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
nordique

nordique
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 8:47 am 
What happened to you? Enough of an injury to keep you from hiking?