Forum Index > Trail Talk > PCT hikers at risk this weekend due to lack of information and winter gear
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostFri Sep 27, 2019 10:21 am 
Perhaps some parallels to a phenomenon noticed at the Grand Canyon. Highly experienced backpackers (experienced in other, non desert, non Grand Canyon, venues) or athletic individuals arriving, having a quick talk with a ranger on the rim and either misunderstanding a vital point, or somehow discounting it's importance (and over calculating their own competence in that environment). Or not talking with a ranger, or local, at all. I hear these stories from the rangers and had one memorable first hand experience. I encountered a half dozen members of a British military hiking club who said a ranger told them they could pick up water at Cremation Creek. That it was reliable. Truth is pretty much the opposite. It may run for a few hours after a storm, and there can be remnant rain pockets deep in the shadows in winter but no, not a reliable water source.

Off trail rambler
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Sep 27, 2019 10:57 am 
thunderhead wrote:
I would have thought in this day and age the unforgiving nature of the north cascades and their early winters would be well documented. Late September snow is not exactly a rare event, and cold prolonged rains are routine.
I hesitate to label it as "lazy", but I don't know what term to use. I can only compare my past experiences to what I see online with people today. I and most others I knew would scour the guide books and expected weather conditions, etc. But seemingly many peope today do not do any research themselves. They simply ask vague general questions of others. Stuff like "micro spikes or crampons ... go!" Another is like "what's everyone using for rain gear?" I generally don't try to answer questions like that because they are too broad. And often when you get to asking them questions, it becomes evident they have never spent a night out in the woods. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
contour5

contour5
PostFri Sep 27, 2019 11:12 am 
Quote:
It is time for TAs to back off and force the hikers to hike-their-own-hike.
This sounds good, in theory. But it may prove difficult to implement, in practice. What if the hikers refused to disclose their itineraries? How can we tell if they are northbound or southbound? Should we just choose a random direction and shove them back out on the trail? And if bird shot and cattle prods do manage to force them back onto the trail, won’t they just slink off to the next free loader Haven? What then? We will be forced to shadow them from party spot to party spot, putting ourselves in great peril of falling victim to the hoser lifestyle. Helicopters may provide the solution. We already have choppers in the air running missions 24/7 transporting goats back and forth. It would be a simple matter to make an extra stop; strap on the loafers and the recidivists and dump them all out high on a glacier somewhere further along the route. So, it’s not hopeless. We have ways of making them hike.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Sep 27, 2019 11:23 am 
contour5 wrote:
Quote:
It is time for TAs to back off and force the hikers to hike-their-own-hike.
This sounds good, in theory. But it may prove difficult to implement, in practice.
Nah! We just encourage them over and over "you got this!" Of course we do so in the most warm and comforting tone. *bighikeyourownhikegrins* Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Sep 27, 2019 11:27 am 
I'm not sure if its lazy or brainwashed into thinking that, like with little league baseball, winning and losing are one and the same...the participation trophy philosophy. That might be true for 6 year olds playing baseball (but even they know its a lie and that their parents are full of dookie), but out in the wilderness there is a HUGE difference. Desire is the only prerequisite, not fitness, not skill, not experience, just the desire to go for it! and anyone who says otherwise is a HATER!!!!

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
jared_j

jared_j
PostFri Sep 27, 2019 12:13 pm 
You Instgramming PCTers get off my lawn!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Sep 27, 2019 7:03 pm 
It's really coming down right now. Best of luck to those braving the elements.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostFri Sep 27, 2019 8:36 pm 
I ran into a thru hiker above Three Lakes (south of Chinook Pass) last weekend who noted that he thought he'd be done in 10-12 days but also noted that there were quite a few folks behind him. They were all behind because they chose not to flip so the Sierras slowed them down. I impressed upon him multiple times that if it snows, you're done, and explained the many reasons why. When hw tried to argue, I sai "Yes, I know, but these are MY mountains. I know these mountains. And winter is just about here." He did know about the snow in the forecast. So... I guess we do the best we can to inform them when we run into then and dissuade them from doing something stupid.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostFri Sep 27, 2019 9:03 pm 
Gwen wrote:
I ran into a thru hiker above Three Lakes (south of Chinook Pass) last weekend who noted that he thought he'd be done in 10-12 days but also noted that there were quite a few folks behind him. They were all behind because they chose not to flip so the Sierras slowed them down. I impressed upon him multiple times that if it snows, you're done, and explained the many reasons why. When hw tried to argue, I sai "Yes, I know, but these are MY mountains. I know these mountains. And winter is just about here." He did know about the snow in the forecast. So... I guess we do the best we can to inform them when we run into then and dissuade them from doing something stupid.
Not your mountains. You have no more ownership to them than someone who lives and has never left Hawaii. Also if that's really the way you said it I would recommend you reconsider your approach, your message was probably drowned out by your tone by the sound of it.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostFri Sep 27, 2019 9:08 pm 
MY did not mean ownership, and that was understood. And if anyone else here were to claim them as theirs, I would not assume they meant ownership either. Some people are so touchy.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostFri Sep 27, 2019 9:11 pm 
Not touchy just pointing out if I had been in the thru hikers shoes I would be more annoyed by anyone who said that than inclined to listen to them. 🤣

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostFri Sep 27, 2019 9:12 pm 
I think not if you had been a part of the whole conversation. But you're welcome to you opinion.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostFri Sep 27, 2019 9:23 pm 
That is a fair assessment. Also to be fair it bothers me when people state they are part of something they are not, for an example if a Seahawks fan said "I can't believe we released Sherman." Your obviously correct I was not there for the conversation and was just drawing a conclusion based on the way the text read to me. I probably unfairly criticized you for it.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Sep 27, 2019 10:25 pm 
I don't think unprepared homers is a new phenomenon. Did anybody see Wild?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Sep 27, 2019 10:26 pm 
Tom wrote:
It's really coming down right now. Best of luck to those braving the elements.
I got soaked to the core walking a block from the gym to my car. There has been a lot of sun today. It was a cold rain.