Forum Index > Trail Talk > PCT hikers at risk this weekend due to lack of information and winter gear
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Sep 30, 2019 12:12 pm 
Well if he'd been able to push a few buttons to get to the screen for reading an incoming message, he'd likely have at least known when SAR expected to arrive and how.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Sep 30, 2019 1:56 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
After finishing a dayhike, I picked up three more thru hikers at the Pass about 9pm who were trying to get a ride to Hiker Haven in Baring. They were shocked when I warned them about the weather change. They knew nothing of it and like the hiker I picked up in the morning, were really worried about their friends who had already started north. One in the group had only a single wall summer tent, and another didn’t even have gloves! I told them the story about Katarina and they began to consider other options than continuing on the PCT. I had a nice visit with Jerry Dinsmore when I dropped them off and I think between the two of us we convinced them to wait until the weather improves. However, there are still a lot of thru hikers out there trying to finish their trip, so if anyone runs across them in the next day or two, ask them if they are aware of the changing weather!
So to bring this discussion back around to the original post, the question remains what to do about hikers who may not be adequately prepared for bad weather here in WA as the fall season progresses? As I have mentioned in another post in this thread, I participate in PCT discussion groups. And frankly some of the so called advice is outright hysteria while much of the rest is condescending and brow beating towards the PCT thru-hikers. And to be fair, a few of the hikers are woefully prepared and some just lack good sense. Anyway, I see this problem only getting worse with no workable solution assuring no hikers are not going to get them selves into serious trouble due to lack of preparation or whatever. We are due to see hikers arrive in greater numbers later in the thru-hiking season here. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Sep 30, 2019 2:10 pm 
I was in Winthrop this morning. There were 6 to 8 folks with packs hitchhiking to the west. I assume they may be thru hikers. I laughed and thought about giving them a ride as far as I was going, maybe a 300 yards or so up the road. Saw a couple start walking west and videoing their hike along hwy 20.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Sep 30, 2019 2:20 pm 
Spent the weekend camping at White River Campground. Saturday went to Glacier Basin snowing hard as we headed up trail about 6” on the ground at the basin when we left. Saturday night left 4” on ground at campground. Sunday took trail to Sunrise 8-10” above 6000’ cold. Met a couple hikers who had spent night in Fremont lookout they said it was exciting with high winds and heavy snow. This morning saw someone headed up trail to Sunrise with skis. Round to Sunrise closed Friday to Tuesday at least an inch of ice in Sunrise parking lot. Gawd some of you people are pigs.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostMon Sep 30, 2019 7:48 pm 
Two PCT hikers rescued in Glacier Peak wilderness this weekend. https://www.heraldnet.com/news/2-hikers-saved-in-separate-rescues-west-of-glacier-peak/

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Oct 01, 2019 9:02 am 
Another moderate storm is aimed at the higher north cascades with snow above 5-6k starting tomorrow night. Its not particularly bad by high mountain standards, with maybe 20kt winds and 1-2 feet of snow at some of the higher portions of the trail but it wont play nice with light summer gear.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Oct 01, 2019 11:29 am 
thunderhead wrote:
Another moderate storm is aimed at the higher north cascades with snow above 5-6k starting tomorrow night. Its not particularly bad by high mountain standards, with maybe 20kt winds and 1-2 feet of snow at some of the higher portions of the trail but it wont play nice with light summer gear.
Most of the forecasts I have seen indicate snow showers rather than widespead snow. Also temperatures are not expected to drop as low as in this last event. I noticed some thru hikers that turned back did not have long pants. One was actually in like running shorts with bare legs. I would not advise that. I would use long pants combined they long gaiters an waterproof rain pants in this stuff. Also I would slow my pace so as not to sweat too much. Typically in good conditions it would only take three+ days to get from Rainy pass to Manning Park. But in these conditions ya just have to slow down so add a day or little more to that. Again, good layers, good rain gear, and good shelter should be sufficient in these conditions. Maybe take along microspikes in case of icy spots. Snotel reports 3" of snow at Hart's Pass with a temperature of 34 at 10am today. So the snow consolidayed a little from the 6" reported yesterday. I did notice there were some thru-hikers getting through to the Monument during this snow event. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Oct 01, 2019 12:32 pm 
Ya the latest round of wx models that just finished dried out the system a bit. 8 to 12 inches above 6000 Thursday-Friday now looks more likely for the north cascades. Getting pretty tame by north cascades standards.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostTue Oct 01, 2019 12:54 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
I noticed some thru hikers that turned back did not have long pants. One was actually in like running shorts with bare legs. I would not advise that. I would use long pants combined they long gaiters an waterproof rain pants in this stuff.
Layering is different for different people. I can generate enough heat that wearing light, quick drying clothes and not worrying about sweating works pretty well for me as long as it's not terribly windy. I just have to be ready to add a warm layer if I stop moving before I get cold.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Oct 02, 2019 5:44 pm 
Looks like several people hiked through and finished at Monument 78 the last few days. Rumi

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostTue Oct 08, 2019 12:57 pm 
There is a post on PCT 2019 page by a thru hiker whi is currently at Goat Rocks and has 350 miles to go to Canada with no plans to abort his trip despite several people warning him.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Oct 08, 2019 1:13 pm 
I have friends on the CDT who just passed Rogers Pass in MT...they are pushing through. They have some support from family and now have snowshoes for the last leg.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Oct 08, 2019 1:50 pm 
I saw more than a dozen thru-hikers on the PCT near Harts Pass on Sunday. There was a USFS ranger sitting on a log warning hikers as they went by about the weather forecast.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Oct 08, 2019 2:37 pm 
It's really cold out today. Every time I've got in my car it turns on the heated seats and steering wheel and it's a cold rain on top of that when it's coming down. That said weather forecast is looking good later this week in terms of keeping dry.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Oct 08, 2019 3:23 pm 
Tom wrote:
That said weather forecast is looking good later this week in terms of keeping dry.
Exactly! The weather pattern is brief periods of cold/snow/rain, then improving weather. It is a good idea to keep an eye on the forecast, but the weather is not yet severe in my estimation. YMMV Likely most hikers ill-equiped and unexperienced have already got off the trail. Those remaining have addapted. Rumi