Forum Index > Trail Talk > PCT hikers at risk this weekend due to lack of information and winter gear
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 6:55 am 
Except for the snow that is on the ground, there is not any snow accumulation in the forecast for the next few days in the North Cascades. There is rain and some wind mixed into it all. The snow depth at Harts Pass SNOTEL went from 16" two days ago to 10" now. It is wickedly unpleasant out there. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 7:00 am 
RumiDude wrote:
HYOH should also inclide the ideal of self reliance instead of relying on so called trail angels. Self reliance includes financial, strategy/planning, gear, skills, knowledge of the trail. Yet so often self reliance is downplayed, even mocked at times. "The trail provides" is the operating mantra. Need to rest for a few days. The thought of camping at a campground seems almost repugnant. Instead go the the trail angels FB page and see if someone will feed and bed you for that time. Gonna do a week of whitewater rafting with your brother and cousin in NC? Get a trail angel to take you to pick you up and take you to LA, Reno, or whatever airport is convenient and do the reverserse when you return. Run out of money? Tell your sad story on the FB group pages and people will donate money. Don't get me wrong, this is not the norm, but it happens more than you might think. Thus Cartographer's suggestion that REI might give gear for thru-hikers to use here in Washington for when the weather turns wintery. Rumi
Some "trail angels" might really enjoy picking up or putting up thru hikers. For lots of reasons. So what? Nobody forces them to do it. Some people are also really attached to thru hikers and their success. If someone wants to give time, money, energy, things... so what? Its theirs to give. If someone wants to ask for assistance? So what. Nobody is forced to donate time, money or gear. Why are we all so judgy?

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 8:01 am 
Rumi, do you think the group leaving Stevens today has a good chance of getting to the terminus? Weather looks good for a week.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 9:07 am 
It's still going to be cold with daytime highs in the mid to upper 30s and overnight lows in mid to high 20s. Throw in rain and snow flurries along with the temps can either make for brisk hiking or slow hiking. That will mean icy tread each morning, which will slow them down. I think a week from Steven's is ambitious even in the summer. That section between Steven's and Rainy is a real butt kicker and should not be underestimated. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 9:37 am 
Hope they have crampons and nice sleeping bags.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 9:46 am 
RumiDude wrote:
Yet so often self reliance is downplayed, even mocked at times. "The trail provides" is the operating mantra...
I agree with the diminishing of self-reliance. It is counter to the purpose of wilderness and the PCT (yes, I know the entirety of the PCT is not within wilderness). It is disappointing when you think about the PCT becoming like the party atmosphere of certain parts of the AT. But it can’t be stopped. We could require thru hikers to read the writings of John Muir, George Perkins Marsh, and Bob Marshall before issuing a through hike permit. And while we’re at it, require thru hikers to watch a film on the history of the Wilderness Act and the PCT before issuing their permit so they know the intent. * They can show up from overseas 2 days in advance: one day for volunteering, and one to watch films. They can bring a note from their librarian about reading books, and to check that Thoreau’s Walden isn’t on their reading list, because he was a mooch. *apologies to Kiliki for my parody of her idea about a volunteer requirement, which, while I don’t currently agree is feasible, is a thoughtful and reasonable stab at solving the problem, unlike my idea of tearing my hair and gnashing my teeth.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
neek

neek
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 10:30 am 
On the subject of self-reliance--hasn't hitchhiking to town for resupply always been part of PCT culture? Not to mention reliance on infrastructure (e.g. the trail itself), artifacts (gear, food, etc.) and more abstract things (freedom, protection, knowledge) that countless others have worked hard and in many cases sacrificed their lives to bring us, and without which the very concept of hiking the PCT wouldn't exist. You can dismiss this as extreme but I do think the line is arbitrary and in fact full self-reliance isn't even a real thing, for show me a human who can survive indefinitely when dropped naked into a lonely wilderness, and if you do happen to find one, then show me a newborn who can do the same (even one raised by wolves still had some help). And yet clearly you need some sort of real-world competence to complete a thru-hike. But how is working for a corporation to earn the cash to buy the gear and the idle time to train, for example, all that different from figuring out how to trick someone into giving you something (e.g. shelter or transportation) that you need? We have this imaginary concept of self-reliance when we in fact are inescapably social animals, and then pass judgment when someone crosses our arbitrary lines, perhaps evoking the concept of equally arbitrary social norms as justification. In an online forum it's all downhill from there--or maybe the inevitable disrespectful tones and hurt feelings are just part of the game that ultimately drives it all forward, I don't know. There are certain things I would want out of a PCT (or any) experience, and of course I'm going to argue in a way that guides people toward facilitating that experience. Let's hope my wants and ways of getting them are sufficiently compatible with everyone else's.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 11:51 am 
Hitchhiking, obtaining clarifying information from fellow hikers, use of apps, maps, and GPS, etc. still require some skill to plan ahead, and know what the heck you’re doing and where you are. We could probably get down to the molecular level about self-reliance, but actually, the over-the-top examples are meant to show that perhaps someday, there may be so much hand-holding to the point that people lose the skill and necessity to plan, and the loss of the ability to reason and work through a situation where suffering is necessary to get through. Embrace the suffer. tongue.gif So do people with no skills have a right to through hike? You bet they do. But the willful loss of skills is (and this is the point) can diminish the PCT experience by the implementation of more Rules, more Regs, more Fees, more Requirements in order to obtain a permit, etc.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 12:38 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Some people are also really attached to thru hikers and their success. If someone wants to give time, money, energy, things... so what? Its theirs to give.
First off, trail angels have changed the PCT experience, and not in a good way. There isn't a cabal of trail angels secretly meeting, scheming ways to negatively change the PCT experience for the thru-hikers. Instead most are doing what they think is good and helpful. They are unable and in many cases unwilling to see their overall negative impact on thru-hikers. I have said this before and repeat now, one way to assure that a thru-hiker will be coming into Washington late in the hiking season is time off the trail. And that is exactly one of the biggest issues with trail angels, they encourage and facilitate time off trail. They also subtlely make thru-hikers dependent on them through the goods and sevices they provide. It's hard to resist "free" stuff. And let's be clear about this, none of this supposed "trail magic" is needed, not the food, the water caches, the rides, the couch surfing, none of it. This is doubly true as towns have adapted to larger PCT influx with their own goods and services. The PCT is for hikers, not trail angels. Let the hikers make their own hike not serve as story-tellers for the trail angels. I always advise those asking about how to become a trail angel to plug themselves into a PCTA Trail Crew. Get out there with a grub hoe and loppers and make the tral better. You will make lifelong friends and generally meet some grateful PCT hikers while doing the work. I look at what has happened to Mt Everest with all the guiding companies. It has come to the point now that a climber is required to have a Sherpa guide. It makes Reinhold Messner's epic 1980 solo climb of Everest all the more special and impossible today. Rumi

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 1:48 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
First off, trail angels have changed the PCT experience, and not in a good way. ...
Preach! Your post sums it up nicely, RumiDude. You make some very good points. ~z

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 2:26 pm 
You guys are pretty far off about a Trail Angeles. We have done the JMT, Yosemite to Tahoe, and Bend to Hood sections of the PCT over 600 mi. During that period we saw one Trail Angel who gave us a Shasta cola at Sisters Pass that was it. While we appreciated it I do not believe we expected it.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 3:15 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
You guys are pretty far off about a Trail Angeles.
Are you a member of the PCT Class groups on FB? I don't see how anyone could read the feeds on those groups and say otherwise about trail angels. I did the PCT from Ashland to Cascade Locks and only came across three on-the-trail bits of trail magic. I passed by one, not bothering to stop. The other two I did partake of. One of them was at a campground I had planned to camp at anyway, so no big deal. The other was right before the big climb to Timberline Lodge and I kinda regretted the time spent. I will tell you how ridiculous some supposed trail magic is. Just after I arrived at Cascade Locks, some people announced on the PCT Class of 2019 group that they were going to do "trail magic" in Cascade Locks. They had just resupplied their son and due to the overflowing love they had for thru-hikers they were going to offer up resupply food for hikers right at the spot where the trail dumps out into town! They told hikers not to bother going to the store, they would resupply them with stuff they brought from PDX. Plus they were going to cook hot dogs, hamburgers with all the trimmings, including beer and soda. They planned to be there the entire weekend and would serve breakfast also. Two reasons that was a VERY BAD decision: #1 Cascade Locks is a hiker friendly town. There is no shortage of goods and services there. #2 (Probably most important) Cascade Locks has struggled to remain economically viable. That is one reason they have embraced PCT hikers. They deserve the business from the hikers. Now these "trail angels" had no ill intent, but what they did was a slap in the face to Cascade Locks and offered "help" where no help was needed. Stupid idea, IMO. Rumi

markweth

markweth
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 3:35 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
First off, trail angels have changed the PCT experience, and not in a good way. There isn't a cabal of trail angels secretly meeting, scheming ways to negatively change the PCT experience for the thru-hikers. Instead most are doing what they think is good and helpful. They are unable and in many cases unwilling to see their overall negative impact on thru-hikers. I have said this before and repeat now, one way to assure that a thru-hiker will be coming into Washington late in the hiking season is time off the trail. And that is exactly one of the biggest issues with trail angels, they encourage and facilitate time off trail. They also subtlely make thru-hikers dependent on them through the goods and sevices they provide. It's hard to resist "free" stuff. And let's be clear about this, none of this supposed "trail magic" is needed, not the food, the water caches, the rides, the couch surfing, none of it. This is doubly true as towns have adapted to larger PCT influx with their own goods and services. The PCT is for hikers, not trail angels. Let the hikers make their own hike not serve as story-tellers for the trail angels. I always advise those asking about how to become a trail angel to plug themselves into a PCTA Trail Crew. Get out there with a grub hoe and loppers and make the tral better. You will make lifelong friends and generally meet some grateful PCT hikers while doing the work. I look at what has happened to Mt Everest with all the guiding companies. It has come to the point now that a climber is required to have a Sherpa guide. It makes Reinhold Messner's epic 1980 solo climb of Everest all the more special and impossible today. Rumi
I couldn't agree more with you. I think you hit the nail on the head with this one. Trail angels on the PCT and AT (hasn't been as much of an issue on the CDT, which is only an hours drive from where I live) are turning into a classic example of "the road (trail?) to hell is paved (brushed out?) with good intentions".

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 4:57 pm 
We are members of the PCT Association and I still subscribe to the JMT and Yosemite to Tahoe FB groups. I do not read much about TAs in either. Both of those are quite far from town and have a few well established commercial resupply points. A prominent NW Hiker friend recently did the PCT from Mexico to Carson Pass blogging all the way. They did not seem to complain about TAs. I realize there was some abuse in CA and the PCTA put a stop to it. I notice that next year yo-young will not be allowed which could be a problem if there is another big snow year.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 7:13 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
Pahoehoe wrote:
Some people are also really attached to thru hikers and their success. If someone wants to give time, money, energy, things... so what? Its theirs to give.
What do you propose? Banning trail angels? Nobody is forced to partake in any of it. Say no. Hike your own hike. Have a burger. Hike your own hike... I do not see the comparision of everest paid guide companies and PCT volunteers giving things away for free.