Forum Index > Trail Talk > PCT hikers at risk this weekend due to lack of information and winter gear
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSun Sep 29, 2019 2:12 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
This isnt really a thing to use to judge someones competency
Nancy described their state of preparedness, you turned it into a statement about competency. Thru hikers are advised that single wall "tarp tents" are adequate and even preferable, but everything gets wet if it rains and the wind blows the single wall against your stuff. It is a calculated risk that is no longer in season. Not sure what you are talking about in terms of mountaineering tents, but you wouldn't take a PCT tarp tent - basically a fly with no tent inside - into a snow zone if you have any experience.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Sep 29, 2019 2:13 pm 
Discovered a place I'd missed where the mice had been during their foray into my house. They had been inside drawers where I threw various paperwork. While cleaning it out, I saw the photos of the snowstorm in Horseshoe Basin in August of 1990 something. Even though the Spokane TV weather guy said we were in for a major change--the weather had hit the 100s during the week, we didn't think much about it. We had warm gear but our downfall was boots. We had worn wimpy summertime water sucking boots. So, we cut our trip short and retreated. My old Golden looks so happy in the pictures. She loved the snow and was pretty waterproof. I do not think I have a scanner or I'd scan them. Now, how do I get rid of the mouse poop smell that is in my nose?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Sep 29, 2019 2:56 pm 
Re: The comment about single wall tents. Thanks for pointing this out, Pahoehoe, one of the thru hikers I picked up told me his particular single wall tent was too flimsy to hold up in snow.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Sep 29, 2019 4:00 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
Not sure what you are talking about in terms of mountaineering tents...
Like a Black Diamond I had one of these but sold it to Wildernessed because it was wasted on most of my lower elevation fair weather trips.

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostSun Sep 29, 2019 5:11 pm 
TS: re mouse smell. I would try baking soda. It’s good at absorbing odors. I some times put some in the cat litter.

When I grow up I wanna play.
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSun Sep 29, 2019 8:28 pm 
I did the section hike in Sept '99 from Snoqualmie to Stevens in several inches of snow, in running shoes. Only by moving fast were my feet ok, but luckily I could do that back then. We elected to quit while in Skykomish, but the next morning we got brilliant bluebird conditions that lasted all the way to Canada, eh? These conditions seem a little worse though, and maybe twice as much snow.

timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Sep 30, 2019 5:35 am 
Its global cooling

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Sep 30, 2019 10:49 am 
Snohomish County Sheriff's Office wrote:
Search and Rescue had a busy weekend along the Pacific Crest Trail. On Saturday, a 41 year-old male hiking the PCT sent an InReach distress signal from the Kennedy Creek crossing. He had fallen in a creek, it had been snowing heavily and he was suffering from an intestinal illness. SnoHawk 10 left around 1 p.m., located the hiker, hoisted him out and flew him Providence around 2:20 p.m. On Sunday, SAR was notified of a PLB activation (personal locator beacon) by a 76 year-old male hiking the PCT to Stehekin. SnoHawk 10 launched around 11:20 a.m. and located some of the the man's items along the trail, but not the hiker. After an extensive search of the area and help from another PCT hiker, the crew finally located the hiker near the North Fork of the Sauk River. The man told rescuers he had fallen and hit his head. The injury seemed to be causing him to lose his balance and continually fall and he could not walk or stand on his own. With the help from other hikers, he was trying to get off the mountain as quickly as possibly by following the Sauk North Fork Trail. Rescuers noted it was wise for him to keep moving, as temperatures had dropped into the 20's and it was snowing. The man was flown to Taylor's Landing where he was met by an aid car and transferred to a hospital. "Winter weather has arrived early in the Cascades and we may be in for more snow and freezing temperatures," said Chief Pilot Quistorf. Hiking in the mountains in the fall means the weather can be unpredictable and change in a matter of minutes. Some tips to know before you go: -Know the weather forecast before you hit the trail -Bring a map and compass and know how to use them. Even the most familiar of trails can easily disappear under a few inches of snow. -Bring extra clothes and outer layers - more than you think you'll need -Remember that the sun sets earlier and earlier this time of year - especially in the mountains. Thank you to Snohomish County Volunteer Search & Rescue and the many "trail angels" who help keep back-country explorers safe!

neek

neek
PostMon Sep 30, 2019 11:03 am 
Quote:
After an extensive search of the area
Once you push that button you need to stay put! The advice to keep moving (vs hunker down in your tent) seems strange to me. Either you need a rescue or you don't. (OK yeah I wasn't there and don't know the details.)

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostMon Sep 30, 2019 11:34 am 
neek wrote:
Quote:
After an extensive search of the area
Once you push that button you need to stay put! The advice to keep moving (vs hunker down in your tent) seems strange to me. Either you need a rescue or you don't. (OK yeah I wasn't there and don't know the details.)
Um, movement could ward off hypothermia is you are able to move... I can be comfortable hiking in a light tshirt where I would be shivering in a puffy. It's hard to say what was best, but not unreasonable to keep moving to stay warm. Who knows maybe his sleeping bag and tent was lost or damaged or wet.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Sep 30, 2019 11:43 am 
Once again thanks to Snohomish SAR and it’s awesome pilots and volunteers! up.gif

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Sep 30, 2019 11:45 am 
This last story reminds me of what a friend who had to use her inReach in a very tragic situation in the Trinity Alps mentioned. That it was SUPER helpful to her to have more than just a "send SOS" function available, especially having the ability to receive status updates and questions from the SAR team as they went from activation to approach. After her real-world experience I don't think she'd ever switch to a simpler PLB unit. If this guy had the 2-way commms on his unit, I assume he'd have been able to let rescuers know why he was on the move and what his plan was, or else he might have stayed put thanks to knowing how soon the chopper would be at his location.

neek

neek
PostMon Sep 30, 2019 11:46 am 
For sure, you generate a ton of heat while moving, but you can move in place (e.g. do pushups in your sleeping bag). Just trying to understand the scenarios where you'd push the button and keep going (in cases where updates can't be sent and 2-way communication isn't possible), for my own education. Has the "hug a tree" advice we've been giving our kids wrong? Of course maximizing safety under duress can be difficult.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Sep 30, 2019 11:47 am 
Yesterday I saw a post on FB claiming rangers were asking folks with 4x4s and time to go check the trail crossing at Hart's Pass to see if there were thru-hikers wanting to be driven down to civilization. The person who made the post had shuttled a load or maybe two into town, and expected that more folks eager for rides would be arriving in the next day or two, based on what he heard from his passengers.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Sep 30, 2019 12:06 pm 
joker wrote:
This last story reminds me of what a friend who had to use her inReach in a very tragic situation in the Trinity Alps mentioned. That it was SUPER helpful to her to have more than just a "send SOS" function available, especially having the ability to receive status updates and questions from the SAR team as they went from activation to approach. After her real-world experience I don't think she'd ever switch to a simpler PLB unit. If this guy had the 2-way commms on his unit, I assume he'd have been able to let rescuers know why he was on the move and what his plan was, or else he might have stayed put thanks to knowing how soon the chopper would be at his location.
This is a good point. Not maybe not helpful in a bad hyperthermia situation where dexterity becomes a problem.