Forum Index > Trail Talk > Managing toilets in the wilderness a problem
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Oct 02, 2019 8:15 pm 
Joker, sounds similar to the White Pass potties. There are also composting toilets at the Elbe rest area, if it is still there. I think the story goes that they started building it and then found out there were no sewer hookups and it was unsuitable or too spendy to build a system so compost toilets were put in. They get used a lot but I've only stopped there a couple of times. All was well both times.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Oct 03, 2019 2:07 pm 
I had to learn more about these composting toilets. There was an article in Popular Science about a few installations and the problems and successes they've had. Toilet Tech Solutions in Seattle appears to be the leader in this technology. Here's the one at Smith Rock SP

mb

mb
PostThu Oct 03, 2019 9:53 pm 
Hmmm.... I wonder fi they have more than one composting toilet in Smith Rock? I used one just about exactly 4.5 years ago. It was really nice. I just remember that users were supposed to add a bit of wood shavings to the toilet? (Ah, read that PopSci article. They indeed had an older shavings based one and the TTS one was an experiment because the shavings one wasn't very good... Perhaps they've switched to all TTS ones now?) I certainly remember some other user asking me about the toilets, if they flushed with water. I said no, but they were cleaner than almost any water flushing restrooms. None the less they decided they didn't want to even look at it. Edit: This podcast is decent: https://www.outsideonline.com/2282711/amazingly-crappy-story