Forum Index > Trip Reports > lake of the angels to upper lena + mt stone 9.28 - 9.29.19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostWed Oct 02, 2019 12:56 pm 
NOAA was predicting partly to mostly sunny weather in the southeastern Olympics last weekend so I recruited Said for a traverse between lakes with plans to climb Mt Stone and Mt Bretherton at either end. The forecast for Saturday was perfect and we were able to climb Stone, but we woke up to clouds and snow on Sunday, so we slept in and bailed on Bretherton. It was cloudy and drizzly when we left the car on Saturday morning but clearing when we reached Lake of the Angels. We hung out at the lake for awhile, hiding from biting wind and waiting for the sun to fully emerge, then followed the bootpath up to Mt. Stone.
looking back at swampy meadow below LotA
looking back at swampy meadow below LotA
mt stone
mt stone
lake of the angels
lake of the angels
looking back on LotA
looking back on LotA
blue sky!
blue sky!
skokomish
skokomish
It was dry to the saddle, but we hit a few inches of snow just above that. Snow and ice and wet rock in the Class 3 gully slowed us down but eventually we got around it and back on the bootpath that goes all the way to the base of the summit block. The "crux" 20' crack on the summit block is south-facing and was dry and easy to climb. By the time we reached the summit the wind was calm and the sun was out and the views were glorious.
climbing up to the saddle
climbing up to the saddle
negotiating the snowy gully
negotiating the snowy gully
climbing up the 20' class 3 crack
climbing up the 20' class 3 crack
summit view NE to scout lake + the brothers
summit view NE to scout lake + the brothers
washington pershing ellinor
washington pershing ellinor
pretty light on pretty slope
pretty light on pretty slope
stone ponds - we camped near the upper pond
stone ponds - we camped near the upper pond
mt. hopper looks like a nice walk
mt. hopper looks like a nice walk
lincoln, cruiser, skokomish
lincoln, cruiser, skokomish
But, the days are getting short so we didn't stay very long. I'm also short and had trouble finding a foothold at one spot while downclimbing the crack, but was able to get down with some direction from Said. clown.gif We retraced our steps to pick up our stashed overnight gear at 5600', then climbed up to St. Peter's gate and descended the solid ice "snowfield" to the northeast - was very glad to have crampons. The sun had set by this time so we slowly worked our way down the moraine to the uppermost Stone pond by headlamp to find a campsite.
looking back to stone's summit block
looking back to stone's summit block
things are getting golden
things are getting golden
descending
descending
heading up to st peter's gate
heading up to st peter's gate
sunset
sunset
stone icefield
stone icefield
The night was clear and starry when we went to bed but it was cloudy and snowing hard when I woke up so I went back to sleep. We decided to abandon Bretherton and took our time getting moving. It took a little while to find the bootpath after leaving the lake, but it was pretty easy to follow once we found it. The snow continued off and on all day and the clouds never cleared, but the tarns and trees and fall colors along the way were lovely anyway.
upper stone pond, and our descent route from st. peter's gate
upper stone pond, and our descent route from st. peter's gate
lots of tarns and meadows along the way
lots of tarns and meadows along the way
tarns and meadows along the way
mt. stone
mt. stone
about to crest the ridge
about to crest the ridge
It was snowing hard again when we reached Upper Lena. We found a sheltered spot to stop for snacks and then picked up some trash to carry out (a 2lb coleman-stove type metal fuel canister, complete with fuel, for me and a soggy thermarest pillow for Said down.gif ). On the hike down I entertained myself by taking photos of fungi, and thinking about what I would eat once I got to Three Magnets in Olympia (fried chicken blt sliders, yum).
the brothers
the brothers
upper lena reflection
upper lena reflection
shrooms
shrooms
shrooms
shrooms
shrooms
shrooms
shrooms
shrooms
shrooms
shrooms
shrooms
shrooms
shrooms
shrooms
Hope we get a little more autumn before the winter weather decides to stick around! ~19 miles, 7100'

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostWed Oct 02, 2019 7:51 pm 
Exceptional photos! Spectacular this time of year!

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
RAW-dad

RAW-dad
PostWed Oct 02, 2019 9:31 pm 
Nice pics! up.gif up.gif

Brian R

Brian R
PostWed Oct 02, 2019 9:36 pm 
One of my favorite trips. I've done it three times over the years--always as a day trip, stashing a bike at Putvin, then hiking Lena, Upper, Stone Ponds, LOTA, and out. Unfortunately, I've never done it when the ponds were melted out. Seeing your pictures, I'll have to go back!

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostWed Oct 02, 2019 11:26 pm 
up.gif Way to persevere despite the inclement weather!

edeezy

edeezy
PostThu Oct 03, 2019 12:33 am 
Gotta add this to the list!

rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostThu Oct 03, 2019 10:04 am 
Thanks, all! Brian R, that sounds like a long day! I'm going to have to go back too - I'd like to see the Stone ponds when they're all lit up in the sun and visit that beautiful meadowy ridge to Mt. Hopper. Does anyone know if there is a published map of ONP XC zone boundaries? I've been searching for one for awhile but haven't turned up anything yet.

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostThu Oct 03, 2019 3:32 pm 
Great trip and pics! And nice job getting up Stone in tricky conditions up.gif

rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostThu Oct 03, 2019 5:34 pm 
I was thinking of this one for North Cascades NP. I think they must have something similar for ONP that just isn't public, because they always put a specific zone on the permit (e.g. for this trip my permit was for "lake of the angels to scout lake", for a previous trip to deception basin the permit was for "x-country royal basin", etc.) It would be nice to know the boundaries of the quota areas. For this trip in particular, I was wondering if Milk lake is within the Upper Lena quota area. I asked a ranger on the phone but didn't get an answer.

RAW-dad

RAW-dad
PostThu Oct 03, 2019 6:37 pm 
It's not clear to me that ONP has strict quota zones like NOCA and MORA (if they do, it seems to be a state secret!). I say this based on a long conversation I had with a WIC ranger this summer about some off trail camps I had planned. He seemed mostly uninterested in where I was going as long as it wasn't in Grand Valley...

rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostThu Oct 03, 2019 8:24 pm 
Hesman wrote:
It would be this map that you’re looking for.
I’ve seen that map, and it’s helpful for identifying which camps have quotas, but it doesn’t break the backcountry into all the different zones like the one for NCNP. Thanks though! The NPS should cross-pollinate their good ideas across parks. ONP could get a backcountry zone map and NCNP could get the ability to arrange a permit over the phone!