Forum Index > Photography Talk > aperture and shutter speed
Previous :: Next Topic  
Bosterson

Bosterson

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 8:31 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
iron wrote:
i'm kind of amazed that with a FF camera, the ISO still needs to be that high to get an okay indoor shot.

FF has nothing to do with exposure. You might want to get a light meter and just play around with it to see how light levels vary. (Illumination is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the light source.) The correct exposure is only the product of ISO, shutter speed, and aperture. FF only allows you to use higher ISOs with less noise and better colors, because the sensor (and thus the pixels) is bigger.

But again, you have a f/2.8 zoom. There's no reason to be shooting at f/5 indoors.

--------------
We must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
iron
getting old

iron

getting old
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 8:48 pm 
Bosterson wrote:
iron wrote:
i'm kind of amazed that with a FF camera, the ISO still needs to be that high to get an okay indoor shot.

FF has nothing to do with exposure. You might want to get a light meter and just play around with it to see how light levels vary. (Illumination is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the light source.) The correct exposure is only the product of ISO, shutter speed, and aperture. FF only allows you to use higher ISOs with less noise and better colors, because the sensor (and thus the pixels) is bigger.

But again, you have a f/2.8 zoom. There's no reason to be shooting at f/5 indoors.

FF should be letting in considerably more light than a phone or a crop sensor, therefore allowing for lower ISO, faster shutter, etc.

i find that if i shoot f/2.8, the depth of focus often misses with my kids moving around, even with 3D focus on.

--------------
man, you go through life, you try to be nice to people, you struggle to resist the urge to punch 'em in the face, and for what?

--- moe sizlack
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Bosterson

Bosterson

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 9:34 pm 
iron wrote:
FF should be letting in considerably more light than a phone or a crop sensor, therefore allowing for lower ISO, faster shutter, etc.

The only things "letting in" light are shutter speed, aperture, and ISO. FF only affects the apparent depth of field of a given focal length, and the pixel pitch (which affects noise). FF does not affect exposure. The exposure value for a given amount of ambient light is the same however big your sensor/sheet of film/whatever is.

--------------
We must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Damian

Damian

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 9:57 pm 
iron wrote:
i do notice that in darker spots, the min shutter speed of 1/100 is overridden, so that kind of defeats the purpose of this feature

Not really.  Assuming you are in Aperature Priority mode, the camera will attempt to respect the minimum shutter speed you have selected until it reaches the highest ISO you have also selected.  Then, if the exposure triangle is still inadequate to support the available light, it will only then violate your minimum shutter speed.  I'm sure the camera feels guilty doing this, but it is making this choice reluctantly as opposed to providing you with an underexposed image and having you punish the camera.  It's doing the best it can  wink.gif .
iron
getting old

iron

getting old
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 10:14 pm 
if you set a minimum shutter speed, and then the camera breaks it, it's a false setting.

to be true to the setting, what the camera should do is underexpose your shot - maintaining ISO, shutter speed, and the aperture set in A mode.

--------------
man, you go through life, you try to be nice to people, you struggle to resist the urge to punch 'em in the face, and for what?

--- moe sizlack
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Damian

Damian

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 7:53 am 
Seems the designers figured that if you are using a semi-automatic mode like Aperture Priority you are expecting a properly exposed shot and are willing to accept big brother intervening if necessary.

But I understand your feelings.  Iíve had some disagreements with the logic my camera uses.  But every time it refuses to change.  As cameras get even more complicated I expect there to be theropy sessions for photographers and their cameras.
joker
seeker

joker

seeker
PostSun Nov 10, 2019 11:42 am 
Bosterson wrote:
iron wrote:

The only things "letting in" light are shutter speed, aperture, and ISO. FF only affects the apparent depth of field of a given focal length, and the pixel pitch (which affects noise). FF does not affect exposure. The exposure value for a given amount of ambient light is the same however big your sensor/sheet of film/whatever is.

From a "what it takes to get a properly exposed image" this is true, but it's also true that  larger sensor sites pull in more photons and will thus tend to have higher signal:noise ratios, and thus better low light performance (which you mention with respect to noise, but my point being that  this is due in part  to  "letting  more light in" and also  due to less  electrical-cross-talk as I understand it).
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere

Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Nov 11, 2019 10:30 pm 
It's documented that the camera will override the minimum shutter speed if max ISO is reached and the image will be underexposed.  If you know that's what it will do, I don't see the problem.

If you don't want your shutter speed to change, put the camera in M.  You can then set your own aperture and shutter speed and they will not change.  With auto ISO on the camera will vary ISO to achieve proper exposure as far as it can but it will not exceed the maximum ISO set in the menu.

I just shot a friend's 25th anniversary celebration inside a pretty dim banquet room last night.  I decided I'd rather have dark shots than blurry ones so set auto ISO to allow a maximum of 6400 and then set the aperture to 3.5 @ 16mm (it will vary with focal length to a value of f5.6 @ 85mm) and shutter speed to 1/30 and started shooting.  Most of the shots came out pretty good.

--------------
Photo Portfolio
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Photography Talk > aperture and shutter speed
  Happy Birthday smmslt, chris_NWUE!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: