Forum Index > Trail Talk > Worst Hiking Buddies Ever
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostThu Oct 03, 2019 9:43 pm 
A sobering story about North Shore Search and Rescue in North Vancouver coming to the aid of an injured hiker, abandoned by her hiking buddies who had "no intention of calling for help". https://bc.ctvnews.ca/worst-hiking-buddies-ever-rescued-woman-was-left-behind-by-companions-1.4618807

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 03, 2019 10:03 pm 
classy. huh.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Oct 03, 2019 10:10 pm 
How can we blame this on Instagram? wink.gif

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostThu Oct 03, 2019 10:45 pm 
Well, to be fair, I've met up with a few random people from the internet who turned out to be real super-duper assholes that I would have abandoned on the trail at the first opportunity. Rolled ankle or not.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Oct 03, 2019 11:20 pm 
Buddy doesn’t necessarily mean life long friends. I do take it at minimum to include someone who wouldn’t leave you on trail, injured. Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Oct 03, 2019 11:34 pm 
Guys getting too serious 'bout those start/end times for the TR's

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostFri Oct 04, 2019 12:23 am 
I've been on the receiving end of a similar experience and had to hike myself out 3 miles while my buddies napped at the car after they bailed on me. Next day doctor took one look at my ankle said it was for sure broken, x Ray showed no break and doctor then said it was the worst sprain she ever saw, I said it's probably because I hobbled along 3 miles on it. It was 100+ plus degrees that day and in the North Dakota Badlands with no trails. Both of my "buddies" packed inadequate water supplies and I gave them a liter each.( I had 4) and that was the thanks I got.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostFri Oct 04, 2019 7:22 am 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
Well, to be fair, I've met up with a few random people from the internet who turned out to be real super-duper assholes that I would have abandoned on the trail at the first opportunity. Rolled ankle or not.
You should probably not go hiking with someone you care so little for that you are willing to leave them for dead.

neek

neek
PostFri Oct 04, 2019 8:55 am 
Good reminder to take it slow when developing a hiking partner (or any other) relationship. That's one reason this site is great--you can learn about someone's interests and abilities through their trip reports, and about their attitude and communication style from other comments they make. I've never had a bad partner experience, but have heard a number of horror stories. All I can say is it usually takes two to tango. The biggest jerk I've ever hiked with, by far, is myself. With regard to the news story posted above, who knows how it really went down. Obviously it was irresponsible to separate under those circumstances. But if you're ever a victim of such treatment, warranted or not, you'd be a fool not to ask yourself how you might have behaved differently. It is, after all, much easier to change your own behavior than someone else's. Also I'm glad the rescue crew took a stand in this case rather than giving a neutral "well, stuff happens, we're just here to help" response.

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostFri Oct 04, 2019 9:53 am 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
You should probably not go hiking with someone you care so little for that you are willing to leave them for dead.
Not sh##. Which is why they are one-off events. The problem is that a lot of people LIE, LIE, LIE about their abilities to get on hiking/climbing trips that are over their heads. Had this happen several times. You can ask questions and check out their social media profiles but even that can be deceptive. And, TBQH, if you lie through your teeth to get on a trip and then get yourself into some sh##, I won't feel too bad about it.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Oct 04, 2019 11:31 am 
neek wrote:
With regard to the news story posted above, who knows how it really went down. Obviously it was irresponsible to separate under those circumstances.
Yes, I wondered about this when I first read this story (from a posting of it elsewhere). We know that news stories sometimes garble or miss key details. Is it possible that this was more a case of each of the two groups (fast and slow) thinking the other had this covered? Still not awesome at all, but quite different from the tale of willful abandonment.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostFri Oct 04, 2019 12:02 pm 
joker wrote:
neek wrote:
With regard to the news story posted above, who knows how it really went down. Obviously it was irresponsible to separate under those circumstances.
Yes, I wondered about this when I first read this story (from a posting of it elsewhere). We know that news stories sometimes garble or miss key details. Is it possible that this was more a case of each of the two groups (fast and slow) thinking the other had this covered? Still not awesome at all, but quite different from the tale of willful abandonment.
+1. Something seems to be missing from this story.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostFri Oct 04, 2019 12:47 pm 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
Pahoehoe wrote:
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
Not sh##. Which is why they are one-off events. The problem is that a lot of people LIE, LIE, LIE about their abilities to get on hiking/climbing trips that are over their heads. Had this happen several times. You can ask questions and check out their social media profiles but even that can be deceptive. And, TBQH, if you lie through your teeth to get on a trip and then get yourself into some sh##, I won't feel too bad about it.
You still shouldn't abandon someone. Your objective isnt (error shouldn't be) more important than someone's life. If you really dont want to ge inconvenienced only go with people you or someone you know, knows.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Oct 04, 2019 12:55 pm 
Yeah I'll only try trips with new unknown partners if I don't expect any challenging issues (eg navigation challenges or potentially tricky terrain) AND if I'm OK about a greater than normal risk of having to bail on the objective of the day.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Oct 04, 2019 6:26 pm 
Partners should never be abandoned unless it's high altitude climbing where assistance down the mountain is virtually impossible.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.