Forum Index > Trail Talk > What makes a good hiking partner?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostSat Oct 05, 2019 5:23 pm 
We've heard feedback on the worst, and the best, but what makes for a good hiking partner? Go.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
pcg

pcg
PostSat Oct 05, 2019 5:50 pm 
Someone who doesn't feel compelled to make conversation. I like quiet and my best hiking partner (moved away) was someone who was comfortable going all day without speaking unless necessary.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSat Oct 05, 2019 6:22 pm 
A dog. And in people the biggest thing is a positive attitude and a sense of humor about things like bad trails and weather.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
neek

neek
PostSat Oct 05, 2019 6:30 pm 
A cat. And anyone who can tolerate my stupid jokes.

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostSat Oct 05, 2019 6:39 pm 
Willingness to adapt to change of plans and clearly communicate concerns. I think a good hiking partner doesn't separate too long without letting you know about it. Also, being physically and mentally prepared and invested to go on the hike will help avoid unnecessary struggle. Not saying I'm a good partner but this is what I'd look for.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSat Oct 05, 2019 6:44 pm 
Great question. A great hiking partner for me is someone who really loves to hike. Someone you can respect for the person they are, and the character they have. They are someone who is self-sufficient, and can make it on their own, but who would never hesitate to risk their own life to rescue yours. They are smarter, stronger, and bolder than you, but at the same time they think you are a worthy companion. Somehow we complement each other because we have different strengths. When you propose something long and difficult, they say great idea. When you say, it might not go, they say let's give it a try. They don't mind getting dirty and they believe the key to hiking is tolerating hardship well. They think big, make plans, and help you achieve things you would never have done without them. They appreciate a good view on a clear Fall day or a trek in a whiteout, and they gladly humor you when you want to try out your new stove. They don't mind getting blown away on the uphill stretches, but are competitive enough to race you downhill. They enjoy talking about being a parent, friend, co-worker, having a job, and how the world works. They have great stories to tell about their adventures in life. A good hiking partner is someone who aspires to the ideal with good humor and humility.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSat Oct 05, 2019 6:47 pm 
neek wrote:
A cat. And anyone who can tolerate my stupid jokes.
Neek I too have a cat, maybe we can take our cats hiking together? Of course no dogs allowed on a cat hike. But really is it bad trail etiquette to allow my cat to hike off leash? It responds to voice commands. I feel like I could go all day on this.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
neek

neek
PostSat Oct 05, 2019 6:55 pm 
I hear they're going to start allowing dogs on cat trails. But let's not get into politics here. Seriously though, it depends on the goals for the day. Conversation, moving fast, doing a technical climb, showing a noob how awesome hiking is, taking the kid out, catching up with an old friend. As long as they're not a jerk, unsafe, or have APD (annoying personality disorder), I'm happy with pretty much anyone.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Oct 05, 2019 9:10 pm 
Someone who brings extra snacks. Just kidding. If somebody is knowledgeable on just about any aspect of a hike - what the plants or animals or nearby peaks are, etc - that can get you to appreciate your time out more, and in an unexpected way. When you take somebody who doesn't hike, or hasn't for a long time, it helps you see with new eyes. Being pushed beyond your normal boundaries, but not too far and not dangerously. Not only do you get to see something you wouldn't otherwise have, but you grow a little too.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Oct 05, 2019 11:25 pm 
Flexible, fit, diabolical, curious, eager, fun

I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostSun Oct 06, 2019 4:01 am 
No whiners.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Oct 06, 2019 7:22 am 
Unless you both are perfectly compatible, patience!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostSun Oct 06, 2019 8:27 am 
Someone willing to buy the beer afterwards (as opposed to someone who whines about not having any money with them...).

veronika

veronika
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 10:59 am 
Conversation, humor, patience (I'm a little slow these days). Also a sense of adventure. That's what I love... The adventure in it. Responsible yet a little crazy too. dizzy.gif A guide... Yes, I think I just need a guide. JK hihi.gif clown.gif

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.