Forum Index > Trail Talk > How feasible is Goat Mt (Baker wilderness) this week?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 6:12 am 
I left an expensive GPS device up at the 5500’ level of Goat Mt. I know exactly where I left it at a lunch break. The device is worth about $600 so I really want to go back and get it but the weather window seems to be getting quite small. Looks like there will be freezing rain and snow falling on Tuesday followed by really low freezing level. Anyone see any particular issues with going up there next week? The trail doesn’t seem to have any overt hazards. I don’t like the feeezing rain part of the forecast. But that device is sitting there...... WAZ567-072300- Cascades of Whatcom and Skagit Counties- Including the cities of Marblemount and Concrete 319 AM PDT Mon Oct 7 2019 TODAY...Rain and snow through the day. Freezing rain likely late in the morning. Snow level near 8500 feet. No snow accumulation. Ice accumulation of up to one half of an inch. TONIGHT...Rain, snow and a chance of freezing rain in the evening, then a chance of rain, snow and a slight chance of freezing rain after midnight. Snow level near 5000 feet decreasing to 3000 feet after midnight. Snow accumulation up to 1 inch. Ice accumulation of less than one quarter of an inch. TUESDAY...Rain, snow and a chance of freezing rain in the morning, then rain and snow likely in the afternoon. Snow level near 3000 feet. Snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches. Total snow accumulation 1 to 4 inches. TUESDAY NIGHT...Partly cloudy with a slight chance of rain and snow in the evening, then clear after midnight. Snow level near 2500 feet in the evening. Freezing level near 1000 feet after midnight. WEDNESDAY...Sunny. Freezing level near 1000 feet increasing to 2000 feet in the afternoon. WEDNESDAY NIGHT...Clear. Freezing level near 1500 feet. THURSDAY...Sunny. Freezing level near 3000 feet. THURSDAY NIGHT...Mostly clear. Freezing level near 3500 feet. FRIDAY...Mostly sunny. Freezing level near 4500 feet. FRIDAY NIGHT...Partly cloudy in the evening then becoming mostly cloudy. Freezing level near 5000 feet. SATURDAY...Mostly cloudy. A slight chance of rain in the morning, then a slight chance of rain and snow in the afternoon. Snow level near 4000 feet increasing to 5000 feet in the afternoon. SATURDAY NIGHT...Cloudy with a chance of rain and snow. Snow level near 5500 feet. SUNDAY...Cloudy. A chance of rain and snow in the morning, then a chance of rain, snow and a slight chance of light freezing rain in the aft

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 7:36 am 
Goat Mountain is pretty high and pretty steep near the top. It is likely that the upper slopes got 12-16" of snow earlier this week which will have melted to some degree and if any remains it will turn to ice. On top of that will be a few inches of new snow. I would carry an ice axe and crampons because of the steepness of the upper slope and treat it as a climb rather than a hike.

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 8:07 am 
Gb, my device is before you get to that steep slope. It’s after you get to the second flat part of the meadows. The first flat part is where it looks like a campsite and the second flat part is about 300’ higher and that’s where I left it. My concern is the freezing rain and ice. I’m gonna have to go for it this this week or weekend as the weather window may vanish for the rest of the year.