Forum Index > Trip Reports > Isolation in the Sawtooth - Star & Courtney (10/5 -10/6)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostTue Oct 08, 2019 6:58 pm 
Courtney summit view
Courtney summit view
Finney Peak had been penciled in for the 1st week of October all year for my annual larch trip. Unfortunately mother nature had other ideas and completely blanketed the Sawtooth Range under snow a few days before my trip. After getting some conditions update from Nancyann I decided the trip was still feasible, but would treat it as a winter climb. Recruited Neil to join so I could have someone break trail for me hihi.gif the two of us met at the Twisp bakery on Saturday and headed up the well maintained West Buttermilk Road to the TH. We were heading up the trail by 11:00 without another vehicle in the lot, guess the snow scared the crowds away. Made quick work for the 1st couple miles, but then found consistent snow at 5,000' which slowed us down a bit. Trail was easy to follow and is mostly cleared of downfall.
W. Buttermilk Trail
W. Buttermilk Trail
Consistent snow at 5,000'
Consistent snow at 5,000'
Winter in the Sawtooths
Winter in the Sawtooths
Reached the larch zone around 6,000' elevation. This is also where travel became much more difficult. Every step was shin to knee deep, and we switched off breaking trail up to Fish Creek Pass.
Gold Star
Gold Star
Larch & Star
Larch & Star
Fish Creek Pass
Fish Creek Pass
The ridge up Courtney had been wind swept, so we decided to run up to the summit. This was my 2nd time up there, but was a complete whiteout before. I was happy for the views. However, it took us forever to get there, so we quickly descended back to the pass.
Star from Courtney
Star from Courtney
Courtney
Courtney
Larch & lake
Larch & lake
Wind blown ridge on Courtney
Wind blown ridge on Courtney
Star detail
Star detail
Star Lake
Star Lake
Awesome!
Awesome!
Dusk above Star Lake
Dusk above Star Lake
Dropped down to Star Lake Basin which has a good 2.5 feet of snow and setup camp among the larch. It was a beautiful camp with an added bonus of no people. I immediately crashed from exhaustion while Neil stayed up enjoying the star show from Star Lake.
Star Lake Basin
Star Lake Basin
Golden
Golden
Larches
Larches
Definitely felt like winter camping with the cold snowy and long night. We got up at 7:30 with ambitious goals of bagging Finney for the day. Getting to the pass proved difficult. Deep unconsolidated snow from camp really was slowing us down. At the pass we took a look at the GPS. It was over 2.5 miles to Finney the way the crow flies still. Determined it would take a herculean effort to summit and get back to the car. Neither of us had that determination for that.
Neil waiting for the sun to hit
Neil waiting for the sun to hit
Neil among the larch
Neil among the larch
Larchy ridge walk
Larchy ridge walk
Decided to shoot for Star via the SW ridge. This proved to be difficult enough validating our bail on Finney. Just enough snow to cover up the boulders. It was endless post holing in the deep gaps between boulders. It was frustrating, but we managed to tag the summit 4.5 hours from the lake (crazy slow pace).
Golden views
Golden views
Star Lake, Courtney, Buttermilk, & Oval
Star Lake, Courtney, Buttermilk, & Oval
Finney & larch
Finney & larch
Route up Star
Route up Star
Views for days
Views for days
Finney detail
Finney detail
Finney Peak
Finney Peak
Courtney & the Cascades
Courtney & the Cascades
Oval
Oval
traversing snow slopes
traversing snow slopes
Neil breaking trail
Neil breaking trail
Scrambled the snowy SW ridge line
Scrambled the snowy SW ridge line
Snowy Martin, Cheops, & Switchback
Snowy Martin, Cheops, & Switchback
Star summit block
Star summit block
Nearing the summit of Star
Nearing the summit of Star
snowy ridge walk
snowy ridge walk
Finney, Baldy, and N. Cascades
Finney, Baldy, and N. Cascades
Took a shortcut back to the lake dropping off a steep saddle and plunge stepping down to the lake. 4.5 hours up and less than 1.5 down to camp rolleyes.gif We quickly broke camp and headed out hoping to beat dark. With our tracks on the way in we were able to cruise out from Star Lake in under 3 hours. Celebration beers were had at The Old Schoolhouse. 19.5 miles w/ 6,300' and not a person to be seen. Another great weekend in the mountains!!!

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Waterman

Waterman
PostTue Oct 08, 2019 7:02 pm 
The old schoolhouse is a great way to finish a trip.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostTue Oct 08, 2019 7:37 pm 
Jeff wrote:
Would you recommend skis, snowshoes, or just boots if you want to get to the lakes around 7000ft?
we didnt use snowshoes and managed ok. Did use our mountaineer boots w/ gaitors. Definitely not enough cover for skis.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostTue Oct 08, 2019 7:52 pm 
Most excellent trip/photos to one of my favorite destinations, but Sheesh!, what October conditions.! dizzy.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Oct 08, 2019 8:03 pm 
Spectacular! Glad it worked out so well for you guys. We sure could have used some of that sunshine the other day!

ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostTue Oct 08, 2019 8:20 pm 
Dayum man!! Beautiful pics and ambitious endeavor!! Wish I could have joined. Alotta snow too! Cheers D-man! cheers.gif

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
LeafEater

LeafEater
PostTue Oct 08, 2019 10:11 pm 
If you've never done Finney it's probably a good thing you decided not to do it in those conditions. I've pretty much done all the sawtooth 8k footers and I did Finney this July. Finney was longer and tougher than I thought it would be.

mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostTue Oct 08, 2019 11:03 pm 
Star and Courtney are two Bulgers that are worth repeating, anyways. Great effort.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostWed Oct 09, 2019 10:54 am 
Did you find a lime green colored Bic lighter up there? I think I dropped it near Courtney back in September. Nice trip and pics. Gotta love the Chelan Sawtooth Cascades.

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostWed Oct 09, 2019 3:02 pm 
It looks icy already there! Did you have to melt snow or are still creeks running? How was the creek crossing at the beginning for you?

rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostWed Oct 09, 2019 4:10 pm 
mbravenboer wrote:
It looks icy already there! Did you have to melt snow or are still creeks running? How was the creek crossing at the beginning for you?
Plenty of running water until Fish Creek Pass. Had to chop at the ice in Star Lake with ice axe for water in the basin though. Creek crossing was a non issue

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostWed Oct 09, 2019 4:21 pm 
rocknclimb wrote:
Plenty of running water until Fish Creek Pass. Had to chop at the ice in Star Lake with ice axe for water in the basin though. Creek crossing was a non issue
Thanks smile.gif That's very helpful.

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostThu Oct 10, 2019 11:58 am 
Looks cool with the snow despite the added difficulty I wish we had that in 2015. cool.gif

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostSat Oct 12, 2019 9:23 pm 
Thanks to your report, I did an overnight trip to Star Lake Thursday and Friday. I think your track and a day hiker ahead of me were the only ones. There was a lot less snow, which was helpful on the approach, but it made the rocks really bad. I was exhausted at Pt 7912 and gave up looking at the remainder of Star Peak. Thanks for the great info. I met some hunters going on heading to Oval, apparently deer hunt started today, so be careful out there. My photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bravenboer/albums/72157711313512663

John_B

John_B
PostSun Oct 13, 2019 4:10 pm 
Saturday was the start of the 10 day "Modern Rifle" season. It runs until the 22nd.