Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mount St. Helens accident
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gil

Gil
PostWed Oct 09, 2019 8:52 pm 
Some odd details. https://snowbrains.com/miracle-climber-fell-mount-st-helens-survived/

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 09, 2019 10:25 pm 
Oh wow. I bet a broken hip is terrible, painful and limiting. 🤕 Hope she recovers quickly and completely, and they give her good pain medicine.

markweth

markweth
PostThu Oct 10, 2019 8:30 am 
Yikes, wishing her a quick recovery. Sounds like the rescue went smoothly and she was humble enough to admit the factors that lead to her accident. Hopefully that will help others be more prepared in the future. I actually climbed Mount Saint Helens this past Sunday morning for the first time. There were definitely places I wouldn't have wanted to fall, but for the most part it seemed "safe". Maybe I was more complacent than I should have been. All I had were microspikes and trekking poles to deal with the hard-packed snow on the morning climb.

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostThu Oct 10, 2019 10:35 am 
This happened in July 2018. https://katu.com/news/local/rescue-operation-underway-for-injured-hiker-on-mount-st-helens https://nbcmontana.com/news/nation-world/climber-falls-300-feet-on-mount-st-helens-and-survives

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
JimmyBob

JimmyBob
PostThu Oct 10, 2019 12:54 pm 
She had a service dog. That is no place for a dog in general, especially a service dog-human pair.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostMon Oct 14, 2019 10:06 pm 
I see people all the time on terrain where an ice axe should be carried with trekking poles. When you can get a ice axe for about 100 bucks or rent one for 20 I don't understand this. Your trekking poles won't save your life all they will do is help you get yourself into a bad situation. I've seen injuries on the trail because people were relying on the poles to help them descend and then snapped them and took a nasty fall. Trekking poles are great for hiking and some snow applications, but my rule of thumb typically is if I need crampons/ microspikes and there is any exposure I use an ice axe.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Oct 15, 2019 10:50 am 
She says she didn't have an ice pick. huh.gif Sigh.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Oct 15, 2019 1:24 pm 
Doppelganger wrote:
Those whippets were the best of both worlds, do they still make those?
Yes, Black Diamond still makes those. You can buy a single pole, or an attachment that fits the BD "Whippet Ready" poles.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Oct 15, 2019 1:34 pm 
Regardless of whether it's an ice axe or whippet, I think it is prudent to practice self arrest skills in places with a safe run out before heading onto terrain where a slip is likely to inflict significant injuries. Inexperienced users of ice axes have inflicted serious injuries, sometimes fatal , from stabbing themselves with an out of control ice axe. Panic and how do I use this thing are bad things have in your head when sliding down steep snow. Self arrest movements need to be practiced enough that thinking isn't required.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostTue Oct 15, 2019 6:01 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Regardless of whether it's an ice axe or whippet, I think it is prudent to practice self arrest skills in places with a safe run out before heading onto terrain where a slip is likely to inflict significant injuries. Inexperienced users of ice axes have inflicted serious injuries, sometimes fatal , from stabbing themselves with an out of control ice axe. Panic and how do I use this thing are bad things have in your head when sliding down steep snow. Self arrest movements need to be practiced enough that thinking isn't required.
Can't agree more and if you don't want to beat up your own gear rent one for 20 bucks. It's just like anything else when you know what hits the fan you don't perform at your optimum level, most likely all your training will barely be enough to suffice. I have been thinking about walking side by side with a friend up a safe hill and practicing by knocking each other over so that way it's harder to predict. And then you may not have a perfect fall, then I realized it's probably just another way to get hurt doing this and decided against it.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 9:20 am 
SwitchbackFisher wrote:
I have been thinking about walking side by side with a friend up a safe hill and practicing by knocking each other over so that way it's harder to predict. And then you may not have a perfect fall, then I realized it's probably just another way to get hurt doing this and decided against it.
Smart, or not, we used to don helmets, , axes, etc, and then rope up and hit a steep-ish slope with softer snow and a safe runout. We would head up and the guys behind the leader were in charge of "yanking" him off his feet and then the leader would practice arresting the team as they all pulled down. We took turns. I am not sure we pulled hard enough to simulate a team falling on a steep icy hard slope though...

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 4:31 pm 
Apparently, Ueli Steck went axless sometimes and it my have contributed to his fatal accident. Interesting read: Did Steck Have an Ice Ax on His Last Climb?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 5:44 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
Apparently, Ueli Steck went axless sometimes and it my have contributed to his fatal accident. Interesting read: Did Steck Have an Ice Ax on His Last Climb?
Emulating Steck is probably a bad idea for 99.9999999% of humans.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 7:03 pm 
Sadly, we might make that 100%.

neek

neek
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 7:11 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Emulating Steck is probably a bad idea for 99.9999999% of humans.
All but 8? Sounds about right...