Forum Index > Gear Talk > Tough Boot Laces
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Damian

Damian
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 11:45 am 
Used to be laces lasted the life of the boot. In recent years I have only found crap on the market for laces, including the ones that come with the boots. (braided outside with fibrous stuff inside). Who sells good ones? (really strong fat ones)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 12:51 pm 
When my stock laces break down I replace with 3mm perlon (e.g., PMI). High quality 2mm braided cord (skinny but tough) or real paracord ("strong fat") also works. Be sure to melt the ends to avoid fraying. ETA: Aramid boot laces (e.g., Rhino Laces) are available, although I haven't tried them

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 3:59 pm 
Be careful with some of the aramid fiber laces. Some are so hard, and actually abrasive, that they will wear through some eyelets, hooks, or sewn loops that the laces go through. Some are covered with nylon and once the nylon wears out, the exposed core can wear through things. I like the paracord recommendation. We also used to take the core out of double pick braided sheath, 8mm, climbing ropes after they were retired. A double pick braided sheath makes a decent boot lace (once the core is removed). Edelrid also used to make some excellent flat boot laces, but I haven't seen them for years.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 4:32 pm 
Rhino boot laces are probably the toughest on the planet (if you want to spend $20 a pair). I have gone to these in the past year. They are a bit stiff but seem indestructible. Some shoe stores carry them but it is easier to get them off Amazon.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 7:22 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
Rhino boot laces are probably the toughest on the planet (if you want to spend $20 a pair).
I may try them or DIY knockoffs. Re Schenk's point, Rhino laces are kernmantle construction: Aramid core inside polyester sheath. For DIYers, 50' lengths of the same or equivalent cord cost around $15. Aramid doesn't melt so you'd need to find crimp aglets or epoxy the ends to prevent fraying.

Damian

Damian
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 8:45 pm 
For an effective end treatment put a drop of CA (Super glue) near the end then enclose it with 3/8” of heat shrink tubing. Hit it with the heat gun. Bomb proof.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 9:18 pm 
I'll try it. thx

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 9:42 pm 
I have some Obenauf's boot laces that seem to be indestructible, stay tied, and don't seem to rip up the boot eyelets. I currently have them on an old pair of Asolo 520's that were unfortunately ruined by the local boot resoler being too lazy to grind off any of the outer sole past the nubs, so they are now a 5.5 pound pair of "light duty" boots. rant.gif

friluftsliv
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Jan 16, 2018 11:57 am 
With kernmantle type laces you can also pull out the core and trim it a bit shorter than the sheath, then melt the nylon sheath around the end. The CA and heat shrink sounds pretty darn cool though.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jan 16, 2018 12:25 pm 
Per my quick research it appears that heatshrink tube is relatively common for DIY lace aglets. I had no idea. Thx to damian for the tip tip. wink.gif I ordered some aramid cord and plan to make DIY laces.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Jan 16, 2018 2:00 pm 
You could also try using 1/8" Amsteel. It has a break strength of 2500 pounds. It is an easily splicable 12 strand weave, is stronger than steel wire of the same diameter and is so light it floats in water. I use it on a lot of applications with my hammocks. But don't try using it with a becket hitch( A.K.A. trucker's hitch). That's how my hammock suspension failed (with me in it) last summer. Round weaves will slip with that kind of a knot. I splice the ends or seal them with the electrical heat shrink tubing. I got that idea from the original Sierra cut-to-length boot laces years ago. Good luck.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jan 17, 2018 10:34 am 
I use Amsteel for my hammock ropes (3/16) It is great for that application. For boot laces, I wonder how well knots will hold, the stuff is really slippery. Figure 8 knots hold OK in my hammock lines. If someone actually tries Amsteel , I be interested to hear how well knots hold.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jan 19, 2018 8:42 pm 
If your boot eyelets are metal and getting thin from abrasive laws, insert the head of a flat head screwdriver and rotate the eyelet.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
kraitcatcher

kraitcatcher
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 8:00 pm 
Campmoor was selling heavy duty laces,the one I have are on my old school hiker and man are they tough. Also,try using paracord 500 line.

currently looking for backpacking partners for next may for a week in the trinity alps,asnd some other trips and help on a book that will involve tons of camping
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 9:01 pm 
Laces, I hate round laces unless they are lumpy.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn