Forum Index > Trail Talk > Suggestions for hikes in Yosemite Nat'l Park?
Previous :: Next Topic  
Navy salad

Navy salad

PostMon Oct 14, 2019 11:21 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
My family and I are heading to Yosemite for 4 days later this week. Does anyone have some suggested hikes for the area? I'm hoping for both:
-- Easy hikes that most anyone could do; and
-- Really beautiful hikes for my son and I to do. We're both in good shape, so a difficult hike would be ok (we're not specifically looking for hard hikes, but don't want to pass up a spectacular hike just because it's hard).

Of course, a really beautiful hike that also happens to be easy is fine!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostMon Oct 14, 2019 11:54 am 
I've done a handful of hikes in Yosemite.  Lots of great options.  I'll just throw some out there, not really separated into easy or longer.

Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne

Cathedral Lakes--can do some off trail rambling around the base of Cathedral Peak, Echo Rocks, Budd Lake (and you can pick up an unofficial trail from its outlet that loops back down to near the trailhead).

Clouds Rest

Lembert Dome--there is a loop trail around it, but you can walk straight up it; it looks impossibly steep from below but it's the best kind of grippy rock, any decent boot will be fine on it

Vernal Falls loop-up Mist Trail and down John Muir

I meant to hit Glacier Point but didn't quite make it.  I did do a nearby loop with Taft Point and Sentinel Dome.

That's barely scratching the surface, but I think those are all the hikes I've done in Yosemite.  I enjoyed all of them.  You probably can't go wrong there.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Navy salad

Navy salad

PostMon Oct 14, 2019 2:38 pm 
Great suggestions, thanks!
Navy salad

Navy salad

PostSun Oct 27, 2019 11:33 am 
OlderthanIusedtobe: We ended up doing the Vernal Falls loop (up Mist trail, down Muir) that you suggested. Great hike! A bit tougher than I expected from the description, but that just makes it better exercise! Thanks again!
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostSun Oct 27, 2019 1:12 pm 
up.gif

Cool.  Is there much snow down there?
Navy salad

Navy salad

PostSun Oct 27, 2019 2:18 pm 
No snow on the ground even where the hike crosses over the ridge near where it joins the Muir trail. Plenty cold though! But there was snow on the peaks, etc.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Suggestions for hikes in Yosemite Nat'l Park?
  Happy Birthday Damian, chefothefuture, Dogman, ridgescrambler, Bryan K, Eaglecadd!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: