Forum Index > Trip Reports > A North Cascades Traverse: Watson - Berdeen - Blum (Aug 29 - Sept 2, 2019)
Previous :: Next Topic  
platypus

platypus

PostWed Oct 23, 2019 8:01 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Thanks again to everyone for the super warm and positive comments. I'm glad it was fun to read through for some folks and that it brought back good memories to others!

DIYSteve wrote:
Looks to be a black/yellow Jake's Spin-a-Lure, possibly used on this trip per my reco. Similar to Super Duper but bigger and heavier.

Yep, that's the one! Took your recommendation to heart - we couldn't miss with that one or the brass/red. Very cool action on those lures. Thanks again smile.gif.

Brian Curtis wrote:
Nert Lake has never held fish (I helped stock it once) so it wasn't one of the lakes that NCNP poisoned like the Blums.

The lake you called Upper Nert we normally call Talus Tarn.

I hope you got a chance to fish the other lakes along the way to Berdeen.

That's super interesting, thanks for the info. I wonder why Nert didn't hold fish... wish we'd spent longer there to check it out more thoroughly. I hadn't seen 'Upper Nert' called Talus Tarn before online - that's good to know. Unfortunately we didn't get the chance to fish the other lakes on the way to Berdeen since we were getting into camp pretty late every day. But even so, that one evening of fishing in Berdeen was more than worth it for us!

reststep wrote:
Thanks for a the great write up and pictures.  How is the ankle?

Thanks! Ankle's doing great. Took a couple weeks to feel comfortable again for climbing / hiking, but I honestly can't believe how quickly it recovered compared to the previous times I'd injured it.

DIYSteve wrote:
Pacific Salamanders were thriving in Nert when we last visited it in 2014.

Oh awesome. Now I wish even more that we'd stayed at Nert for longer. As I mentioned in the TR, we briefly looked for salamanders at Nert but couldn't find any. Saw tons at Upper Nert / Talus Tarn though.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis

Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Oct 24, 2019 6:06 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
Pacific Salamanders were thriving in Nert when we last visited it in 2014.

Those were probably northwestern salamanders (Ambystoma gracile). I've been doing amphibian surveys recently so have salamanders on on the brain.

DIYSteve wrote:
Has Ipsoot Lake been poisoned? I caught some nice cutts out of it in 2011 and 2014. I would imagine Ipsoot does not get many visitors.

No, Ipsoot has not been poisoned. Interestingly, it has lots of salamanders, too. But they are very difficult to spot during the day. They come out at night and gather in the shallows. Really cool to see.

--------------
that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome

Forest nut...
PostThu Oct 24, 2019 9:07 am 
...looking forward to 30 people at diosbids next summer....great job everyone!! I will be  taking some pic's of all the poo and chopped trees as well as the new fire rings built!...

with any luck permits will be required in a few years..... up.gif  up.gif
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108

Thundering Herd
PostThu Oct 24, 2019 11:26 am 
Brian Curtis wrote:
I've been doing amphibian surveys recently so have salamanders on on the brain.

Hey maybe you can tell what these creatures are:

Found in a small Olympic Tarn.  There are a whole bunch of them visible in the second photo.

--------------
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing"  - Albert Einstein
Tom
Admin

Tom

Admin
PostThu Oct 24, 2019 12:16 pm 
platypus wrote:
I wonder why Nert didn't hold fish... wish we'd spent longer there to check it out more thoroughly.

You didn't miss anything. Really, you can't pass Nert quickly enough in my opinion. Invest that time anywhere else along the route.
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis

Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Oct 24, 2019 12:30 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
Hey maybe you can tell what these creatures are:

Those are almost certainly northwestern salamander larvae. Note the external gills. They retain those to quite a large size.

--------------
that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
platypus

platypus

PostThu Oct 24, 2019 5:50 pm 
I've removed the map from the TR after receiving quite the message from user forest gnome.

The map had a few points denoting major landmarks that are easily observable on the USGS topo map, and obviously had no lines or anything of that sort (for all the normal reasons). But if it rustles someone's jimmies this much it's not worth it obviously. I'm not here to start an argument that is obviously better suited for other threads here, but I will note that this isn't an Instagram account with a million followers, it's a trip report on a small forum whose largest subforum is specifically for publishing trip reports. There are also a couple dozen existing trip reports to the Diobsuds over the past decade (several of which are linked in the OP), with a couple giving GPS routes and several having received over 10x the views of this one yet the ranger at Sedro-Woolley said that only a couple groups got into any of these three cross-country zones each month this summer.

There are many effective ways to promote responsible ethics in nature and there are definitely times and places to limit traffic in sensitive wilderness areas (I'm a conservation biologist, so I get it). I don't think that aggressive messages or personal attacks achieve either of these goals.

forest gnome wrote:
with any luck permits will be required in a few years..... up.gif  up.gif

Permits are already required.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
platypus

platypus

PostThu Oct 24, 2019 6:06 pm 
Brian Curtis wrote:
Those are almost certainly northwestern salamander larvae. Note the external gills. They retain those to quite a large size.

Thank you for the ID tip!
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome

Forest nut...
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 10:36 am 
apparently I sound like a cranky old gnome...waterman sent me a message..well apologies to your group platy...will mod. my post as well..

just didn't get to the dios this year and hope not to see too many people there next summer, it is actually some hardish x-c for our group..we may never get to the whole traverse...

THANK you for taking map off... smile.gif I know there have been other reports on the area, for gods sake berdeen was on the cover of some book,and they made it sound like easy hike...
Brian R

Brian R

PostSat Oct 26, 2019 11:07 am 
Wow, what a nice trip! Crampons and fishing poles--does it get any better?  The photos are just outstanding. Smiles here too just reading your report.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trip Reports > A North Cascades Traverse: Watson - Berdeen - Blum (Aug 29 - Sept 2, 2019)
  Happy Birthday Damian, chefothefuture, Dogman, ridgescrambler, Bryan K, Eaglecadd!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: