Forum Index > Trip Reports > Apex, Pope/Chewuch, Wolframite, Bauerman, Arnold, Horseshoe car2car (59 mi), Oct 12, 2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eric Gilbertson

Eric Gilbertson
PostThu Oct 17, 2019 8:22 pm 
Quote:
I have completed two different hundred mile runs in winter in Alaska in sub-zero ( F) temps, wearing running shoes,
Wow that's amazing! And it was probably mostly in the dark too I'm guessing. Interesting to hear running shoes still work in those conditions. I think your wet-suit analogy makes sense for my wet running shoes. Thanks for the advice about the tracks. Sounds like consensus from several people is that the cat track is indeed a lynx. I have been lucky enough to see a lynx once (in the Yukon), but not lucky enough to see a cougar yet. Maybe a good reason to return to the Pasayten.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Eric Gilbertson

Eric Gilbertson
PostThu Oct 17, 2019 8:34 pm 
Quote:
How was Afghanistan???
My expedition to the Afghanistan highpoint, Noshaq (7,495m), this year was a success. I spent about 3.5 weeks in July and made it up the West ridge route from the Afghanistan side with 3 friends. I ended up leading the 3-pitch 5.6 M4 crux at 7,000m. We were the only team to summit this year. I put up a report and some pictures on my website. The approach is land-mined but locals know the safe way. I'm happy to help with logistics if anyone else wants to go in there, but not sure if the security situation will still be ok there. That trip is one reason I wasn't able to bag peaks in the cascades this summer.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Oct 17, 2019 9:27 pm 
Eric Gilbertson wrote:
not lucky enough to see a cougar
But you know they have seen you many times. They probably gaze, then realize you are too quick to expend extra energy for. ( I often call the last person in line "cougar bait." ..but that wouldn't apply to soloists.......oh wait... eek.gif )

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri Oct 18, 2019 10:30 am 
Eric Gilbertson wrote:
Quote:
How was Afghanistan???
My expedition to the Afghanistan highpoint, Noshaq (7,495m), this year was a success. I spent about 3.5 weeks in July and made it up the West ridge route from the Afghanistan side with 3 friends. I ended up leading the 3-pitch 5.6 M4 crux at 7,000m. We were the only team to summit this year. I put up a report and some pictures on my website.
That was great! Thanks for the link, and congrats on the successful climb! I don't know if you've read the entertaining "A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush", by Eric Newby? If not, you might have fun reading it with a broken screen. smile.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani