Forum Index > Gear Talk > Quilt/Sleeping Bag Recommendations
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dharmabum

Dharmabum
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 10:58 am 
I am looking for a 30-35 degree rated quilt or sleeping bag that weighs at around the 1lb mark. My current bag is a Marmot Helium 15 degree bag w/ 850 down which weighs in on my scale at just under 2 lbs..... but is a bit of overkill during the summer months. Any first hand recommendations? Was looking at the Z Pack Solo, REI Magma Quilt, Marmot Phase 30, Sea to Summit Spark SP II, Western Mountain Highlight 35.... among others.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RatherBOutdoors

RatherBOutdoors
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 5:08 pm 
I have a Katabatic Gear Palisade that I've been using for about 2 years. Weight starts at 16.4 oz (from their site) and goes up from there depending on size and fill. The version I have is about 20 oz and I've slept comfortably in it in temperatures from the mid 20's to around 50 degrees. I've been very happy with it, but they are pretty pricey. -Barry

Frango

Frango
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 7:26 pm 
Enlightened equipment makes several quilt styles that weigh in around where you want to be. I can’t recommend them highly enough. I have 2; a 20° and a 40°. This gives me the flexibility of 4 season use. Love them!! www.enlightenedequipment.com

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 8:40 pm 
I bought a custom UGQ Bandit quilt earlier this year. After looking at Enlightened Equipment and Hammock Gear, the UGC seemed the best deal in terms of down (oz) per $, as well as features. (They're the only company I've found that offers a neck gasket baffle, which sealed the deal for me. No drawcord against your neck!) For a 30° quilt with 850 fill down, it was still around $300 all told. I only got a chance to use it on one 5 day trip this summer, and I was pretty happy with it, though I was not overly warm on my first 40° night. (Though toasty above that. I'm still working out how to optimize tucking the quilt under me to prevent drafts, etc.) Total weight is around 20 oz with slightly heavier/more durable 20D top fabric (you save 1.5 oz for 10D).

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Adohrn

Adohrn
PostThu Oct 17, 2019 2:54 am 
Enlightened equipment +2 Have the revelation 20 degree 950 down and like it. I always have problems on long hikes with the footbox of mummy bags wetting out. Really like that the revelation fully opens up. Makes drying the quilt really fast. Some of the other models have a sewn footbox which does not appeal to me. Have put around 300+ miles on the Pct and the 485 mile Colorado trail on it so far and its performed and held up great. They always have a Black Friday sale. Something like 10-15 percent off.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Oct 17, 2019 2:50 pm 
Adohrn wrote:
Enlightened equipment +3

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostThu Oct 17, 2019 6:49 pm 
Enlightened Equipment +4. I've got the Revelation 40 degree bag, perfect for late spring through early fall. I love it! You can get a 30 degree version or even 20, and your choice of down fill power. You can customize your bag to your desired specifications. Highly recommended.

uww

uww
PostThu Oct 17, 2019 10:16 pm 
How do the adjustable footboxes perform when it is cold? I like the idea of having a 'quilt' option for when it is warmer, but I would not want to have a draft at 20 degrees.

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostThu Oct 17, 2019 10:25 pm 
Enlightened equipment +5. For a lightweight quilt I love it.

When I grow up I wanna play.
Adohrn

Adohrn
PostThu Oct 17, 2019 11:14 pm 
uww wrote:
How do the adjustable footboxes perform when it is cold?
The sewn footboxes of course will be warmer. I have never had any problems with drafts or a cold footbox even when pushing my sleep system to its limits using a 20 degree revelation though. The footbox is created by a zipper for the length, and a bungie draw cord with 2 locks for the end. Technically there is always a small hole at the bottom, it can be blocked by putting a pair of socks ect... and drawing the end closed on them. I have only ever done this when pushing the system to its limits. My personal bugaboo is a damp footbox is not very warm at all. My feet are swamp coolers tough, so your miles may very.

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostThu Oct 17, 2019 11:55 pm 
I ended up cinching my footbox around a spare pair of socks to block the draft - it worked fine, though it seems like they could design the quilts with a little extra baffle to do the same thing. I'm not sure I see the value of a 20° quilt - sure you can customize them, and small business made in USA etc, but there are plenty of very light, high quality down bag makers (and FF is made in USA as well, for instance) and once you drop below freezing I would want a full hood. (Especially when the weight savings are pretty minimal compared with clothes, food, etc.). But for above freezing temps, I would go with the adjustable footbox for versatility, which regular bags can't do.

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSat Oct 19, 2019 8:39 am 
quilt vs mummy -I think it depends on how cold you get sleeping, even in summer months. Used a western mountaineering Highlite for ~ 14 years - super appreciate the ability to cinch a mummy's hood down to completely enclose myself in the bag to retain warmth. Often I just leave a little "blowhole" open and that's it. 2 yrs ago replaced the Highlite with the Western Mountaineering Summerlite and I like this bag even more, warmer for a 3 oz difference for the same length bag. (In my case I saved an ounce because I got a shorter bag.) BTW I also had a Helium, replaced it with a WM Alpinlite which I found to be a warmer bag for winter camping.

Adohrn

Adohrn
PostSun Oct 20, 2019 9:25 pm 
Its was on my short list Iron, but went with EE. I believe $ and it was a few ounces heavier were the deciding factors. Hard to knock FF though as all their stuff is top notch. Bosterson look into balaclavas. They provide a functional equivalent to a mummy bags hood. For me as an energetic side sleeper they work better. No waking up in the middle of the night finding I have been breathing into my bag.

Adohrn

Adohrn
PostSun Oct 20, 2019 10:03 pm 
EE R/R is 78 length 54 Shoulder width 40 footbox As found on Revelation custom configure page is you scroll Dow to Specs https://enlightenedequipment.com/revelation-custom/ FF We provide the dimensions of our sleeping bags in a series of three numbers (e.g. 60/52/38) that should give you a good idea of the shape of the bag. Those measurements refer to the interior circumference of the sleeping bag, measured in inches, at the shoulder, waist, and foot. So it looks like EE does not give a waste measurement. Edited to correct answer

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostSun Oct 20, 2019 10:33 pm 
iron wrote:
does the 62" compare to the 54", or does 48" compare to 54"???
The 62 compares to the 54, but they're not really the same measurement since quilts do not have fabric that goes under your back. ~ 55" is sufficient for a single adult - you can tuck the extra part of the quilt under your shoulders if you need it warmer, otherwise it can stay as open as you want. Think of it like a blanket with a drawcord at the top. Can't speak for EE (and apparently they don't give a waist measurement), but for my UGQ Bandit:
Quote:
55" FULL TAPER - Shoulders 55" (140cm) / Hips 48" (122cm) / Foot Box 40" (102cm) - Minimum width recommended for side sleeping on a pad.