Forum Index > Gear Talk > DIY handpowered tow rope
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostMon Mar 16, 2020 9:12 pm 
curious to see if anyone's tried setting up a pulley system to create a ski tow rope. my idea would be like a 9:1 pulley ratio with a deadman buried upslope 30m. then, hook the other end to a skier (like a 3 year old) and quickly hoist up. this would be at a closed ski resort.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dave allyn

dave allyn
PostTue Mar 17, 2020 6:40 am 
At 9:1 it would take around 270 meters of rope. Good idea, not sure how to make it work.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue Mar 17, 2020 9:24 am 
The issue is resetting the pulley system after the first use. I’d suggest modifying a cheap electrical winch as a continuous rope pulley. A motorcycle sized battery would run it for plenty of runs.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostTue Mar 17, 2020 11:43 am 
Dad's supposed to carry the 3-year old up. Just one more time!

iron

iron
PostTue Mar 17, 2020 11:52 am 
dad's at work. mom goes out midweek smile.gif

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostTue Mar 17, 2020 1:02 pm 
Hook 3 Y/O to runner or rope (skis still on), stash her (wife's) skis on pack, boot up slope with tot in tow. Low angle slope just V up the slope. Been there. Great workout.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Mar 18, 2020 7:41 am 
I assume you are uphill yarding the kid with your "yarder" at the top. You can rig a skyline and then put a "carriage" which would be your block, to ride on the skyline. You'll need a line attached to the block to pull it up the hill. You should be able to send the block back down the hill via gravity but will need to keep the speed down and have a stop attached at the bottom to stop your block and keep it from bashing into things. Think zipline with a line attached to the pulley to pull it up. Or do the old method of running a rope around two blocks which are attached to trees and hook the bottom up to a car axle and run the car. That's really old school ski lift tech. This would be overkill, but kind of shows a method. The carriage runs on a line that is hung up and there is a line attached to the carriage that pulls it up the hill.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Mar 18, 2020 8:34 am 
On a very serious note, I would only go with a people powered system. Little kids do not know the concept of LET GO. This observation is based on a few winters of working at small ski hills. That's why rope tows have about three ways to stop the rope. The last is a safety gate at the top which breaks loose and breaks a circuit which stops the rope. I've seen kids glomped on, fallen over and getting dragged up the hill. They won't LET GO so the tow operator has to stop the rope and even run up to get the kid standing and out of the way. I've seen kids fall, get the rope hooked under their ski and go up upside down--that's until the panic button gets pushed and the rope stopped. No scarves allowed and if they are old enough to have poles, those must not be looped around wrists. That's my safety lecture. I recommend parent or dog assist up the hill.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities