Forum Index > Trail Talk > 2020 NWH Calendar and Holiday Potluck Social (12/20/2019)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostThu Oct 17, 2019 1:53 pm 
Calendar page winners are now revealed here! If you missed out on the pre-order you can order a calendar here - don't forget to enter a coupon code: AFFNEW20 (45% off for new customers), CHEER192 (40% off medium, 50% off large), NEWBOGO20A (buy 1 get 1 free for new customers). If you are a new mixbook customer the best option may be to use this referral link https://mixbook.extole.com/s/Thomas27 to sign up which will get you $20 off your first order. Planning to attend social (dish you're bringing): Tom (teriyaki meatballs), Michael (Costco combo pizza, beer, soda, plates), Opus (beer, meatballs), Nancyann +3 (baked spaghetti), Veronika (possibly!) (Some sort of dessert), JiimK (dessert), Ski (pie!), puzzlr (Phad Thai), marydave 2 (fruit salad), RumiDude (50/50 chance of atternding) (probably a salad with a few types of dressings), BarbE (Caesar Salad), Kim, maybe (Dessert), Matt (salad), Schroder (tbd), Tricia (chillie), williswall and Cassie (won't be able to make it), awilsondc (side dish - quinoa salad maybe), joker (probably rice and dal - foreign mountain adventure themed), Pyrites (Nanaimo bars, manicotti), Kenji+ (pasta salad), Hiker Mama (Not sure yet), neek (veg. fried rice), rubywrangler (deviled eggs, beer), zephyr (chicken yakisoba), Scrooge and Larch (Famous Grouse) - We'll be very late, Sculpin (just got in from out of town, but I will figure it out), Nickmtn (biscuits), elpezzz (utensils, cups, napkins), Lightning_bug (cheese plate, wine), gb (Salmon), Snowdog (chicken)

Wiki summmary last edited by Tom on Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:56 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
Downhill

Downhill
PostTue Nov 05, 2019 5:21 pm 
To prevent other destinations from becoming over-used, over-populated and damaged by the increased popularity promoted by this calendar, I suggest that the only places that can be showcased in this edition include: Mailbox Peak Rattlesnake Ridge Mt Si Ingalls Lake Hidden Lakes Lookout Heybrook Lookout Colchuck Lake Enchantments Disappoint Cleaver route Ruth Mountain Blanca Lake Lake 22 clown.gif winksmile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostSat Nov 16, 2019 10:27 am 
I wish I could make it, but I'll be in Patagonia! Have fun everyone smile.gif

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
Triciaann777

Triciaann777
PostSat Nov 16, 2019 10:37 pm 
In 2018 Calendar, Most pictures selected appeared hard to get to places, and several I had no idea where they were. I have been hiking since 1992, so I am quite familiar with a lot of places in WA. I ENJOY seeing the name of the location even if it is not exact. Its great to know the name of the Mountain or Lake....etc. I enjoy sensing connection to the places. Some I have already visited, and others not yet. I agree our beautiful places need to be protected, so if that meant not naming it on the calendar, I can accept that, more than I can accept the list that was given to choose from, suggesting that's all that could be chosen from. If that were the case, I will make my own, and let this go. The forest service attendants regularly recommend hikers to the same locations over and over. We are so thankful we have a variety to choose from.

Tricia's Mantra You were made to move,
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSat Nov 16, 2019 11:55 pm 
I'm pretty sure the posted list was meant to be humorous. Those are heavily traveled places, but not necessarily places that would produce calendar-worthy photos.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Nov 17, 2019 12:22 am 
The preliminary round of voting is now open for the 2020 NWH Calendar! Please vote here for your favorite photo in each category. The preliminary will close on Nov 22 when the top 3 in each category will be revealed, followed by a finalist round of voting to determine the winners.

HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostSun Nov 17, 2019 3:25 pm 
Geez, voting was hard. Suggestion: 2 calendars, one for volcanoes and one for everything else? I almost wished I wasn’t living in Minnesota anymore.

Triciaann777

Triciaann777
PostSun Nov 17, 2019 5:27 pm 
Photographers who endured a lot to get those pictures: You stayed out late or got up early, and not to mention the major elevation gain of many of the shots. Endurance is hard to obtain and to keep. Its unlikely any of you were able to take it from a helicopter or plane. Maybe some one used a drone. As for the rest of the difficult shots that were taken I admire your ambition, and ability.

Triciaann777

Triciaann777
PostSun Nov 17, 2019 5:32 pm 
I agree Matt, that Mailbox peak trail would not be calendar worthy, but some of the other places would depend on season and time of the day they were taken.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSun Nov 17, 2019 8:24 pm 
I went through the submissions this morning. Except for a couple, I was close to pulling my hair out trying to choose--so many wonderful shots. I move we forget the calendar part and just print all the photos! I'll try again a couple more times, but I think it very likely that I'll let the rest of you narrow down the choices. This is a tribute to the outstanding photographers on this forum!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
JimK

JimK
PostSun Nov 17, 2019 9:05 pm 
Matt wrote:
Those are heavily traveled places, but not necessarily places that would produce calendar-worthy photos.
I'm not so sure Matt. The Angry Hiker made calendar worthy photos of Mt. Si.
Mount Si Crapper, Yesterday, with Alpenglow, Larches, and a baby bear
Mount Si Crapper, Yesterday, with Alpenglow, Larches, and a baby bear

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Nov 17, 2019 9:17 pm 
What about Barb E’s phenomal shot from Mailbox Peak that won December last year? biggrin.gif

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Nov 17, 2019 9:30 pm 
Having a hard time deciding! all very nice shots.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostSun Nov 17, 2019 11:35 pm 
Boy that was hard. There were a lot of amazing phots. Thank you all who submitted. I feel like I just went to an awesome slide show!

When I grow up I wanna play.
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 6:16 pm 
However, the BIGGEST question of the day - - - will the NWHiker Calendar Social elves - JimK and BarbE be decorating again this year? They are such a festive duo! agree.gif party.gif blowout.gif

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Nov 23, 2019 2:11 am 
The top 3 photos in each category from the primary are now revealed! Please re-vote here for your favorite finalist photo in each category. Polls will close on Nov 29.