Forum Index > Stewardship > America's National Parks could be one week away from handing campgrounds over to private companies
Previous :: Next Topic  
catsp

catsp

PostThu Nov 07, 2019 1:57 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Malachai Constant wrote:
The unfairness of the Geezer Pass is pretty small potatoes in the grand scheme of things compared to income inequality, racial, sexual, and age discrimination. While you are at it why not eliminate military, volunteer, 4th grade, and access passes. huh.gif

Whataboutism.

I was only commenting on the specific issue quoted in the ORAC letter re discounts for seniors. Never said it was the singular issue causing the world to catch on fire.

That said, I'd be fine with eliminating the military pass, though one could argue it's a "perk" of their current employment. I'd be fine with eliminating the access pass too. But I'm also fine with keeping either one, just as I'm fine with keeping the 4th Grade pass or not.

Volunteers have arguably "earned" it.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
catsp

catsp

PostThu Nov 07, 2019 2:51 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Define "handout".  My definition would be --free.  I PAID REAL MONEY for that pass, plus years and years of paying taxes.  Do you pay taxes?  Do you think that seniors do not pay taxes?  Yup, I still  pay income and all the assorted state and property taxes.  ...  Dunno what YOUR definition of handout is, but I bet it is wrong.

I suppose you could say it's only a "handout" if it's entirely free. In one sense, by paying for a senior pass you are getting multiple years free (since the cost is really only equal to the cost of a single year for those not getting the discount). But I'm comfortable just going with "heavily subsidized" if that's more palatable. Or just observing that people with a senior pass aren't carrying their full weight. However you want to look at it.

As far as paying taxes, I'm not sure that makes seniors any more "special" or entitled than many others of working age.

treeswarper wrote:
Using your logic, perhaps we seniors should not have to pay school levy taxes as we have no kids in school.  I'm giving them a ---handout!

Not sure how you get that using my "logic."

treeswarper wrote:
I didn't go on many trips for fun while working and paying taxes.   I am doing that now, and still paying taxes plus camping fees.  I do not get anything--for free, except sometimes my friends with gardens give me corn and carrots.

I intend no disrespect, but that's all pretty much irrelevant to the issue. My observation was, and continues to be, entirely general as to seniors as a group. As for you personally, I hope you are able to go on as many trips as you desire.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Schroder

Schroder

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 7:52 am 
I paid for that Senior Pass and received a contract on the conditions it could be used - including a 50% discount on campsite fees for the remainder of my life. They would be breaking that contract. If they want to change the conditions for future passes and call it something else, that's their prerogative.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Ski
><((((°>

Ski

><((((°>
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 12:02 pm 
Schroder wrote:
"...for the remainder of my life. They would be breaking that contract."

^ why's this so difficult to understand?

--------------
"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. 
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper

Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 3:30 pm 
Ski wrote:
Schroder wrote:
"...for the remainder of my life. They would be breaking that contract."

^ why's this so difficult to understand?

Well, perhaps those who don't are a bit confused, what with the example that was elected a bit ago.

--------------
What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork

Food truck
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 5:08 pm 
Besides that,  if you think that the Geezer pass is unfair, then how fair is it to loose your conditioning and physical health etc as you get older..... how “fair” is that?

--------------
When I grow up I wanna play.
Brian R

Brian R

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 6:55 pm 
Brushwork wrote:
Besides that,  if you think that the Geezer pass is unfair, then how fair is it to loose your conditioning and physical health etc as you get older..... how “fair” is that?

Now that's funny! And sad.  And (sometimes) true.

Not quite old enough for the Golden Pass yet--No need to further stoke Millennial's Hey Boomer hatred. Which is quite the thing now, I understand.
Brian R

Brian R

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 7:07 pm 
Schroder wrote:
I paid for that Senior Pass and received a contract on the conditions it could be used - including a 50% discount on campsite fees for the remainder of my life. They would be breaking that contract. If they want to change the conditions for future passes and call it something else, that's their prerogative.

Trump is coming for your Golden Passport? If I were you, I'd worry more about aunt Lizzie and uncle Bernie coming for your beachfront home. smile.gif
Gregory

Gregory

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 4:37 am 
Old enough to have to google "Boomer Hatred". As much crap as the Baby boomers have talked about Gen Y I would hate them too. The funny thing to me is that who do you really have to blame for the "Millennials"? The very offspring raised by the baby boomers. That would be me by the way. Working in construction I am yet to meet a millennial just a handful of hard-working gen yer's. lol
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper

Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 7:52 am 
I have blocked people on facebook because their generational hatred was tiresome.  We boomers forget that we were the worst generation ever--according to our parents.  It was the same old stuff.  I seem to recall our high school principal pronouncing my class to be the worst ever, after somebody painted barf coming out the mascot's mouth on a wall mural.

--------------
What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 8:26 am 
My graduating class was called the worst ever after 4 of 5 cheerleaders became pregnant.

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Gregory

Gregory

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 11:58 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
My graduating class was called the worst ever after 4 of 5 cheerleaders became pregnant.

Because the girls got pregnant or because the fathers took no responsibility?
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 7:30 pm 
Combination of the two, also an excellent Big Brother and the Holding Company song.

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Stewardship > America's National Parks could be one week away from handing campgrounds over to private companies
  Happy Birthday Damian, chefothefuture, Dogman, ridgescrambler, Bryan K, Eaglecadd!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: